This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• You end up with the majority of the people there just reading, a handful posting mostly to ask questions, and a small number of contributors providing most of the content.

They function more like blogs with comment sections than communities.
  • Rym said:

You end up with the majority of the people there just reading, a handful posting mostly to ask questions, and a small number of contributors providing most of the content.

They function more like blogs with comment sections than communities.

The facts don't support your assertion. If I look at all my subreddits, only the smallest have multiple posts from the same contributor on the front page. Usually those that do have multiple contributions are bots that handle recurring threads and such, e.g: /r/rangers game thread. Contributions come from many people, and the upvote/downvote system actually works.
  • What if those subreddits are about a cultural or media product, like books, narratives, TV shows, movies, games? Can you make a feminist critique of that media without facing harassment? Can you mention that you'd appreciate more diversity or inclusion without being called SJW and told to gtfo at best? How does that feel to someone who is a woman, POC, or queer? This is just an example I am very familiar with despite keeping to the special interest subs. This is why I have multiple accounts to compartmentalize my interactions, so that if one account triggers hate, potentially doxable info will be on another, and my comments in a completely unrelated area won't get brigaded.
  • What if those subreddits are about a cultural or media product, like books, narratives, TV shows, movies, games? Can you make a feminist critique of that media without facing harassment? Can you mention that you'd appreciate more diversity or inclusion without being called SJW and told to gtfo at best? How does that feel to someone who is a woman, POC, or queer? This is just an example I am very familiar with despite keeping to the special interest subs. This is why I have multiple accounts to compartmentalize my interactions, so that if one account triggers hate, potentially doxable info will be on another, and my comments in a completely unrelated area won't get brigaded.

Having been a wizard behind a curtain at Reddit, I can safely say AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

And be careful. We had a mod do that, and during the whole Shelter bullshit, Internet Detectives still got dangerously close to the account with the doxable info.

The fact that I have to talk about a website in the same way one would talk about being Jewish in 1930s Germany is disgusting, for the record.
  • Neito said:

And be careful. We had a mod do that, and during the whole Shelter bullshit, Internet Detectives still got dangerously close to the account with the doxable info.

Oh I know. I'm a woman, POC, and queer. Code switching, compartmentalization, and quick reading people are daily life.

It depends on the subreddit. If you went to a subreddit for a fighting game and complained about the designs of the female characters, I imagine it would be met with hostility. But that isn't Reddit specific. A stand-alone forum focused on the same game would respond the same way because the fighting game community is poisonous no matter what site it is hosted on. If you know of a non-poisonous online fighting game community, let me know.

But in /r/kpop, for example, the opposite would happen. Just last week a group released a new music video which contained a scene depicting sexual assault. The thread for the original video has many comments mentioning how the scene made them uncomfortable. The backlash was big enough that the record company edited the video, and reuploaded it, resetting their view count to 0 from over a million. Another post was made on Reddit for the edited version, and the comments were very positive.

Original thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kpop/comments/5bg3ph/마마무_mamamoo_décalcomanie_데칼코마니_mv/

Post-Edit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kpop/comments/5bl3v7/mamamoo_décalcomanie_editedcut_version/

Also look at their annual census. It's still mostly white dudes, but it's almost definitely more diverse than this forum.

https://docs.google.com/a/frontrowcrew.com/forms/d/17-HlvG-Z-sMcVWyWVOnkhlIp-ea-LsYkqgtV8QMjo7o/viewanalytics

/r/Netrunner is similarly positive, which is really just a reflection of the Netrunner community as a whole. The demographic is overwhelmingly white male, and almost all discussion is about the game itself. Even so, the social justice is strong there. Fanart is received very well, but on the one occasion I saw a sexy fan art it was downvoted to oblivion.

Meanwhile in /r/astoria our weekly "Whatcha eatin'" thread was unique this week, for obvious reasons. Usually it's actually about food. Read for yourself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/astoria/comments/5c0s3t/whatcha_eatin_astoria/

Notice that our local liberal tear drinkers were downvoted to oblivion.

TL;DR: I realize now that my shitty argument is basically "not all subreddits," but I'll post it anyway.
  • Guess I just am complacent to the idea that Reddit is an Internet webzone and thus by default not a safe space any more than any place else on the webs. Like I fully expect that you can find racists on /r/stevenuniverse. The sub culture of that show is going to destroy anyone who comes spouting that nonsense, But that's the culture of the fandom thing more than a Reddit thing.

Not to say the SU fandom that uses /r/stevenuniverse, the fandom centered on /sug/, those fans who make up the bizarre collective of Facebook pages, and those who somehow use tumblr, are locked into the same culture or have the same attitudes...
  • Apreche said:

Notice that our local liberal tear drinkers were downvoted to oblivion.

This warmed me.
    Apreche said:

TL;DR: I realize now that my shitty argument is basically "not all subreddits," but I'll post it anyway.

Yeah, it is. But it's nice to see good things, so thank you. ^^
  • In response to this email sent out by the president of RIT, someone actually defended Trump by saying he's not as bad as literal Nazis.

Trump and Clinton's speech is not "horrific discourse". If you want something that is actually horrific try reading the transcripts of the Nuremberg Trials or the Massacre [aka Rape] of Nanking.

• See, it's this kind of shit that makes me say Reddit needs fixing. AltRight is sub of the day? Really?
  • To be fair, SRotD is not officially run by Reddit.
  • Axel said:

See, it's this kind of shit that makes me say Reddit needs fixing. AltRight is sub of the day? Really?

The reply thread on this thing is two dogs arguing.
  • Axel said:

See, it's this kind of shit that makes me say Reddit needs fixing. AltRight is sub of the day? Really?

The reply thread on this thing is two dogs arguing.
    Infinitely more tolerable than the usual Arguin' Animes.
  • edited November 2016
    Neito said:

To be fair, SRotD is not officially run by Reddit.

That said though,
    Axel said:

What would you do? Abolish SRotD?
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

/r/Netrunner is similarly positive, which is really just a reflection of the Netrunner community as a whole. The demographic is overwhelmingly white male, and almost all discussion is about the game itself. Even so, the social justice is strong there.

For a game that's all about hidden agendas and super-corporate overreach, it's actually a very inclusive in its representation, and has a seemingly more accepting community. It has numerous strong PoC, Queer, and female characters, so I do think the game heavily influences the community in that aspect.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Naoza said:

Neito said:

That said though,
    Axel said:

You don't want to know what I'd do if I got the chance to clean up Reddit.
  • Neito said:

Naoza said:

Neito said:

That said though,
    Axel said:

You don't want to know what I'd do if I got the chance to clean up Reddit.
    Getting rid of SRotD is just a start, for me, if it's that bad of a system that it lets an abusive hate subreddit get more attention.
  • It would be a March to the Sea for me. Salt the ground of some communities so badly their grandchildren tell the tale.
  • Neito said:

It would be a March to the Sea for me. Salt the ground of some communities so badly their grandchildren tell the tale.

I'm not even sure I'd be against that. Just leave the specialized communities I freequent alone.
  • Unless it's stuff like red pill you're going to be fine.
  • Then I'd be fine. That said I'm somewhat reminded of a debate I had a few years ago. Right around the time of the "9/11 Mosque" where I sat and argued why free speech and expression explicitly allowed something that so many found objectionable. (wrongly in that case but still)

Salting the earth under toxic subreddits sorta feels like we're now the conservatives arguing against the "9/11 Mosque" only now somehow it's ok because they're undoubtedly shitlords. Maybe it's just my own naivety but I don't see how the situation is different.

Before you call me a bad person for defending them, I'm not. I just want to understand.
  • Naoza said:

Then I'd be fine. That said I'm somewhat reminded of a debate I had a few years ago. Right around the time of the "9/11 Mosque" where I sat and argued why free speech and expression explicitly allowed something that so many found objectionable. (wrongly in that case but still)

Salting the earth under toxic subreddits sorta feels like we're now the conservatives arguing against the "9/11 Mosque" only now somehow it's ok because they're undoubtedly shitlords. Maybe it's just my own naivety but I don't see how the situation is different.

Before you call me a bad person for defending them, I'm not. I just want to understand.

The difference is that the mosque wasn't actively saying or advising people to pursue actions that infringe on the rights of others. The mosque wasn't saying "Yeah, all women are sluts who don't wanna be called sluts, so just break through any Last Minute Resistance".

I understand your worry, but there's a difference between salting the ground under something that's perfectly find, and salting the ground under active rapist breeding grounds.
  • The people opposing the FiDi mosque wanted the government to ban a religious organization from being able to own property in a neighborhood, which is a pretty clear First Amendment violation.

We're discussing using control of a private entity (Reddit) to control what kind of speech gets allowed on Reddit. It's qualitatively different because a) the control isn't being exerted by the government (and therefore doesn't impact First Amendment rights) and b) the subreddits in question are full of hate speech.
  • How many times we gotta post that XKCD comic? Apparently more times than we already have. So here it is yet again.

• Reddit, a private entity, has a civic duty to quash the use of its platform by hate groups.

The nazis and kkk can form their own reddit if they want OH WAIT THEY DID IT'S VOAT
  • Neito said:

Naoza said:

Then I'd be fine. That said I'm somewhat reminded of a debate I had a few years ago. Right around the time of the "9/11 Mosque" where I sat and argued why free speech and expression explicitly allowed something that so many found objectionable. (wrongly in that case but still)

The difference is that the mosque wasn't actively saying or advising people to pursue actions that infringe on the rights of others. The mosque wasn't saying "Yeah, all women are sluts who don't wanna be called sluts, so just break through any Last Minute Resistance".

I understand your worry, but there's a difference between salting the ground under something that's perfectly find, and salting the ground under active rapist breeding grounds.
    That's the first place my mind went, but because I'm classically trained in debate I had to think: "If I was a shitlord how would I combat this?"

And so the shitlord says:

Mosques are where terrorists go to meet outside of watchful eyes or where not terrorists go to become terrorists. The question is clearly one of whether you prefer terrorists or rapists. (assuming I'm one of the shitlords who concedes that redpill is a breeding ground for rapists, not likely. I just personally can't think of a way in which it's not.)

It now becomes a shouting match. Unless you have something to sway a shitlord. Either a shouting match or an evidence measuring contest. Either way.

Just to be fully clear, I support your sentiments, I just feel like I'm doing so not in good conscience.
  • edited November 2016
    Ok, point taken. And a good one at that. Conscience cleared. Guess I'd thought to think of reddit as public and not private.

And ya know what, to having thought a bit more. That fact does not bode well for those who are in charge at reddit. While I still think that a forum and a sorting algorithm can't be bad. The people who own them sure as shit can be. Allowing that bile to exist unchecked is just as bad as being a part of it. I hereby rescind my statements in defense of reddit(well the owners/operators anyway). And I hope others read my ignorance and future connecting of the dots and learn, as I did.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • JonTron did a Breitbart Interview to complain about mainstream media and SJWs. Not going to link to it, but this is pretty shit. Some people assumed he was apart of GG because he was a free speech advocate saying the word "retard" but talking to Breitbart to spouts his opinions is very bad. This is super concerning because with his audience on Youtube and Twitter, that's gonna make for a lot of shittier followers. I've wanted to stop following him because his content's become pretty bad as of late, but now I'm definitely out.
  • I stopped following him because of his absolute dicketry over the word "retard" already, and then he more or less said Gamergate was right while being an ignorant little shit (kinda like James Rolfe), and now he's done this. So pretty much any love I had left for him has been eroded away.
  • Nukerjsr said:

JonTron did a Breitbart Interview to complain about mainstream media and SJWs. Not going to link to it, but this is pretty shit. Some people assumed he was apart of GG because he was a free speech advocate saying the word "retard" but talking to Breitbart to spouts his opinions is very bad. This is super concerning because with his audience on Youtube and Twitter, that's gonna make for a lot of shittier followers. I've wanted to stop following him because his content's become pretty bad as of late, but now I'm definitely out.

Literal neckbeard proves namesake.