This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Comments

• My Wii U is definitely a pick up and put down type of console. I'll get a game, play through it, and wait a couple months for the next game while playing other stuff. Still seems like I use it more than some though.
  • edited October 2014
    Every system is pretty much a backlog of games at this point for me.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I am glad I bought mine. My daughter is about 3 and a half now, and it'll be the console she graduates onto when I finish administering my strict retro-game training regiment.

So far, I have very much enjoyed Mario 3D World, NES Remix 1 & 2, Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U + Super Luigi U. I would not hesitate to recommend those big first party releases to anyone.

Some of the second-tier titles have been very enjoyable too, though, such as ZombiU, Nano Assault, and Sonic racing. Game+Wario and Tank! Tank! Tank! were the only complete shit games I have played.

There are plenty of other promising looking games I haven't gotten to yet: Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Dr Luigi, Pushmo World, Rayman Legends, Hyrule Warrios.

Later this year, Smash Bros, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (reconfirmed for Dec 5th) and the Bayonetta 1+2 combo pack all look like great games.

So I spent several hundred dollars to play a handful of games. I could also choose to play a bunch of indie games on Wii U like Guacamelee and Shovel Knight, or 3rd party ports like Deus Ex: HR, but why overpay when that sort of stuff can be had on a Steam sale?

If you are going to game on the cheap, fuck no you should not buy a Wii U. But I'd advocate it if you've got cash to burn. A PC is a must. Given that, exclusives on PS4/XBone are going to mirror the same types of games you get on your PC. Wii U exclusives stand out as something unique, so I don't regret owning it.
  • Ah yeah Pikmin was pretty good too. I recently beat Rayman Legends and Hyrule Warriors is okay. I played a lot of Dynasty Warriors 3 or so and I thought a Zelda themed one would be cool. I kinda forgot how rickety the DW gameplay is though. I'll get back around to Wonderful 101 at some point too but there's a couple things about that game that just rub me the wrong way.
  • No way. No she fucking didn't.

Villager's pocket move can be downright nasty.
  • That seems really weird. I think pit has a lot of dmg because the tree hits villager and doesn't send very far.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm working my way through Classic with everyone. Difficulty 9 is tough for me because my characters get launched out too easy (Ness, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, etc.). I agree that the Circle Pad is not very great, but I've started to get used to it. My big issue is accidental Tilts vs. Smashes and vice versa.

But I'm pretty good at 1 vs. 1. I've done pretty good on For Glory mode online. But I don't think I'll play it much. It bans custom moves, which is totally lame. I rely on Ness and Mega Man's customs for my playstyles.

But, any difficulty I'm having will be toned down next month when I can use the GC controller on the Wii U version.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I will say that doing the team battles at higher levels in classic is infuriating. The team member usually is a way lower difficulty so they'll just sit around while two high leveled characters gang up on you.
  • MATATAT said:

That seems really weird. I think pit has a lot of dmg because the tree hits villager and doesn't send very far.

Both were at 100% since they were smoking, but the tree has large damage and ridiculous knockback without high damage. Also, where did you see villager get hit?
  • ThatGent said:

Both were at 100% since they were smoking, but the tree has large damage and ridiculous knockback without high damage. Also, where did you see villager get hit?

Right as she reached the edge the first time.

• Pretty sure villager is immune to his own tree.
  • edited October 2014
    That was when the villager used her projectile grab special, she caught it before it touched her.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • I was reading that Robin has a weapon durability system where her/his weapon can break through use. I guess it is supposed to mimic weapon uses in Fire Emblem but honestly just sorta sounds like a bad idea.
  • My skill is approaching its former level, which is to say, still shit.

How the hell can you get a 40 hit combo in training? The 10 hit combo was hard enough!

There was some misinformation regarding a final smash. Final smash is indeed when you break the smash ball and then just press B for a special attack. If you do a smash attack (direction + A) while the smash ball is on you, it's a smash attack, but that's not a final smash.

This video has been on my YouTube Watch later list for months. I'm curious how much of it is still applicable in the new smash. This is Ken, the King of Smash, teaching you how it's played.

• Apreche said:

How the hell can you get a 40 100 hit combo in training? The 10 hit combo was hard enough!

I cheated and spawned items to get the 40 combo, still working on the 100 combo and the 400 overall combo.
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

How the hell can you get a 40 100 hit combo in training? The 10 hit combo was hard enough!

I cheated and spawned items to get the 40 combo, still working on the 100 combo and the 400 overall combo.
    What items could you possibly spawn? I tried Super Scope, and that didn't work.
  • X bombs and B bombs, the stuff that hits you multiple times before going boom.
  • Coldguy said:

X bombs and B bombs, the stuff that hits you multiple times before going boom.

Ooooh. Maybe Ill try the drill punch or the rocket that keep hitting you until you are off screen.
  • Smash Balls are good too. I know Link's can get around 20 hits if you hit three guys with it
  • B bombs are your best bet, but there's a limit to how many times someone can get hit within a given period of time, so you'll want to throw one up and do a multi-hit drop attack on the dummy with surrounding bombs. Done right, you'll hit a few times, trigger the bombs, then the last bomb will join in late.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm going to be (finally) buying a 3ds very soon. Should I buy Smash Bros or Animal Crossing first?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm going to be (finally) buying a 3ds very soon. Should I buy Smash Bros or Animal Crossing first?

Either one I'll play with you, but for the purposes of this discussion, smash.
  • Animal crossing was much cheaper, So I got that.
  • Animal crossing was much cheaper, So I got that.

Share the code I have been thinking about statting a new town.
  • Spawn four smart bombs next to your enemy in Training. Grab one and throw it at them from far away. You'll break a 100 combo more than likely.
  • It appears that you can get the streetsmash challenges by simply practicing rather than waiting to rumble at a convention.
  • Streetsmash? Is that like streetpass?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Streetsmash? Is that like streetpass?

Its a smash bros version of it but the game is super fun and has pool.
  • So you can use the home pass system with it?