This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Comments

• I'm going to get a BA from Smash U.
  • edited October 2014
    Andrew said:

If I ever become this obsessed with something, please smack me and tell me I am a crazy person.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • And thus, the day arrives, that my Wii U pays for itself.

Fucking SOLD.

The *day* that tournaments are enabled I suggest we go at it.
  • If I ever become this obsessed with something, please smack me and tell me I am a crazy person.

Mewtwo. SRS BSNS.
    In all seriousness, though, that dude needs to seek help. I mean, there's "obsession" and then there's "OBSESSION".
  • So happy to be in college right now. Now I just need to get a Wii U.....
  • I have a friend who bought a Wii U just for smash bros, and hasn't gotten a single game yet. Between everyone, we should have like three GC controllers, 2 3DS's with SSB4, and nunchucks for everyone else. We can totally do this. Holy shit.
  • edited November 2014
    Aight - my friend code is 3711-8931-9812. I'll be on for another 30 minutes I think. Anybody?

Edit... correction, I am leaving now. But there's my code for next time.
    Post edited by GroverBomb on
  • I can't play now but I'm on all the time. 1564-3673-3514
  • Word. Adding you now. Will have to match up some time.
  • INCOMING THIS FRIDAY.

My body...

• Rosalina is too much fun 1v1.
  • She just got nerfed today though.
  • Oh I did not realize the balance patch dropped today. I put down Smash for a while but have been playing online 1vs1 a bunch again, perfecting my Pikachu. I love this game.
  • They excised Bowsercide. Made me sad... but it really was ~too cheap.
  • They excised Bowsercide. Made me sad... but it really was ~too cheap.

I'm sad about this. I think the nerf would have been fair, but the player using Bowser doesn't have complete control over where he falls, so it's just as abusable the other way around.

Also Nintendo, why you no list patch notes?
  • Bowsercide was terrible. It's still a really useful way to even things out if you take more damage on the first life, but now it's not a way to win instantly against an uninjured opponent.
  • According to UPS my copy will be in my hands Friday by 3PM.
  • I suck at fighting the hand and in big battles I quickly lose track of my character.
  • If its like the old games you can put a name above your character. Makes things easier.
  • Played a bunch of the game this weekend and it took me a bit to get back into the swing of things. I was consistently doing pretty well after that. People online have a tendency to spam attacks which, once you realize they are doing so, makes them pretty predictable. The lag that happens in certain matchups is incredibly frustrating sometimes too. It's generally not that much of an issue but when it is things get kinda ridiculous.

A friend and I started doing team battles today which went pretty well also. We played a garbage team at some point and just decided to fuck around one match with The Brothers Wario. Ended up just driving motorbikes all over the map and the team didn't really know how to handle that. Was pretty fun.
  • Played a big game of Smash Bros. with @Alex Leavitt‌ , his girlfriend and a bunch of their friends last night. I played as Little Mac and, while I was getting the most kills (averaging 6-7), I was also dying a lot. Mostly by accidentally diving off the edge of the screen. I was also losing track of my dude a lot.
  • I'm finally getting into the swing of things with Mega man. It's great until the grim realization that almost all his attacks are projectiles, and any projectile counters pretty much limit most of his moveset.
  • That is Little Mac in a nutshell. Big punch, shit recovery.

There was a shitload of Smash played at my house this weekend. Can't even recap it all other than to say this game is 100% legit. Best Smash of all time.
  • I'm still crap at this game, but this is the first Smash I've owned since N64 and I'm working on 'competent'. The height of my achievements is beating Classic on 5.5.

Friends will be coming over to play tonight, and the GameCube controller adapters aren't in stock anywhere. Someone's going to end up with the nunchuck, or a 3DS...
  • The sheer number of characters is very intimidating. There are still a handful I have not fully explored. I am very happy to have a GameCube controller back in my hand, though. After learning a lot about the Pikachu changes by playing ~100 matches on the 3DS, I think I am ready to up my game and get really competitive with Pika.

I didn't look too deep but I did not see a stage select mode where you can tweak what comes up in the random stages. Anyone else find this? About half of the stages are "holy fuck" unplayable for a semi-serious game due to insane shifting playfields and interference.
  • I like to work on my mains but I also like to take time to know all the characters and how they play. I like to know how they all play. I'd mostly been playing Sheik but goddamn Robin is fantastic. I've also randomly taken on Shulk who I sorta was just playing as a joke character (underwear model Shulk) but hes like the fast version of Ike. There are still a decent amount of characters I haven't touched on this version yet.
  • I think Shulk is very cool. The moveset is quite limited (run around and swing your sword), but I love the mental game of switching his stance at the appropriate times: build high %, then switch to extra launching power, then switch to defense once you've cleared the room.
  • Ok, so there are about 50 characters in Smash. I think there will actually be exactly 50 when the rumored MewTwo DLC hits.

Each characters has about 15-20 unique moves, some have even more. We'll go with 17.

So between any two given characters (including the same character against itself) there are 17 x 17 possible interactions. That's 289 possible combinations of two attacks hitting each other and having to know which one will "win".

Between all characters there are about 17^50 possible combinations of two moves hitting each other.

That's 3.33... x 10^61 possible combinations of two moves hitting each other. That's still less than the number of atoms in the universe!

Even if you just want to learn one character, you need to learn how they match up against every other character. To be absolutely sure of which one of your moves will have priority or not against every conceivable move an opponent can do, you have to memorize 14,450 combinations.

That's pretty close to the number of M:TG cards that have EVER been printed.

And the move interactions are just ONE thing you have to know.
  • The priority can usually be whittled down. All neutral and tilt A attacks I believe have the same priority. Then for B attacks "heavier" characters almost always have priority but their attacks are slower.
  • Smash is not really about learning combinations of moves, it's more about knowing characters weaknesses, or even the play style of the person themselves. It's much more about getting into their head.
    As said above, most moves have predictable priorities.

If you know how to edge guard, know the basic match ups of each character, and know how to recover, you should be able to put up a good fight.