This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

4chan Murder

A woman was murdered in Port Orchard, Washington. The details of the murder were posted on 4chan, apparently by the killer.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/deputies-investigating-apparent-homicide-port-orch/nhzT6/
On 4chan, the message was surrounded by photos of a dead woman's body, possibly the victim. The victim appears nude, with marks on her throat. The comment next to the photos reads, "Check the news for Port Orchard Washington in a few hours. Her son will be home from school soon. He'll find her, then call the cops. I just wanted to share the pics before they find me. I bought a BB gun that looks realistic enough. When they come, I'll pull it and it will be suicide by cop. I understand the doubts. Just check the f------ news. I have to lose my phone now."

Comments

• Sad and strange, if true. Supposing that article is correct, what could have been done to avoid this? Better mental health services, or better education from an early age?
  • Not living in America? Suicide by cop seems to be a very American concept.
  • Washington is a weird place. There's lots of crazy rednecks. But they also are familiar with technology.
  • Starfox said:

Sad and strange, if true. Supposing that article is correct, what could have been done to avoid this? Better mental health services, or better education from an early age?

Better world and culture to live in.
  • Hard to prevent someone from committing a murder, unless you 'see it coming' and have the means to stop it.

Even a sane person has the agency to kill at their own discretion. Unless you can mind read or predict the future (Minority Report), there's no real prevention.

The only practical prevention is to instil compassion and forgiveness at a young age. We have sex education, why not have violence education.

"Learn to fight so you don't have to"

Violence to defend, not as an expression (hate/ vengeance/ "art").
  • I actually saw the original thread screencapped on Reddit, not realizing that it was a real murder. The comments attached to the other pictures aren't any better...
  • Dazzle369 said:

The only practical prevention is to instil compassion and forgiveness at a young age. We have sex education, why not have violence education.

I'm gonna stop you right there and say sex education in America, by and large, is a fucking joke.
  • This could be the son who found the body. He posted that on 4chan, then left the scene, then came back. Ta daa! Suspicion moved to random internet guy.
  • This could be the son who found the body. He posted that on 4chan, then left the scene, then came back. Ta daa! Suspicion moved to random internet guy.

I was thinking the same thing! If this were a crime investigation police procedural drama, that would be the first twist reveailed midway through the episode.

• Meanwhile, in the UK, an angry author tracks down someone who posted a bad review on Goodreads, and violently assaults her by smashing a full wine bottle over her head.

Strangely enough, there is very little talk of possible suicide by cop.
  • Well, in this case, the poster is claiming to actively be attempting to get the police to shoot him. "Suicide by cop" in the US basically means that someone pulls a gun or otherwise does everything they can to make the police believe they are about to use deadly force, compelling a deadly response.

So, not just assaulting someone, but brandishing a real (looking) weapon and acting as though you are about to use it directly against the police who have weapons drawn and are demanding surrender.
  • Meanwhile, in the UK, an angry author tracks down someone who posted a bad review on Goodreads, and violently assaults her by smashing a full wine bottle over her head.

Strangely enough, there is very little talk of possible suicide by cop.

They'll probably talk to him like a bunch of jerks.

Or maybe if he brandishes the bottle enough they'll hit him with their truncheons.
  • Yeah. That's a really, really, really hard way to go about killing yourself in the UK.
  • And my opinion on Port Orchard doesn't get any better. Sigh.
  • 4chan going overboard?
    So what else is new?
  • I was in the middle of watching The Fall on Netflix when this happened.

Feels weird man
  • Rym, where did you find that story? Has a very Farky feel.
  • I don't know about the 4chan stuff, but that murder did happen. I was at my parents tonight and saw it on the news. I don't recall them mentioning 4chan or the internet.
  • Yeah they suspended 12 schools looking for the suspects vehicle.
  • That's nice. It's good he gave himself up. More murderers should do that.
  • It definitely was on 4chan...