This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - US Midterm Election Special

Tonight on GeekNights, Rym is back from PAX Australia, and we're finally resuming our regular schedule next week! But, to get the ball rolling, and considering several of our friends voted incorrectly in the US New York State Midterm Elections of 2014, we discuss how and why we voted. (No on 1, Yes on 2, Yes on 3). Rym tells us a little about his time in Sydney before PAX, and Scott tells us about the Fantasy Flight streams and the Netrunner World Championships.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I think this is the best representation of Red Baron Pizza I have ever seen.

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I bought and played Red Barron or Red Barron II a fuckton. I don't remember a pizza coupon, but I do remember a quite chunky book on the history of the real Red Barron, with a very lengthy review about who shot him down.

Fast forward 10 years, and I was irrationally excited to find out that I now live one street away from Baron Von Richthofen Strasse!

Ah, the little things in life.
  • edited November 2014
    I guess if it was your "back up plan" then this wouldn't matter but I am fairly sure the US will make you relinquish your citizenship if you are seeking citizenship with another country. My mom went through a bunch of shit when we were trying to move back to the US and the US has some straight up bullshit laws on green cards etc.

Luckily I have uncontested dual citizenship being born in the US with an Australian and American parent. So I can definitely peace the fuck out if necessary.

EDIT: Actually maybe its just the other way. Seeking US residency will make you denounce any other residency. It looks like Australia also had a similar rule but was changed after we had issues with it (sometime in 2002, we had issues in 2000).
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

I guess if it was your "back up plan" then this wouldn't matter but I am fairly sure the US will make you relinquish your citizenship if you are seeking citizenship with another country.

Dual citizenship is super easy. You just have to keep paying your expat taxes. A lot of people I know have multiple passports.

To quote the US Government on the matter:
    In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.
    The biggest reason US expats get in trouble is that they stop paying taxes while abroad.

• edited November 2014
    Yeah I think it's tougher to gain U.S. citizenship than it is to lose it. Our issue was my mom has a green card since to gain citizenship she needs to relinquish her Australian citizenship by order of the U.S. government. If you don't visit the U.S. within 4 years even if you are married to a U.S. citizen then you lose your green card. We had missed the 4 years mark by like two weeks. Had to pull some favors with a family member with ties to the U.S. embassy in Australia. It was pretty shit.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'm happy to say that I did fucking vote.
  • I'm happy to say that I did fucking vote.

• I voted in a municipal election for the first time.