This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Smartphone for 2015 - Dare I Sony?

2»

Comments

• I extremely rarely use the flashlight on the phone. Even when I do use it, I use it for a very short time because it can kill the battery. But when it's handy, you're glad to have it. The flash lighting up is vastly superior to the screen.
  • I still have a flashlight app because it has a morse code option to flash out SOS. You know, in case I ever get stranded somewhere dark. (^^;;)
  • I use the flashlight app all the time it's awesome especially when in the dark area of an attic, when the light somewhere is too dim to make something out. I use it all the time.
  • Cremlian said:

I use the flashlight app all the time it's awesome especially when in the dark area of an attic, when the light somewhere is too dim to make something out. I use it all the time.

If you use it all the time, and you are regularly entered dark spaces, why don't you own a flashlight?

I always kept LED flashlights at the entrance to every dark place when I lived in houses.
  • It's more than likely because people keep flashlights in spaces they forget. Also, you have your phone with you pretty much all the time. I'm guilty of this. In fact, I should prepare for possible power outages this upcoming winter.
  • edited November 2014
    Rochelle said:

It's more than likely because people keep flashlights in spaces they forget. Also, you have your phone with you pretty much all the time. I'm guilty of this. In fact, I should prepare for possible power outages this upcoming winter.

This. Also I don't have to worry about the Battery on the cell phone when I'm at home because well.. I'm at home it's easy to charge. Not only that I can shine on something while I'm looking up the solution to whatever issue I'm facing. Without holding two items! Ahhhhhh Technology. Laziness Rules!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • My primary use case for my phone as a flashlight is walking around in the dark and making sure I don't step on shit. Like a toddler's toy. Or a dog's shit. I don't have to do this often, and when I do, I just use the screen, but I'll definitely consider using the actual flash as a flashlight once it's built into Android.
  • Apple finally adding the Dashboard for instant access to the flashlight was probably one of the best enhancements they've done in a while. Between Jeremy and myself, whenever we need the flashlight it takes him longer to get to his app on his Android vs. my iPhone.
  • Everyone who said "why do you need a flashlight app, herp de der?" fuck off. You try illuminating a dark area on your car's engine compartment in the daylight with just your screen. Having a flashlight anywhere, anytime is really handy. I did prefer CyanogenMod which had the flashlight rolled into the OS. Looking forward to having it rolled into 5.0, if my phone gets 5.0.
  • The flashlight, whether through an app or through the native OS, is one of the most handy features ever. It has come in handy on several occasions.
  • Everyone who said "why do you need a flashlight app, herp de der?" fuck off. You try illuminating a dark area on your car's engine compartment in the daylight with just your screen. Having a flashlight anywhere, anytime is really handy.

Yep, that's pretty much the size of it. The best flashlight is the one you have, and if that's your phone on that occasion, then fair enough.

• I once purchased this flashlight solely because Jeff Atwood described it as akin to holding a lightsaber.
  • edited November 2014
    Walking around with a mini flash light and a smartphone is akin to walking around with a smartphone and an MP3 player (in the case of not needing a flash light when you leave home).

But seriously we're talking about flash lights on phones? I didn't know this was an issue, I always had one pre-installed I thought it was like having a camera app.
    Post edited by sK0pe on