This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - What Phone Should Rym Buy?

Comments

• edited March 2016

I have completely forgotten what the moral of that story is, or really the story at all.

You can obviously get this information from the Internet, but I'm gonna tell you how it really goes down.

This prince wants to get married. But since he's a prince, he'll only marry real princesses. He needs a way to figure out who is a princess, and who isn't. He comes up with a test. If a girl can sleep on a pile of 20 mattresses and still notice that there is a pea underneath all of them, then that's a fuckin' real princess. Only bonafide royalty would be able to notice and be bothered by such an insignificant amount of discomfort. Some peasant, or even just a lord, sleeping on a pile of 20 mattresses with a pea at the bottom is going to have the greatest sleep of their lives, assuming they don't roll off the side. In the end, he finds a girl that notices the pea, and marries her. They live to be typical douchebag monarchs, and I hope they got the chop like Louie the herpderp.

Moral: If you are really bothered by something so insignificant then the fifties won't fit in your wallet and your diamond shoes are too tight you royal twat.

OMG my miraculous flat computer has a bump on its CAMERA. That's not even first world problem. It's -5st world. I'd say the pea is worse. That shit could get moldy under there and ruin two of the mattresses.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

I have completely forgotten what the moral of that story is, or really the story at all.

You can obviously get this information from the Internet, but I'm gonna tell you how it really goes down.
    And obviously I did read the internet, but I like your version better.
  • Ok. My Nexus 4 battery life isn't so hot. The power button isn't working the best. The blue notification LED won't turn off. Sometimes the phone says "oh yeah I got 22% charge no problem" but what it meant was "oh yeah I got 1% charge shutting off NOW". So, probably within a week or two, I need a new phoney.

z5 compact

iPhone SE

FIGHT
  • Unless you're married to Android or have some specific reason to stay with it, I'd go iPhone se.
  • iPhooone. Apple got yo back. Fightin the feds for all da nerds yo.
  • As long as you're okay with the white-knuckled grip of Steve Jobs' ghost controlling your user experience.
  • iPhone SE, unless something about the apple ecosystem gets up your jumper.
  • Churba said:

iPhone SE, unless something about the apple ecosystem gets up your jumper.

Seconded.
  • There are switching costs to consider. Not saying they're a huge deal but they factor into the math of next phone purchase. Cost of downloading buying all apps again + cost of learning new workflows for things you already know how to do on another platform.

While apple ecosystem isn't my favourite thing, I'm a technologist, I'll deal. But the switching cost might tip me towards the old and familiar, but possibly inferior.
  • edited March 2016
    As someone who has tried both iOS & android, has a degree in design, and strong tech background, I consider the apple ecosystem to be superior. But in the end, it's a personal choice based on how you prioritize familiarity, ideology, & finances. I value pragmatic design philosophies (e.g. ergonomics, workflow, minimal tinkering), and consistency of design language & aesthetics . I think the app store is better organized & curated than the play store. I do wish there were better Google apps integration.

To put it another way, using Android is like doing taxes by hand.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I bought an iPhone SE this morning. It replaces my 3.5yo iPhone 5.

First thoughts:
    • It's the same size at the 5, but a lot more silvery than I expected. All my previous iPhones were black.
    • It feels the same except for the Apple logo on the back.
    • I have to get used to not swiping to unlock. There goes eight years of muscle memory.
    • It's zippy as hell.
  • Not swiping to unlock is the best ever.
  • It looks like I'm in the market for a new phone, due to multiple catastrophic failures. What's the go-to for <5", <$150?
  • Ikatono said:

It looks like I'm in the market for a new phone, due to multiple catastrophic failures. What's the go-to for <5", <$150?</p>

http://www.freedom251.com/
  • It looks like it's a huge scam.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_251

<$150 smartphone is either going to be stolen or some sort of moonshine
  • <$150? Not at all. That one's <$4.
  • Ikatono said:

It looks like I'm in the market for a new phone, due to multiple catastrophic failures. What's the go-to for <5", <$150?</p>

Not the most storage, but probably the best option, a refurbished Nexus 5

• Does it matter where I buy an iPhone? I do want to keep my T-Mobile $30 plan. Obviously apple.com has them, but t-mobile also appears to sell them online. Should I bother to try getting one in an actual store?
  • Starfox said:

Does it matter where I buy an iPhone? I do want to keep my T-Mobile $30 plan. Obviously apple.com has them, but t-mobile also appears to sell them online. Should I bother to try getting one in an actual store?

Buying from Apple Store is the best because you have all the options and the sales staff are not incompetent.
  • I could have preordered, but I went to the store because wanted to trade in my iPhone 5 for $100 toward the SE.
  • So Phil's Nexus 5 decided to go bonkers (reboot loop) & there appear to be no reputable local repair shops that will deal with this problem. My suspicion is that the power button is at fault, but no amount of taking apart, cleaning, or other coaxing has convinced it to stop. Thoughts? Debating reselling it to someone who is willing/able to repair it, giving Phil my 5x, and buying an iphone SE.
  • Bootloop is generally a software problem, rather than a hardware one like something wrong with the power button. For instance, some people encounter bootloops after failed attempts at rooting.
  • Pegu said:

Bootloop is generally a software problem, rather than a hardware one like something wrong with the power button. For instance, some people encounter bootloops after failed attempts at rooting.

Fully agree. I've never heard of a boot loop being caused by a hardware problem.
  • edited May 2016
    http://protyposis.net/blog/replacing-the-nexus-5-power-button/

It happens.

Manipulating the power button quickly can temporarily stall the loop. It occurs on battery and power, on its own immediately after connecting any form of power. I am completely shut out from recovery and other dianostic modes, unless I can get to the menu and select it, while holding an electric toothbrush stem against the power button, in just the right place without moving, indefinitely. Seems likely to me especially since there is a history of this with the Nexus 5.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Apreche said:

okeefe said:

Erwin said:

Now, I am seriously considering investing on the smaller version of the iPad Pro.

The 9.7" Pro's camera bump would likely annoy the hell out of me, but I should play with one to confirm.
    People be hating on the camera bump. I have it on the iPhone 6. When I consciously notice it and think about it, its easy to see why it's villainous. That OCD just wants the phone to lie FLAT! But in reality, it's never ever actually caused any actual problem.
    I bought the 9.7" iPad Pro this weekend. My camera bump concerns on the iPad are moot because the smart cover is so much improved (over my 4yo iPad 3rd gen) and completely fastens to the back when the iPad is open, securely covering the bump.

The bump would annoy me on an iPhone but I bought a bump-free SE, avoiding the problem entirely.
  • Are there good androids under 5" and under $300?
  • You could get the Nexus5x? it's only slightly larger than 5" and cheap!