This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - What Phone Should Rym Buy?

167891012»

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Churba said:

And yet, my phone would stay at a solid 60 percent at midnight, after being used pretty much all day on slack, pulling up guidebook, checking my mail, the odd phone game, etc, etc at PAX, and yet light use, you're at 74% after less time?

I think maybe you need to come over to where the good phones are, Scott, instead of trying to convince everybody how amazing your hipster trash phone is. What's next, a bell rotary?

Matt just said his brand new Google Pixel was down to 20. WTF phone do you have? Some exploding phablet monstrosity?
    Standard Samsung S6, without the silly curvy edge thing. 10mm longer and 3mm wider than the iphone seven, slightly bigger screen.

Just to throw you a bone and save an argument that I don't want to have beyond friendly teasing, it is the third I've had, the first got essentially bricked by my carrier dicking around with the firmware update before it got pushed to phones(Which wouldn't happen with apple, let me save you the metaphorical breath), however, it's performance was basically identical before that. The second was because the replacement phone they gave me was a poorly done refurb at their end, so not a manufacturer issue, another carrier issue. At this point, this actual physical device is maybe six months out of the box, if that?

If you want, I can pretty trivially match my PAX usage, and see if it holds up with the same heavy use tomorrow(since it's a bit late today to fit that in)?

Edit - Looking at the specs, it appears I also just straight up have a bigger battery than you do. But slightly smaller than Matt's, go figure.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My Nexus 5x went into battery saver (<15%?) after 10 or so hours of moderate use. I did turn location on for an hour or two (forgot to turn it off, wasn't moving), but it was mostly twitter, browsing, and slack. It's definitely not the performance I was hoping for.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

And yet, my phone would stay at a solid 60 percent at midnight, after being used pretty much all day on slack, pulling up guidebook, checking my mail, the odd phone game, etc, etc at PAX, and yet light use, you're at 74% after less time?

I think maybe you need to come over to where the good phones are, Scott, instead of trying to convince everybody how amazing your hipster trash phone is. What's next, a bell rotary?

Matt just said his brand new Google Pixel was down to 20. WTF phone do you have? Some exploding phablet monstrosity?
    You seem mad for no reason.
    Matt's use case doesn't match up with yours.
    Your phone runs a lower pixel count than anything comparable on Android.

There doesn't seem to be a need to argue so viciously over somebody commenting on having a good experience with a piece of hardware unless you are insecure with the quality of your device or the software capabilities.
  • sK0pe said:

There doesn't seem to be a need to argue so viciously over somebody commenting on having a good experience with a piece of hardware unless you are insecure with the quality of your device or the software capabilities.

I'm going to bookmark this quote, sKOpe. :)
  • sK0pe said:

I'm going to bookmark this quote, sKOpe. :)
    Cool.
  • You think I'm actually mad? I'm just laying the smack down.
  • Apreche said:

You think I'm actually mad? I'm just laying the smack down.

Yes, but more "March hare" than "Liam Gallagher".
  • If Scott is the march hare would that then make Rym the Mad Hatter?
  • Apreche said:

You think I'm actually mad? I'm just laying the smack down.

• Wow, that was an incredibly unscientific test. At first I thought it was going to be four different tests, and that each use case would be ranked among the phones. So, you want to watch lots of native video? This phone. Want to do a lot of web browsing? This phone.

But the test is structured like a relay race! And the results are presented as which phone is still ahead after different tasks, not which was best at the last task. So stupid!

The best I can do with this abomination of a data set (not knowing anything about screen brightness, power saving techniques in the last 20% of battery life , YouTube optimization on Android/Pixel phones, etc):

For simulated web browsing for one hour, battery percentage used (lower is better):
    HTC 10 25
    LG G5 27
    Sony Experia 32
    Pixel 35
    Samsung 38
    IPhone 7 42

For simulated gaming for one hour, battery percentage used (lower is better):
    Samsung 21
    Pixel 22
    LG G5 26
    HTC 10 29
    Sony Experia 30
    IPhone 7 38

For YouTube watching, minutes per percentage of battery used (higher is better):
    Samsung 2.9
    Sony Experia 2.57
    Pixel 2.31
    IPhone 7 2.2 - shorter total time than others, so not a true comparison.
    LG G5 2.2
    HTC 10 2.09

For native video watching, minutes per percentage of battery used (higher is better):
    Samsung 5.1
    LG G5 5
    HTC 10 5
    Pixel 4.25
    Sony Experia 3.67

For last test, we have no data for the IPhone 7!

I'd love to see the same test done properly! Each phone, 100% at the start, run the task until empty, make note of the time it runs out. Then recharge all phones again to 100%, run the next test.

Putting four tests into one, and then doing the test only once in one order of tasks, is utter bullshit.
  • I honestly don't think anyone was arguing here? Just comparing phone. I personally can't believe an iPhone would have that sort of battery the way I use my phone. I get the impression I'm on mine a lot more. For instance, I choose to work in an environment with shitty filtered internet and horrible IT, so I use my phone very frequently throughout day at my desk for Internetting and communication.