This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - What Phone Should Rym Buy?

Comments

• Got a Galaxy Note 5 and loving it. You small phone people make no sense to me.

You never bike an entire day with your phone in your pocket? Run a half-marathon and want to keep stats and have maps available? Wear tight pants out in public? Go rock climbing and want to be able to call for help (or even just not leave your phone sitting at the bottom)? Hold the phone in one hand and read a bunch of web pages on a train?

• Z5c is tempting away from impending Nexus 5X purchase. The 5X size is far less than ideal but I can deal with it. I don't even see a US release date for it though? All the news says it comes out in UK this month. Converting the price to USD shows it at $850... I do have a hard time believing they'd bring it over for more than $650 though. Is there any Sony proprietary bullshit to worry about here? They drive me up a fucking wall with that. Last time my wife bought a camera from them it came with proprietary, non-USB PC interface connection, memory stick, and a proprietary battery.
  • Rym, Z3 compact is also smaller than Nexus 4. It's older, though, so I don't know how long they'll give it the latest updates.
  • Got a Galaxy Note 5 and loving it. You small phone people make no sense to me.

Two-handed phone wielding is so awkward.
  • edited October 2015
    Rym said:

Got a Galaxy Note 5 and loving it. You small phone people make no sense to me.

You never bike an entire day with your phone in your pocket?
    I built a mount for it since it powers my bike's speaker system but I have kept it in my pocket while riding and it's not a burden at all.
    Run a half-marathon and want to keep stats and have maps available? Wear tight pants out in public? Go rock climbing and want to be able to call for help (or even just not leave your phone sitting at the bottom)?
    I do none of these things. Well, I do have A tight pair of jeans, but even then it's not an issue. No bulge. Well, from the phone, anyways.
    Hold the phone in one hand and read a bunch of web pages on a train?
    Substitute train with toilet and yes.
    Ikatono said:

Two-handed phone wielding is so awkward.

Why would you need two hands?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym said:

Hold the phone in one hand and read a bunch of web pages on a train?

Substitute train with toilet and yes.
    Yeah, I find occasionally I need to sort of shimmey the phone up and down if I really need to absolutely use it one handed, but otherwise it's really not bad. Chris loves it for browsing the internet while I drive on road trips.
  • Meanwhile my Nexus 5 just got Android 6.0 ota.
  • edited October 2015
    Rym said:

Meanwhile my Nexus 5 just got Android 6.0 ota.

I am waiting for money to get the jump, thinking it will be later this evening.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I'm probably going to get the 5X when my contract comes up this January; I'm frustrated by my Moto X not getting updates in reasonable time, and it's getting a bit old.
  • Does anyone have experience with the Moto G? I'm thinking of getting one, and reviews are pretty good, but they're mostly of the 16 gig model, and my provider only has the 8.
  • Rym said:
    Maybe I'll just wait till I graduate and get a Nexus-series, then.

Still, that's downright nice compared to what I've been putting up with for having a Lenovo laptop.
  • The Sony phones have only a few modifications to stock Android. However, they updated to android 5.0 about 9 months late. They were a lot better about 5.1, and maybe Sony will release 6.0 soon, but for how long will they release updates?
  • Neito said:

Rym said:
    Maybe I'll just wait till I graduate and get a Nexus-series, then.

Still, that's downright nice compared to what I've been putting up with for having a Lenovo laptop.
    Funny you should say that: Motorola's currently owned by Lenovo.
  • Rym said:

This is the period I hate, because the images are up. I could wipe my phone and have them now.
  • Meanwhile I just flashed 5. something onto my Nook HD+ like a month or so ago, and my phone is still on KitKat >.>
  • Rym said:

This is the period I hate, because the images are up. I could wipe my phone and have them now.
    Unlike the move to 5.x, 6.x doesn't add anything big for people like us.

The biggest difference? The font on the clock.
  • It's also supposed to significantly improve battery life.
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

Unlike the move to 5.x, 6.x doesn't add anything big for people like us.

The biggest difference? The font on the clock.
    But what a font! @_@

Don't they say that every update?

This time they didn't add a bunch of new features to eat up the battery savings.
  • You can also fine tune the permissions on apps. If you care about that sort of thing.
  • You can also fine tune the permissions on apps. If you care about that sort of thing.

I do, lots of things don't need to now where I am.

They do, but I'll never stop hoping it is true.

• The battery on my Nexus 5 lasts forever now. Like, 1.5 days of moderate use.
  • Rym said:

The battery on my Nexus 5 lasts forever now. Like, 1.5 days of moderate use.

I haven't gotten my update yet! >_<
  • Rym said:

I haven't gotten my update yet! >_<</p>
    I got mine more than two weeks ago.
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

You got it Monday Rym.
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

You got it Monday Rym.
    Monday in May, 2011.

• Actually, I had forgotten when I got it, and the patch level on the phone says "October 1st." I looked at it a minute ago when a coworker was bitching that the didn't have 6.0 yet.

TIL that patch level is independent of Android version.