This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The History of Losing

The History of Losing
PAX Australia 2014

I presented "Losing" at PAX Australia 2014. This is an excerpt from that lecture covering, essentially, single player videogames. From Super Meat Boy to Silver Surfer, Don't Shit Your Pants to The Stanley Parable, Five Nights at Freddy's to Gone Home, I consider Narratives of Victory, and Narratives of Failure.

Source Link

Comments

• I know this was tiring for you but the presentation was great.

Have been losing in many ways in a stealth game - Styx: Master of Shadows, not as much as Super Meat Boy but losing is important to the final win. It doesn't have the bullshit of most other modern stealth games which allow you to just kill all your enemies anyway (e.g. Splinter Cell, Dishonored).
  • edited December 2014
    12 Minutes is a new and interesting game that explores the play space around losing. It's sort of groundhog-day-esque, but as you replay it your character knows they're replaying it and more options and decisions open up.

EDIT: here's a good article on it, via Killscreen.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Cain: 1
    Abel: 0
  • 12 Minutes is a new and interesting game that explores the play space around losing. It's sort of groundhog-day-esque, but as you replay it your character knows they're replaying it and more options and decisions open up.

EDIT: here's a good article on it, via Killscreen.

Very interesting concept, I will keep a look out for this when it is finished.