This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ConnectiCon 2015

Comments

• I'm doing a few more rounds of initial scheduling in the coming days. ;^)
  • I should probably submit some RPG sessions too, after I find out if my panel makes it. I'm sure a few people will get some amusement out of a session or two of Abort Retry Fail or something.
  • Oh right, I'm going to try to make it this year.
  • I should probably submit some RPG sessions too, after I find out if my panel makes it. I'm sure a few people will get some amusement out of a session or two of Abort Retry Fail or something.

I'm thinking of submitting "Quest to Castle Raunchausen". Actually, I'm gonna send you a link to it first because I want your opinion on it.
  • Has Connecticon ever had any stilt-walking type cosplayers show up? I don't think I've ever seen any in the 3 cons I've attended. Maybe lifts, but like 2 foot (or higher) lifts?

I'm wondering about the logistics of elevators, etc, and avoiding being seen as an amputated Chewbacca by some kids or something. Didn't cosplay HQ used to be down by the exhibition halls once upon a time, or am I crazy?

Sarah and I are staying in the Marriot this year. I'm working on a Chewie suit and if I can pull it off, I'm hoping to also maintain the illusion (without tumbling down any stairs, those stilts have wide bottoms...)

I wish I had a better memory for floorplans/layouts. I know basically where the elevator is and stuff, but not exactly how the Marriott connects to the convention center and the path between that and the exhibitor halls.

Getting pretty excited. My underskull/silicone mask are coming in a few weeks and I have to do all of the hair punching, etc. I'm getting the bandolier from a leather working member of the Rebel Legion who's pretty much famous within that group and I think has supplied a couple of dozen Chewbaccas at this point. :)
  • Should say, what I'm really talking about are big plastic bucket lifts, and not truly "stilts". I'm not nuts and looking to hurt myself or anybody else. I'll be practicing even on these for months before going anywhere near a crowded spot. They'll be 18", not 2 feet.

I wonder how much of the convention center is accessible just by walking in to have a look on any given day...
  • I've seen people do similar things for cosplays -- one Al Elric cosplayer comes to mind. You'll want to be able to take them off pretty easily tho. Many of the doorways won't be accessible to someone at that height.
  • I'm hoping to do the "lean" that you see Peter Mayhew do in the films and maintain suspension of disbelief, but yeah, it might be an issue. They'll have a quick release for safety in any case. It just makes good sense.
  • edited January 2015
    I might be looking into redeeming a timeshare to get a house that's about an hour away from the con. It would be about a fifth the cost of hotelling. If anyone is interested, I'd be open to letting up to four people stay with me if they could cover car rental and gas.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I might be looking into redeeming a timeshare to get a house that's about an hour away from the con. It would be about a fifth the cost of hotelling. If anyone is interested, I'd be open to letting up to four people stay with me if they could cover car rental and gas.

If I get my panel, I'm in.
  • George Takei!!!!

GEORGE FREAKING TAKEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I might be looking into redeeming a timeshare to get a house that's about an hour away from the con. It would be about a fifth the cost of hotelling. If anyone is interested, I'd be open to letting up to four people stay with me if they could cover car rental and gas.

Where? You do know there are forum members in CT who will let you crash on their couch as long as you don't mind driving to CON each day.
  • I'm between 45 minutes to an hour from the con, in CT, and I don't even do the commute to CTcon. It's just not the event you wanna have to leave and spend an hour driving home from.

I did that commute back and forth to work for about a year, and it blows. Hard.
  • edited February 2015
    Hotels near Hartford are pretty reasonable, and the shuttle makes getting around a bit easier.

Also, I've never wanted to switch departments Guest Relations before this moment. Sorry George and Kristen!
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Sarah and I are like 20 minutes from the convention center and even we're doing the Marriott this year. Driving home after a long day at the con is not fun.
  • No worries, it's not like you can leave...

One of us, one of us...
  • edited February 2015
    Wyatt said:

Also, I've never wanted to switch departments Guest Relations before this moment. Sorry George and Kristen!

You wouldn't get special access to GT. In fact, you wouldn't be allowed to be his handler if you were going to fanboy all over him...
    Post edited by eggs on
  • HMTKSteve said:

I might be looking into redeeming a timeshare to get a house that's about an hour away from the con. It would be about a fifth the cost of hotelling. If anyone is interested, I'd be open to letting up to four people stay with me if they could cover car rental and gas.

Where? You do know there are forum members in CT who will let you crash on their couch as long as you don't mind driving to CON each day.
    I found out it wouldn't work anyways. They only allow check-in on Fridays. As for crashing on couches, I don't think I could do that. It's not that I don't trust you guys, it's just that I'm the type of person who needs a fair amount of autonomy. On top of that, after the con, I'm probably going to be travelling around New England and visiting my old haunts, so I need to make sure my logistics are squared away.
  • eggs said:

Wyatt said:

You wouldn't get special access to GT. In fact, you wouldn't be allowed to be his handler if you were going to fanboy all over him...
    The privilege of fanboying at least a little all over GT would be the only reason I'd consider volunteering. Pffft.

(Srsly tho I understand the need to be professional, but man this comment seemed a little gruff.)
  • muppet said:

(Srsly tho I understand the need to be professional, but man this comment seemed a little gruff.)

She's a big meany, but she gets shit done.

Really. I wouldn't enjoy GR. I'd have an OMG moment for a few seconds and then gave to deal with keeping other people off of him the rest of the weekend. That sounds awful.

Payoff < Perks
  • What is GT?

I assume they're referring to George Takei.

http://connecticon.org/guests/

It is always a little weird when people get more excited than a smile and a knowing nod when in the presence of a celebrity. They're just people who were in or made some media you like. ^_~

• edited February 2015
    George Takei is an extremely vocal advocate for the LGBTQ community, an outspoken proponent of liberal politics, and is very active and intelligent in other ways both socially and politically, much more so and far more competently than the vast majority of celebrities. It goes WAY beyond "Hey that guy was in that thing I like!"

That said, of course he's just some guy you don't really know, but you feel like you know him, because he's extremely outspoken and his advocacy resonates with a lot of people.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Yeah, agreed. But outside of the context of an active Q&A or an interview, there's no reason to treat him differently in casual conversation.
  • George Takei is also extremely likable. He has pre-rape scandal Bill Cosby levels of likability.
  • I can only assume the volunteers that work directly with the celebs get shields and swords to discourage the riff-raff.

That' the only reason I'd volunteer to do that job.
  • Kristen, I have some note in my calendar to remind you about masking tape. Does that make any sense to you?
  • The camera lens on your phone is shaped like an apple?
  • No, that's the standard (stupid) cut-out that almost all iPhone cases have so that people can see it's an Apple iPhone. Almost every decent case has one (Spigen in this case).

The only reason I even got an iPhone is that I have a Mac and it's just more convenient to integrate. Sigh. I miss my android already.