This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ConnectiCon 2015

Comments

• Hmm... It's far enough away I might have lost more weight by then, on the other hand I kinda want to have my costume done now...

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've lost 25 lbs since I started this costume and now it will likely be a bit loose on me, but the nature of the costume may help disguise that fact.

In my case I had no choice but to start early because it's so labor intensive, and fracturing my spine in October cost me 5 months worth of time because I figured I wouldn't be able to use it anymore so I stopped. I'm hoping I can get it done in time for the con now, it's gonna be a race. :)

I say start now. In two months even if you lose 20 lbs you should still be good, unless you're wearing something tailored REALLY closely to your body.
  • Every year, I grow my hair long-ish, and think "Huh, I should have enough time to grow it out enough to cosplay Spike at PAX and/or comicon this year."

Every year, I forget, get a haircut, and immediately remember like five minutes after walking out of the barber's.
  • O-kay, since the site doesn't seem to like links, I was waffling between a High Plains Drifter look or a Victorian gentleman look for my Inquisitor costume, but my girlfriend thinks I look better in Western so I'm gonna stick to that.

I just need BDUs/fatigues and some minor details.
  • Okay, my girlfriend can't make it to Connecticon so I want to cancel my panel. How do?
  • Email Rym, how else?
  • Email Rym, how else?

Find Rym in person and poke him in the arm until he removes you from the list.
  • Gnaw on Rym's right leg, while chanting "Mormon Jesus".
  • Sacrifice a goat in a blasphemous ritual while invoking the name "Brandon of the House Decoster." Recommended chants include "One of us, one of us" and "e to the x."
  • RymRym
    edited May 2015
    If you mail panels@connecticon.org, we'll take care of it. You can CC me at decoster.r@connecticon.org if you want to be extra sure.

Just make sure you say the name of the panel in the email. ;^)

Or, the goat thing. That will also work.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2015
    All right, email shot off.

And the goat is on standby.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • You should blast Neil Cicierega to be certain..
  • You should blast Neil Cicierega to be certain..

Hell Orbs works for me.
  • pence said:

You should blast Neil Cicierega to be certain..

Hell Orbs works for me.
    I'm taking my dildo ship to the dad zone.

• Rym said:

pence said:

You should blast Neil Cicierega to be certain..

Hell Orbs works for me.
    I'm taking my dildo ship to the dad zone.

While you're there, grab me a pizza.
  • If anybody's interested in staffing at-con for the Screenings department let me know. I'm the new Screenings Manager. tvhoffman.j@connecticon.org . We've got two Screenings rooms at the Hilton. This year we'll mostly be showing anime per usual, but I'm gonna be mixing things up a bit, especially in future years (so if you have leads into any cool movie/video projects you think we should screen and can help me get permission for, let me know that, too).
  • This means that the Screenings department at ConnectiCon is going to get the same treatment the Panels department did. As in, it's going to become completely awesome.
  • Rym said:

This means that the Screenings department at ConnectiCon is going to get the same treatment the Panels department did. As in, it's going to become completely awesome.

I just worry that it will be a reverse Field of Dreams. We'll build it and people won't come. Screenings have low attendance as-is. How many people are going to go over to the Hilton for them?
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

This means that the Screenings department at ConnectiCon is going to get the same treatment the Panels department did. As in, it's going to become completely awesome.

I just worry that it will be a reverse Field of Dreams. We'll build it and people won't come. Screenings have low attendance as-is. How many people are going to go over to the Hilton for them?
    Yup, that worries me too. Last year's headcounts are sad. But in addition to the location problem, I've heard that Screenings didn't get their info into the program last year, which probably made matters worse.

I wonder how many people stay at the Hilton (ie, sleep in rooms there). Sometimes the screening rooms were busiest at the end of the day, maybe because people were on their way back to bed.
  • jtvh said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Yup, that worries me too. Last year's headcounts are sad. But in addition to the location problem, I've heard that Screenings didn't get their info into the program last year, which probably made matters worse.

I wonder how many people stay at the Hilton (ie, sleep in rooms there). Sometimes the screening rooms were busiest at the end of the day, maybe because people were on their way back to bed.
    If there were screening rooms in the hotel that I was staying in at a convention, I would definitely stop by in the early morning and the before bed hours.
  • Part of the strategy is to do it awesomely, and then spread the word.

The first few years we did panels before 11am, NOBODY went to them. But people slowly realized they were there and eventually we were able to start panels in the morning and get a crowd.
  • Rym said:

Part of the strategy is to do it awesomely, and then spread the word.

The first few years we did panels before 11am, NOBODY went to them. But people slowly realized they were there and eventually we were able to start panels in the morning and get a crowd.

True, working the morning shift last year I was surprised by the morning attendance.
  • Wyatt and I are going over the panels suggestions from last year. Do we have one roll of painter's masking tape for every panel staffer?
  • Wyatt and I are going over the panels suggestions from last year. Do we have one roll of painter's masking tape for every panel staffer?

I don't know if we need quite that many, but we will definitely acquire many rolls. Even if I have to order a case on Amazon myself.
    I love the Wookiee Glove. It's so bad.

Figuring out how to encase it all and still move my hand... we'll see. Once I secure the buttons properly tot he fingers I'll try stretching a black knit glove over it all. This is prototype 2. :)
  • Apreche said:

Wyatt and I are going over the panels suggestions from last year. Do we have one roll of painter's masking tape for every panel staffer?

I don't know if we need quite that many, but we will definitely acquire many rolls. Even if I have to order a case on Amazon myself.
    Agree. Just saying it's 2 months out now, we need to start sorting out the details.
  • Apreche said:

Wyatt and I are going over the panels suggestions from last year. Do we have one roll of painter's masking tape for every panel staffer?

Agree. Just saying it's 2 months out now, we need to start sorting out the details.
    I managed to get the exact number for MAGFest this past year, 9, not sure if that was luck or skill.
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

I managed to get the exact number for MAGFest this past year, 9, not sure if that was luck or skill.
    9...rolls of tape?
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

9...rolls of tape?
    Yup, we used all of it and had none st spare.
  • Aaaaaaaaah my panel is confirmed time to practice it every day!
  • I managed to get the slightly shiny cut of my NXT panel done today (in total over 12 hours of editing needed ugh) at the moment I am clocking in at 1:18 for the length. I am going to see if I can cut out of things to give myself enough time. However if you want to know the format of it here is a hint: