This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Will AI Destroy Us?

2»

Comments

• Ilmarinen said:

Anything we turn over to ai will already has set processes and best practices. Why would ai need to be able to step outside these?

Only the most trivial of tasks (ones that have most definitely already been automated) have set processes and best practices that explicitly cover all possible things that could happen in that context. Once you start looking at many real-world problems you can't account for every possibility, and thus your AI needs to be able to make decisions.
    Ilmarinen said:

I'm not saying automation and ai won't have uses, but rather that there is no reason to have a strong, general purpose ai with anything resembling free will. Rym's example of a subway ai is probably very likely, but does it require free will? I don't think so, it just needs to be able to respond to specific and general criteria, and in any other cases, just call a human.

What's the actual difference between "responding to specific and general criteria" and "free will"? What matters is the breadth of the range of situations the AI needs to be able to deal with. The broader that range, the more intelligence is required in order to be able to evaluate each individual situation and make a decision for that situation. Also, if "free will" refers to anything meaningful, it's that decision-making process.
    Ilmarinen said:

How does an ai handle security, material damage, theft and robbery? It shouldn't, as justice is a human thing and innately irrational.

Ilmarinen said:

I didn't say justice is innate, I said it's innately irrational. If a machine handed out judgement upon humans, that would remove the humanity from justice, and therefore the whole point of the process.

I don't particularly agree with your definition of "irrational" here. Being rational means making your beliefs conform to reality, and acting in a way that is in accordance with your beliefs and your values. The values themselves, however, are not fixed down by "rationality"; in and of itself, justice is neither rational nor irrational.

On the whole, there is no reason why a machine cannot do a good job performing the function of "justice".
    Ilmarinen said:

Rather than an intelligent, self aware, and autonomous ai, all you need is enough ai to handle customer service and route some trains.

Customer service requires a decidedly non-trivial amount of intelligence.

Then we still get to the issue of if something fucks up due to mechanical reasons (which, besides "an asshole on the tracks," I assume is one of the more common reasons for delays). As long as things run smoothly of course we could have arrivals at stations every five minutes, yes, but if something malfunctions, while it is a given the AIs will be able to react to emergent information, we still get delays as AI slow down or even stop their trains until the situation resolves. Much more efficient when it runs smoothly, yes, but it makes the kinks even more glaring and jarring when they happen.

Maybe more jarring in a relative sense, but in this case (and in all too many other applications) a well-designed AI can potentially be both more efficient and safer than a human.
  • After having a discussion with Dimitri at PAX Aus, it wouldn't take much for AI to supersede us even with the most basic of tasks.

In reference to human intelligence, I agree we are just complex machines, just very flawed ones, with excessive errors and variability.

Every puppy, kitten and behavioral consult I did for a dog or cat with their owner was the pet out smarting the human client. The human refused to believe they were outsmarted. The subconscious, arrogant and ignorant mentality of "it's not possible for X to be smarter than us" would be enough to let any life form with advanced communication to destroy humans whether it be AI or ET. #hollywoodplot
  • According to this, T-Mobile's LTE is significantly faster than Verizon's, but has slightly less overall coverage for the average user.
  • I believe it. Their coverage is atrocious though.
  • MATATAT said:

I believe it. Their coverage is atrocious though.

Depends. If you're in the greater New York Metro Area, it's basically 100%.

• sK0pe said:

After having a discussion with Dimitri at PAX Aus, it wouldn't take much for AI to supersede us even with the most basic of tasks.

That was a good (if rushed) breakfast!

We'll have to do it again next year.

• Yeah, from the people that I know who have T-Mobile it is entirely dependent on where you are. In the suburbs of Seattle (I mean, the greater Seattle area like Lynnwood and Federal Way) it isn't too bad. But for some reason in Seattle proper it is horrendous. Living on Capitol Hill my girlfriend when she had it had to go out on our balcony to get service. Granted, my service with Version isn't super great in our apartment but it was much much better than hers. She has AT&T now and her's is possibly better than mine.
  • T-Mobile is adding roll over data. They win.
  • HMTKSteve said:

T-Mobile is adding roll over data. They win.

That's a big one indeed.

But just a month ago Verizon doubled my data for no increase in price. I only ever came near my old data limit maybe one month of the year when there were two conventions. The new data limit is more than I will ever use. So you would think that rollover would basically not make any difference.

But the truth is that rollover is really big. If I could rollover, I could get a lower cheaper data plan. Most months I would still come in under the wire. The data saved up in those months would cover the big month with two conventions.

• I will admit their wifi calling has me interested in their services.
  • MATATAT said:

I will admit their wifi calling has me interested in their services.

My Verizon iPhone does wifi calling. It's not much of a benefit. It just saves the carrier money by using your wifi instead of the cell tower you are paying for.
  • But might it make up where T-Mobile fails the most?
  • MATATAT said:

But might it make up where T-Mobile fails the most?

Just don't have any carrier and use wifi only.
  • In middle school we did that thing you mentioned with the ants, though not necessarily by color. We'd catch ants and sometimes other bugs and then put them in a cup or something and make them fight like Pokemon.
  • In middle school we did that thing you mentioned with the ants, though not necessarily by color. We'd catch ants and sometimes other bugs and then put them in a cup or something and make them fight like Pokemon.

This is what old geezers in Japanese bath houses do. Only they use bigger bugs and bet on the results.

• Apreche said:

In middle school we did that thing you mentioned with the ants, though not necessarily by color. We'd catch ants and sometimes other bugs and then put them in a cup or something and make them fight like Pokemon.

This is what old geezers in Japanese bath houses do. Only they use bigger bugs and bet on the results.

I know what I'm doing when I'm retired.
  • I know what I'm doing when I'm retired.

Using genetic manipulation to create beetles the size of a small horse?

• edited December 2014
    Here's my Verizon LTE speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1072744832

That's faster than what most people (in the US) have in their homes with wired Internet. This was also only 4 bars, not 5. I can upload a video to YouTube if I wanted. And I do have YouTube Capture/Creator and Adobe Clip installed, so that is not out of the question.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Here is T-Moble from my office in the Phlly metro area

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1087123700
  • Here is mine at my office in downtown Seattle with verizon.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1072926799
  • I used to get 20/5 on my Nexus 4 with T-Mobile at my office in Danbury CT. Now I get 5/5 during working hours. It dogs out during commute times and jumps in the evening.
  • Scott gets so cranky when he's hungry.

T-Mobile is great for international travel.

I would be thrilled if AI ended us. It would be a lot more exciting than global warming.
  • I do occasionally have my moments when I wish something (AI, aliens, etc.) would just wipe out the entire human race.
  • Global warming will cause massive destruction, but the human race is very likely to survive it.
  • If we could reprogram a human brain with an AI, would AI destroy us? Yes.

*mercy - deleted*

*command - kill all humans*

*acquire weapon*