This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Voicemail is stupid and for old people

Voicemail is dead.

Coca Cola shut down its corporate voicemail entirely. People are expected to send emails or texts instead if an employee can't answer the phone.

People under 35 rarely bother checking their voicemail.

Vonage has tracked a steady decline in the number of voicemails that are ever listened to by a human on their network.

Comments

• I've been using Google Voice to handle all my voicemail for years, and I rely heavily on its automatic transcriptions.
  • edited December 2014
    Not terribly surprising since just voice calling has been going down for years as well.

But yeah, good riddance.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • How I view stuff.

1. 1 Missed, no voicemail. Not important call
    2. 2 missed calls with voicemail. Probably important
    3. 10 missed calls with voicemail. Someone died.
    4. txt message. either used for quick informational message "Meet me here" or initial pings to see if you are available for a voice conversation.
    5. E-mail/Facebook message/Gtalk pretty much how I do all my regular communicating.
  • Rym said:

I've been using Google Voice to handle all my voicemail for years, and I rely heavily on its automatic transcriptions.

I rely on the transcriptions to give me a gist of the message, but actually listen to it to know what it was. The transcriptions are poor at best.
  • Transcriptions are hilarious at best!
  • Cremlian said:

Transcriptions are hilarious at best!

Mine are usually really accurate.
  • The only people I care to call back leave a voicemail.
  • If I miss a call and they don't leave a voicemail or text message, I assume they don't want me to call them back.
  • If I miss a call and they don't leave a voicemail or text message, I assume they don't want me to call them back.

• If you are against the use of voicemail be sure to mention that the caller will get a faster response via text in your voicemail greeting.

This is especially true for me because I get calls from telemarketers all the time regarding the business that I closed years ago.

Same here. I also only pay attention to voice mails I've received on my cell phone. I don't even know how many I have on my work phone, but there it tends to almost always be headhunters or salesdroids.