This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Terrorism in the Modern World

167891012»

Comments

• Two Months ago
  • Yea, that thought definitely leaves a bruise on my soul.
  • Ugh. This is not the world I want to live in. :-(
  • Neito said:

According to reports from his father, he was "enraged by the sight of two gay men kissing" and was on the watch-list.

The watch-list thing seems to be from two separate investigations into his "likely radicalization."

So I'd guess some combination of radicalized zealotry coupled with deep homophobia.
  • I just learned about this.

What the fuck is happening in our country?!!!

http://abc7.com/news/suspect-w--arsenal-in-car-taken-into-custody-in-santa-monica/1382290/
  • There are tons of pissed off people and they have outlets via violence. It's not a new condition. The media aspect is more and more of a factor maybe.
  • Well ISIS has now claimed that they were behind the attack.
  • In one video the elder Mateen holds up a sign that reads: 'ISI Pakistan and Military is Destroying 14 years of US work in Afghanistan to cut AID to killers'.

I don't know he seems to just be really strange, he seems to like the US and hate Pakistan?
  • So I first read about the shooting on Sunday morning, with very preliminary tolls (9 dead, 20+ wounded). And you know what I thought?

"Oh, only 9? That's not so bad."

And then I went on with my day.

Fuck everything.
  • So I first read about the shooting on Sunday morning, with very preliminary tolls (9 dead, 20+ wounded). And you know what I thought?

"Oh, only 9? That's not so bad."

And then I went on with my day.

Fuck everything.

I saw about 20 and thought the same thing.
  • Reddit went crazy following the incident. Apparently at one point 27 of the top 50 posts in r/all were from r/The_Donald. r/news deleted a fuck ton of comments and some links related to the shooter being Muslim, leading to them loosing a bunch of followers to r/news_uncensored. I didn't see the deleted comments so I have no idea whether they were reasonable comments pointing it out or people being shitty, but apparently the comment section was a graveyard so either one is a big deal (for different reasons). Also these two pictures have been upvoted pretty high in other subs:

• Ikatono said:

Reddit went crazy following the incident.

Wow gee whiz I am just absolutely the most surprised a man has ever been, you could knock me over with a feather.

• Gamergate-like typing detected...
  • Is that at me?
  • He's talking about the conversation you copied.
  • Also worth noting - according to an admin post in Announcements, the mods of /r/news were pretty much immediately harassed and showered with death(and other) threats.

According to the admins, it seems many of the deleted posts were people being shitty. Quote Steve Huffman -
    We have seen the accusations of censorship. We have investigated, and beyond the posts that are now restored, have not found evidence to support these claims.
  • Back on topic

I keep seeing this video like it's some kind of revelation. Everyone thinks they are the good guys... thank you Captain Obvious.

I think anyone interested in thinking about American and Western foreign policy for more than 5 minutes realizes the colossal failures therein and the massive failure under Bush in the Iraq Invasion and the lack of a plan for afterwards and the Obama failures to put together a cohesive strategy.

It's obvious that ISIS/ISIL was able to form in the vacuum and chaos that the invasions lead to, but we don't need to 'understand' or 'listen to ISIS, they are an abhorrent group bent on power and abuse. They throw gay men off buildings, they trade sex slaves, they burn prisoners alive, they film themselves executing old ladies for wearing to colorful clothing and then post it because they are proud of it!

There are European Jihadist trying to get back to Europe because they realize that yes, ISIS is made up of psychopathic subhumans and they realize they have been tricked.

So what's to understand and talk about? They believe in a way of life 180 degrees from what the West believes and far enough from what the average Iraqi and Syrian believes that people celebrate when they are pushed out of territory.

Yes she makes a few good points in her video, but I just don't get why it's being celebrated so much. When a power system is so radically opposed to your way of life you don't listen and understand it into a peaceful coexistence, you have to fight it.
  • Understanding and listening to your enemy does not preclude fighting them.
  • So I got the opportunity to talk to my parents the other day. It was sad. They asked me what I thought of the Orlando shooting and if I thought it was terrorism. I replied of course it was terrorism, but then I had to step back. I asked what he meant by terrorism. He replied, motivated by Daesh shitheads, (I'm paraphrasing). I asked what terrorism, in general, meant. Apparently it's horrifying acts committed by either vaguely middle eastern people, or by people motivated by vaguely middle eastern people against western ideals.

I almost didn't have the heart to continue. How can I even talk about this? In the wake of the tragedy. The easy path here, the one I'll probably take, is live and let live. I didn't want to fight, and that's really all I could see happening if I told the truth. I'm sad twice over, for the victims and for the fact that this will just be more ammo in people like my parent's pouch for racism and xenophobia.
  • edited June 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Man arrested in connection with Jo Cox attack was a 'loner' with 'history of mental health problems'

"He was heard shouting “Britain First” during the shocking assault."

Xenophobia is a mental illness.
  • Political assassinations are so much easier to deal with when that's your angle, huh.