This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Terrorism in the Modern World

Comments

• No one really knows the real origin, goals, or rationale for the Malay Muslim terrorists in Thailand.

http://warisboring.com/articles/the-insurgency-in-southern-thailand-is-a-total-mystery/
  • Reminds me of that guy who got arrested after quoting the "office to office" line from Fight Club and replacing office with apple store after a bad day trying to get his iphone fixed.

Or the time that kid on a League of Legends forum made a joke about shooting up a school, complete with "lol jk" at the end and spent several months in jail for it, likely after somebody's mom reported it.

Its still bullshit but in this case it probably wasn't a good idea to quote something about having a bunch of guns when you have illegal guns.
  • Multiple attacks in Paris right now. At least one shooter is still at large. Reports of a suicide bomber outside a stadium too.
  • I guess the only way to find out about this sort of thing in this time frame is twitter.
  • There are hostages right now. At least one continuing active shooter. At least two separate explosions. Reports are fragmentary and all over the place. 18 dead just from one of the shootings, and "unknown" casualties from the first explosion.
  • edited November 2015
    Just saw the article reporting the hostages (thank you @schezar)
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Fark.com :-p
  • Fuck everything.
  • Looks like the death toll is now 'at least 30' with the hostage situation ongoing.
  • Someone is scooping my twitter feed :P
  • Andrew said:

Someone is scooping my twitter feed :P

I got multiple streams going.

You were my catalyst source though. You were literally the first tweet I saw on this.
  • I don't want to be that guy, I know I shouldn't be that guy, but I have to be that guy - my first assumption was "Muslim extremists."

I really super hope I'm wrong.
  • I'll be shocked if this isn't daesh.
  • I really hope it isn't, for the sake of the fallout.
  • Naoza said:

I really hope it isn't, for the sake of the fallout.

That fallout will happen regardless even if the attackers are the whitest christianist dudes. France has serious racial issues. There's a giant marginalized population of Muslims in the country that France has routinely treated like shit. This was politicized before it even happened.
  • I don't believe France has had any incident of violence even close to this scale from any source other than Islamist extremism in living history since World War II. I'm trying to do research right now. The current death toll already makes this one of the most violent attacks in modern history in Paris.
  • edited November 2015
    The Paris Massacre dude, during the Algerian War. The French Police killed somewhere between 70 and 200 Algerian protesters.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited November 2015
    Reports are of 5-6 armed gunman still in the city, with 60+ people as hostages at a concert hall. Live stream and updates here.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Of course the neo-reactionaries are already shouting "I told you so, that's what you get for accepting Refugess, Europe" from the rooftops.

A sad day for the entirety of humanity. I hope this situation gets resolved quickly and with no more killings. My thoughts are with the victims.
  • There is apparently a gag request out regarding the events at the Bataclan. I've been reading scattered unconfirmed reports about what was happening, and I sincerely hope none of it is true.
  • And there's already a bunch of people sarcastically calling Islam a religion of peace because of these attacks.

Goddammit people.
  • The world has a gun & bomb problem. Which one is easier to deal with?
  • I can't wait to find out how we spin this from hundreds dead now in Paris to tens and hundreds of thousands dead elsewhere over the next few years. We're in for more fun times, and by fun I mean I'm so fucking done with this entire planet right now.
  • 8 terrorists. 6 attack sites. Numerous suicide bombs.130 dead. Syrian passport found on one bomber's corpse. Islamists to blame.
  • What can the world do inside of those countries to help? Religious sectarian violence has been a constant the entire modern era there.
  • edited November 2015
    It is a world where Beirut, reeling from bombing two days before Paris, is not covered in the press.
    No coverage? Oh fucking really.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

Not even an exhaustive list, nor did I bother to pull multiple stories from single outlets where they ran more than one, and covering almost exclusively established, reasonably mainstream outlets.

Here's a tidy little tip - If someone says "The media didn't cover (X major event)", just automatically translate it to "I'm an ignorant twit who pays no attention to the news media or the world around me, but I want someone to point fingers at." The media covered it - It's just twits like this who confuse their own ignorance and lack of care for lack of action on someone else's part.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2015
    I've seen people asking why there wasnt an outpouring of global sympathy for the bombing of a Hezbolah stronghold by Daesh.

Isn't Hezbolah a terrorist organization backed by Iran? I could swear I've seen some 'kill all the Jews, destroy Israel' from the group.

Maybe that's why the world cares less?

Please correct me if I'm off base.

Edit: Yeah, Hezbolah is backing Assad. Screw em.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on