This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sling TV is a real thing

Comments

• If skipping ads is ever impossible, I'd be happy with automatically muting/blanking them with a countdown timer.

A blank screen with a countdown timer would actually be the best (short of just skipping the ads in the first place).
  • You know, I'd actually be a lot more tolerant of ads if I'd ever in my adult life seen an advertisement in media for something I would ever consider buying.
  • Never seen a movie trailer and later wound up wanting to see that movie?
  • Matt said:

Never seen a movie trailer and later wound up wanting to see that movie?

I solicit and expect/want to see movie trailers. They're actively part of the theater experience.

Of course, I almost never go to theaters anymore, so...

Nowadays, I specifically go out on Youtube looking for movie trailers. I'm shopping for movies. I don't want to see them when I'm not looking for them.

• Rym said:

You know, I'd actually be a lot more tolerant of ads if I'd ever in my adult life seen an advertisement in media for something I would ever consider buying.

Then what are all those things you tweet about from board game producers and comic publishers saying this is coming out or that is now available? It's advertising. It's not as blatant as a paid for by Samsung tweet, but it absolutely is advertising. Also, Scott, the vast majority of YouTube channels that do make money are doing so based on ads or merch that they shill, which are also ads.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2015

Rym said:

You know, I'd actually be a lot more tolerant of ads if I'd ever in my adult life seen an advertisement in media for something I would ever consider buying.

Then what are all those things you tweet about from board game producers and comic publishers saying this is coming out or that is now available? It's advertising. It's not as blatant as a paid for by Samsung tweet, but it absolutely is advertising. Also, Scott, the vast majority of YouTube channels that do make money are doing so based on ads or merch that they shill, which are also ads.
    Yeah, but I block all those ads from other people, and I unfollow anyone who ever tweets about things I don't care about.

I follow a person because I want their advice. I'm actively soliciting ideas from someone I follow. That's obviously not the same thing as an unsolicited piece of advice from someone I don't follow or care about appearing in my stream/media/whatever.

I follow board game publishers' news feeds and press releases because I'm actively soliciting information about products from them specifically.

Ads on, say, Hulu, are people trying to advise me on what THEY want to advise me on. People I don't know or care about, and who know nothing useful about me. They're mostly trying to sell me cars and shitty TV shows from what I can tell: things I don't want and won't buy regardless of how many times they tell me to. They're also not personally invested in those things, but are being paid to convince other people to so be.

If you feel the need to be pedantic about this, then "advertisement" is too generic a term. I object to unsolicited media being shown to me.

Post edited by Rym on
  • So did you walk away when they were showing the Stanley Cup games outside and there were ads on the boards, under the ice, on the player's gear, and even CG'd onto the glass behind the goals? Those are all unsolicited media. I would prefer that there be less ads out there generally and if everything could be Netflix and be ad free, that would be wonderful, but I simply do not think it's realistic given the amount of money that has to be spent on a lot of these productions. I'm also trying to show you that you see more than you think and it's okay, you're not harmed by it.
  • Why are these productions so expensive? Isn't it just a vicious circle of paying performers more money, charging advertisers more money and then performers pointing out how much advertisers are paying and asking for more money which causes advertisers to spend more money and on and on?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Why are these productions so expensive? Isn't it just a vicious circle of paying performers more money, charging advertisers more money and then performers pointing out how much advertisers are paying and asking for more money which causes advertisers to spend more money and on and on?

That is certainly part of it. I don't think you can put that particular genie back in the bottle though. Witness all the athletes who go play in Europe or China the second that their league has any kind of labor dispute. Someone else will pay, and a wider agreement to not see d more would be called collusion I'm pretty sure.
  • So did you walk away when they were showing the Stanley Cup games outside and there were ads on the boards, under the ice, on the player's gear, and even CG'd onto the glass behind the goals? Those are all unsolicited media.

Those things bother me if I notice them, but static ads in real life are just background noise. I don't even see them unless I'm paying attention and watching for them. They're just noise. They also don't interrupt me consumption of hockey in any way. I don't have to wait for them to see more hockey.

...if everything could be Netflix and be ad free, that would be wonderful, but I simply do not think it's realistic given the amount of money that has to be spent on a lot of these productions.

I don't care what productions cost, and I'm happy to pay for media. I'm not, however, willing to watch ads. I'd rather see nothing than an ad, all things being equal.

I'm also trying to show you that you see more than you think and it's okay, you're not harmed by it.

I see ads on the street and on billboards too. They're eyesores at best, but 100% tune-out-able. Billboards don't make me stop and read them before I continue driving. Subway ads are invisible unless I specifically look up and read them.

And again, none of those things have ever really showed me anything I would ever care about buying.
  • edited January 2015
    Rym said:

Matt said:

Never seen a movie trailer and later wound up wanting to see that movie?

I solicit and expect/want to see movie trailers. They're actively part of the theater experience.

Of course, I almost never go to theaters anymore, so...

Nowadays, I specifically go out on Youtube looking for movie trailers. I'm shopping for movies. I don't want to see them when I'm not looking for them.

I knew you were going to say this ;)

As for following companies on Twitter I am the same way. It is unbearable though without turning off their retweets. Thank god that is a feature of Twitter! Most board game publishers have a horrible policy of retweeting 20 people in a row simply because they mentioned playing a game.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I unfollow publishers at the drop of a hat.

Also, don't forget that allowing ads through can be dangerous.
  • Rym said:

I unfollow publishers at the drop of a hat.

Also, don't forget that allowing ads through can be dangerous.

This is why I do most of my web browsing on a Chromebook or a tablet. If anything gets in I just wipe and reinstall.

My new PC? I have visited Facebook, godaddy and this forum with a web browser.
  • Does anyone have this? I'm considering getting it.

Yes it has ads. I don't care.

• Hulu is about to get a whole bunch of new subscribers, myself included. Ad free Hulu is worthwhile.
  • There aren't too many shows on Crunchyroll I'm watching now besides Ore Monagatari. I might cancel that and get the ad-free Hulu instead to watch the shows that are on there.

I think for the near future this will be a constant cycle. Switch to a service, watch all of its shows. Cancel, switch to another one. Eventually see everything without paying for everything all the time.
  • I have Ad Hulu and it was worth it for the 500 million anime and crap on it.. This is totally worth 4 dollars more.
  • Cremlian said:

I have Ad Hulu and it was worth it for the 500 million anime and crap on it.. This is totally worth 4 dollars more.

I was marathoning South Park on there but had to stop because the ads were driving me crazy with their repetition. I will resume as soon as I can get the ad free Hulu. This is also now the best way to watch WWE Raw.
  • edited September 2015
    Ad Free Hulu isn't ad free. It's just ad reduced. Surprise. Derp, didn't see the news.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited September 2015
    I was into Hulu for a bit but I don't think it had much on there that I wanted to really watch. Now they're the only ones with South Park but I think you can watch all that shit on southparkstudios.com anyway. The only service I still have marginal interest in is Netflix and HBO. Netflix has some good original content emerging but is often dropping shit that I want to watch at some point way past when they have it. HBO is like the only channel that I make any effort to watch anything on.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

I was into Hulu for a bit but I don't think it had much on there that I wanted to really watch. Now they're the only ones with South Park but I think you can watch all that shit on southparkstudios.com anyway. The only service I still have marginal interest in is Netflix and HBO. Netflix has some good original content emerging but is often dropping shit that I want to watch at some point way past when they have it. HBO is like the only channel that I make any effort to watch anything on.

Southparkstudios.com just embeds hulu now. They made an exclusive deal.

And Hulu actually has a really deep library of foreign, obscure, and nerdy things that are the kind of things I like to watch.
  • It sounds goofy but most of my "TV watching" is me just watching Giant Bomb and Game Grumps videos these days. And Giant bomb is basically 3 dollars a month.

• Hulu is about to get a whole bunch of new subscribers, myself included. Ad free Hulu is worthwhile.

Next can they add a tier where their shit actually works?
  • You can sign up for the commercial less version now. There's a few shows that you can't get without commercials, but it's not terrible if you did want to watch them.

Due to streaming rights, the shows below are not included in our No Commercials plan. You can still watch these shows interruption-free. They will play with a short commercial before and after each episode. The shows are: Grey’s Anatomy, Once Upon A Time, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Scandal, New Girl, Grimm and How To Get Away With Murder.

• I doubt that will affect me since I have no interest in any kind of new/popular/mainstream show.
  • edited September 2015
    So you might be into one of these new shows in... say 12 years? 18?

I like 21 year old shows myself, good vintages that.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • SWATrous said:

So you might be into one of these new shows in... say 12 years? 18?

I like 21 year old shows myself, good vintages that.

How about never.
  • What if you like a show, and then it gets popular? Do you retroactively hate it? Or is it ok because you liked it "before it was cool"?
  • It's not because the shows are popular. It's because they're not that good, and will likely be largely forgotten relatively soon.
  • Ikatono said:

What if you like a show, and then it gets popular? Do you retroactively hate it? Or is it ok because you liked it "before it was cool"?

My like or dislike of things has nothing to do with popularity.