This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The FIX Protocol and Finance

Wall street pays my bills.

This is the sort of crap I'm doing on a daily basis. ;^)

I'm not kidding when I tell you that understanding that protocol and its basic workflows (along with some basic knowledge of trading and good Linux sysadmin skills) makes it almost trivial to get a good salary in New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Information_eXchange

Comments

• Oh god Rym you did your shoulder move at the beginning of that....
  • Cremlian said:

Oh god Rym you did your shoulder move at the beginning of that....

That's my trademark at this point.

It's my Phantasmagoria Preen.
  • Who is this Brandon? Is he your evil, corporate twin?

Do your co-workers refer to you as Rym or Brandon?
  • Cremlian said:

Oh god Rym you did your shoulder move at the beginning of that....

You should've seen what he was doing with his legs.

• Yeah I was thinking he should have interjected and said "call me Rym" and then the guy would probably get really confused.
  • Andrew said:

Who is this Brandon? Is he your evil, corporate twin?

Do your co-workers refer to you as Rym or Brandon?

My younger coworkers know me as Rym. Everyone else knows that's my "stage name" and leave it at that.

• edited April 2015
    Heartbeat sound effect in the outro music is a nice finishing touch. Rym has his finger on the pulse of Wall Street.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • It is really weird hearing Rym answer to Brandon, but good for you dude. I'm sure what you said means a lot of things to people who understand this stuff in ways I doubt I ever will.
  • Believe me, it is never not weird to be called that. I often fuck up and introduce myself as Rym in business contexts.

I have actually, seriously considered changing my name in the past. Research concluded that it's a nightmare to do so.
  • I've never looked into changing my name, but our last name is legally Macdonald. It used to be MacDonald but my grandpa thought by differentiating it slightly it would help with things in life, but everyone just writes MacDonald anyway.
  • I hit the middle ground with my name and just set up "Victor Frost" to be the name of a DBA. That way I can tell people I'm Victor Frost and not have to worry if they write a check to that effect.
  • Rym said:

It's my Phantasmagoria Preen.

• So you're telling me I have to teach myself to be really good at Linux and I will be someone worth hiring straight out of University?
    Better add another installation.

Instead OSX and Windows machines Universities should just have Linux on all the CS machines.
    MATATAT said:

I've never looked into changing my name, but our last name is legally Macdonald. It used to be MacDonald but my grandpa thought by differentiating it slightly it would help with things in life, but everyone just writes MacDonald anyway.

Do kids refer to your grandfather as Old Macdonald? :^)
  • That was fascinating. Granted, I had to look up half the words used, but fascinating nonetheless. Have you guys done a Monday show in this?