This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

***** Ban Jen Challenge! For all you cry babies! *****

JenJen
edited August 2008 in Everything Else
imageThe Game: Solve all 10 riddles/puzzles within a fortnight, and I will banish myself voluntarily from the forums. (Exception, I will post one more time in November). I will go back to "lurk" mode.

Banned Participants: One Sin, Mrs. MacRoss, Myself, Rym and Scott.

Rules: Anyone who is not on my banned list can participate. Participates can post their answers for any question. Once all questions are cumulatively solved, I will leave. Any banned participant who posts on this thread makes this contest null and void. I'll check in here and there to confirm which riddles are solved by my standards. There should be only one answer for each riddle, but if an interesting alternate answer comes up, I may accept that answer as well. Good Luck!

Why?: I decided to do this game because there are a lot of cry babies on this forum, and I'm tired of seeing people whining to Rym and Scott about banning me.
For these people I will offer this solution:
Please get over yourselves and stop crying about everything.

Riddle #1 Solved! first by trogdor42
One day, Rym found himself trapped in a room with two doors. Behind the first door was a room made of thick glass that would magnify the Sun's heat to fry whoever went in. Behind the second door was a fire-breathing dragon that would fry you on the spot. Rym reached into his pocket and noticed he had some pocket lint, an old movie stub, a paper clip, and some chewing gum but that was it.
How did Rym escape unscathed?

Riddle #2 Solved! first by Li_Akahi
Some people are riding in a car. They consist of a mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, and two cousins. Surprisingly, they are not Mexicans.
What is the minimum number of people that can be in the car?

Riddle #3 Solved! first by trogdor42
Not understanding how the economy and the Federal Reserve works, Ron Paul trades in all his money for 3 gold bricks. While walking home, he came to an old rickety bridge. The sign on bridge says, "Weight capacity: 150 pounds - No Exceptions." Ron Paul weighs 148 pounds, and each gold brick weighs one pound.
How did Ron Paul make it across safely in one trip with all of his gold?

Riddle #4
Guess all 6 movies below. Actors have been digitally removed. Solved! Answer in thread

Riddle #5 Solved! first by jcc
A bus full of people is traveling over a bridge on its way to another country in a different time zone. It is 3 0'clock before the bus travels across bridge at 30 MPH. The wind is blowing 20 MPH against the bus. No one gets on or off, but when the bus reaches the other side, there's not a single person on the bus.
How is this possible?

Riddle #6 Solved! first by trogdor42
Rym and Scott were about to leave on a morning flight to some anime con when Scott realized he forgot the presentation titled, "M.D. Geist: The greatest anime". He rushed back to get the presentation, but the night watchman said, "Do not get on that plane!!! I had a dream last night that it's gonna crash!! Not wanting to temp fate, Rym and Scott followed the watchman's advice. Sure enough, the plane crashed, and everyone died. That evening, Rym and Scott thanked the man for saving their lives, then fired him.
Why?

Riddle #7 Solved! MrRoboto 9
The day before yesterday, Johnny was 9 years old. Next year he'll be 12.
How is this possible?

Riddle #8 I swapped out chess puzzle for matchstick one. I realized there was a flaw to my chess riddle. Solved! chaosof99
Make the top one (pink) correct by moving one matchstick. Make the bottom one (blue) correct by not moving any matchsticks.

Riddle #9 Solved! First by ColdfireSerge
Decode this:
Ubp dqg Vfrww duh qrw jdb! Exw lv hlwkhu Mhq?

Riddle #10 Solved! HMTKSteve and edifolco25
A long time ago, before the Patriot Act, in a faraway land, there lived a queen called Queen Toadstool and her gorgeous daughter, Princess Peach. The princess wished to be married, but Queen Toadstool would not allow it. So Queen Toadstool devised a scheme to rid the palace of suitors. All a suitor had to do to win Peach's hand was to draw a piece of paper from a golden box with a question mark on it. But there was a catch: there were two pieces of paper in the box. One said "My Child," resulting in the marriage to the princess, while the other said "Lava" which meant the suitor would be pushed off a platform into molten lava. Somehow, the suitors always seemed to end up in the molten lava.
One day a handsome plumber named Mario came along and Princess Peach fell head over heels for him. The princess pulled Mario aside and whispered, "I think my mother is a cheat. I believe both pieces of paper say "Lava". Mario assessed the situation and said, "It's-a-meeee, Mario - I got a plan." Aware that he cannot expose the queen as a cheater, how does Mario win Princess Peach's hand in marriage?

Comments

• #4- Blues Brothers, SAW

• Riddle #6
    Rym and Scott were about to leave on a morning flight to some anime con when Scott realized he forgot the presentation titled, "M.D. Geist: The greatest anime". He rushed back to get the presentation, but the night watchman said, "Do not get on that plane!!! I had a dream last night that it's gonna crash!! Not wanting to temp fate, Rym and Scott followed the watchman's advice. Sure enough, the plane crashed, and everyone died. That evening, Rym and Scott thanked the man for saving their lives, then fired him.
    Why?
    He's the night watchman. He was sleeping on the job.
  • Riddle #3
    Not understanding how the economy and the Federal Reserve works, Ron Paul trades in all his money for 3 gold bricks. While walking home, he came to an old rickety bridge. The sign on bridge says, "Weight capacity: 150 pounds - No Exceptions." Ron Paul weighs 148 pounds, and each gold brick weighs one pound.
    He juggles the bricks, ensuring that he's only holding 2 bricks at a time.
  • Riddle #2
    Some people are riding in a car. They consist of a mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, and two cousins. Surprisingly, they are not Mexicans.
    2 people.
  • edited August 2008
    Riddle #2
    Two. One is a mother, daughter, niece, aunt, and cousin, the other is a father, brother, son, nephew, uncle, and a cousin.

EDIT: Shit, ninja'd. Damnit.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Riddle #10:

He takes out one of the cards, putting it in his pocket. He removes the second card and reveals it to say "Lava". To which he then says, "Since this card says Lava, I think we all know that the card I chose must say "My Child."
  • Riddle #1
    One day, Rym found himself trapped in a room with two doors. Behind the first door was a room made of thick glass that would magnify the Sun's heat to fry whoever went in. Behind the second door was a fire-breathing dragon that would fry you on the spot. Rym reached into his pocket and noticed he had some pocket lint, an old movie stub, a paper clip, and some chewing gum but that was it.
    At nighttime, the first room, the one with the "thick glass", is entirely safe. He waits until nighttime and leaves through that door.
  • Riddle #10
    A long time ago, before the Patriot Act, in a faraway land, there lived a queen called Queen Toadstool and her gorgeous daughter, Princess Peach. The princess wished to be married, but Queen Toadstool would not allow it. So Queen Toadstool devised a scheme to rid the palace of suitors. All a suitor had to do to win Peach's hand was to draw a piece of paper from a golden box with a question mark on it. But there was a catch: there were two pieces of paper in the box. One said "My Child," resulting in the marriage to the princess, while the other said "Lava" which meant the suitor would be pushed off a platform into molten lava. Somehow, the suitors always seemed to end up in the molten lava.
    One day a handsome plumber named Mario came along and Princess Peach fell head over heels for him. The princess pulled Mario aside and whispered, "I think my mother is a cheat. I believe both pieces of paper say "Lava". Mario assessed the situation and said, "It's-a-meeee, Mario - I got a plan." Aware that he cannot expose the queen as a cheater, how does Mario win Princess Peach's hand in marriage?
    Mario tells the queen to pick first and read what she pulls, he then agrees to accept the remaining (unknown) paper as his own. If she is cheating and pulls "Lava" than the remaining piece has to say "My Child" or she is exposed as a cheat.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap, you're a real person? I figured you were one of the mod's multiple personalities.
    Riddle #1
    Now if it were Scott, he would have waited until it was nighttime and then gone through door number one, as he is used to long commutes and probably had some form of portable entertainment on him. Rym seems more like the impatient type, though. My guess is that he walked through the second door and argued with the dragon that it did not in fact exist, which resulted in it vanishing in a puff of logic.
    Riddle #2
    Two, one male and one female, who are cousins. The female has a child, so she is a mother, she has a sibling so she is a sister, she has parents, so she is a daughter, she has an aunt or uncle, so she is a niece, she has a niece or nephew, so she is an aunt, and is cousin to the male who has also had children so is a father, also has siblings so is a brother, also has parents so is a son, also has an aunt or uncle, so is a nephew, and has a niece or nephew so is an uncle.
    Riddle #3
    He took a dump on the side of the road and went on his merry way.
    Riddle #4
    Guess all 6 movies below. Actors have been digitally removed.
    ...line?
    Riddle #5
    A bus full of people is traveling over a bridge on its way to another country in a different time zone. It is 3 0'clock before the bus travels across bridge at 30 MPH. The wind is blowing 20 MPH against the bus. No one gets on or off, but when the bus reaches the other side, there's not a single person on the bus.
    How is this possible?
    They were all married.
    Riddle #6
    Why?
    Most likely they realized that he wanted actual money instead of a GeekNights t-shirt.
    Riddle #7
    How is this possible?
    Someone played a montage.
    Riddle #8
    This game is over in one move. How?
    Someone turned off their Gameboy in frustration.
    Riddle #9
    Decode this:
    Ubp dqg Vfrww duh qrw jdb! Exw lv hlwkhu Mhq?
    Hoc qdt Isejj qhu dej wqo! Rkj yi uyjxuh Zud?
    Riddle #10
    Star Power. Nobody fucks with a plumber who warps the fabric of space and time, whose very touch is death, especially when he has a catchy 8-bit theme song.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I think this is the only forum where people are actually willing to cooperate with a troll.
    Rym and Scott are not gay! But is either Jen?
  • edited August 2008
    Riddle #2

Well, the answer is actually 0, the minimum amount of people that can be in a car is 0 since you are not asking at the time of travel, they can well be inside a hotel, and the car would be left alone, with no one inside.

Riddle #4

Blues Brothers, Planet Terror, Saw, Indiana Jones, Kill bill?

Riddle #7
    How is this possible?

His birthday is december 31st, today is january 1st, he was nine the 30th, 10 the 31st, 11 the 31st of the current year and next year he will be 12
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Riddle #10:

He takes out one of the cards, putting it in his pocket. He removes the second card and reveals it to say "Lava". To which he then says, "Since this card says Lava, I think we all know that the card I chose must say "My Child."
    I always heard the solution to this one being that he gets the card, yells "Hurray! I got the child!", and then eats the card. The only way to confirm it is to look at the lava card. Same idea, but there's no way the queen could be exposed as a cheat.
  • #4: Blues Brothers, Saw, Stand by Me, Indiana Jones (and the Temple of Doom?)
  • edited August 2008
    Riddle #8: In the pink, turn the "+" into "=" by turning the vertical match stick of the plus sign.
    Turning the the entire blue one by 180 degrees reads "16 = 8 + 8", the equation is correct.

Riddle #4: Middle row right picture is Indiana Jones if I'm not mistaken.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited August 2008
    Riddle #7: Today is Jan. 1st, and his birthday is on December the 31st. So the day before yesterday he would've been nine, then yesterday he turned 10, later this year he'll turn 11, and then next year he'll turn 12.

Edit: Dang, didn't see roboto's post.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Riddle #7: Today is Jan. 1st, and his birthday is on December the 31st. So the day before yesterday he would've been nine, then yesterday he turned 10, later this year he'll turn 11, and then next year he'll turn 12.

Edit: Dang, didn't see roboto's post.
    Wow I received this riddle like last week from my tutor teacher and it was a bitch. But that's the right answer. I think.
  • Riddle #4

Blues Brothers, Planet Terror, The Machinist, Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom, Stand By Me, Notting Hill
  • edited August 2008
    Riddle #3
    As a professional juggler I've got to get my "physics-of-juggling" geek on. This is bullshit. I'm not going to go into all the math, just break down how juggling actually works...

1. Stand on the bridge, hold two bricks. Someone drops a one pound brick from a helicopter 2 two years above. When you catch the brick, you are adding just one pound to your mass, but your weight increases due to the change in acceleration of the brick as you catch it.

2. Stand on the bridge with two bricks. Throw a brick two yards into the air. As soon as you let go of the brick you no lose one pound of mass. However, while accelerating the ball upwards, your weight increases.

3. During a stable juggling pattern with 60% dwell time (juggling jargon to mean an average speed) that has no increase or decrease in the height of the throws, the mass reduction of the bricks in the air is exactly balanced by the increased weight caused by the catching and throwing acceleration of the bricks in the hands. The mass of the entire system stays the same, even if mass directly connected to the bridge via the juggler changes.

4. This works with any number of bricks juggled in a smooth pattern where the hands do not stop moving at any point in pattern. Put a juggler with 5 bricks on a set of scales and they will have the same weight while juggling as they did when standing still just holding the balls.

5. When starting a pattern, before you make the first catch, you actually get heavier for a couple of moments as the upward acceleration of the bricks isn't offset by the reduced weight of bricks in the air. Also, when finishing a pattern, after the last throw but before the last catch, the same kind of thing happens.

The answer to the riddle is to hang about until someone trusted turns up to help carry one brick for you. Or, as someone else wrote, take a dump.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
    edited August 2008
    Darned time zones. The ones I know have already been answered although not all have been registered.

EDIT: In light of Luke's answer, Ron Paul (being the American he is) throws one to all his gold to the other side of the bridge, crosses it, picks up the gold and continues his way.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Riddle #4

Stand by Me
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?
  • Riddle #3
    As a professional juggler I've got to get my "physics-of-juggling" geek on. This is bullshit. I'm not going to go into all the math, just break down how juggling actually works...

1. Stand on the bridge, hold two bricks. Someone drops a one pound brick from a helicopter 2 two years above. When you catch the brick, you are adding just one pound to your mass, but your weight increases due to the change in acceleration of the brick as you catch it.

2. Stand on the bridge with two bricks. Throw a brick two yards into the air. As soon as you let go of the brick you no lose one pound of mass. However, while accelerating the ball upwards, your weight increases.

3. During a stable juggling pattern with 60% dwell time (juggling jargon to mean an average speed) that has no increase or decrease in the height of the throws, the mass reduction of the bricks in the air is exactly balanced by the increased weight caused by the catching and throwing acceleration of the bricks in the hands. The mass of the entire system stays the same, even if mass directly connected to the bridge via the juggler changes.

4. This works with any number of bricks juggled in a smooth pattern where the hands do not stop moving at any point in pattern. Put a juggler with 5 bricks on a set of scales and they will have the same weight while juggling as they did when standing still just holding the balls.

5. When starting a pattern, before you make the first catch, you actually get heavier for a couple of moments as the upward acceleration of the bricks isn't offset by the reduced weight of bricks in the air. Also, when finishing a pattern, after the last throw but before the last catch, the same kind of thing happens.

The answer to the riddle is to hang about until someone trusted turns up to help carry one brick for you. Or, as someone else wrote, take a dump.
    I think you're thinking too hard into it. Take it easy.
  • This thread:
  • Riddle #7:
    The day before yesterday (December 30) he was 9.
    He turned 10 on December 31.
    He talked about it on January 1. That year he would turn 11, so "next year" he would turn 12.
  • edited August 2008
    Riddle #4
    The LEFT column movies are:
    Blues Brothers
    Shawshank Redemption
    Stand By Me

For the middle picture in the RIGHT column, I pick:
    Romancing the Stone

The bottom picture in the right column is Charlie Wilson's War
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • As for Riddle #2, a Google search shows that this was published in the 20th Edition of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.
    Anyone live near a bookstore?? Shouldn't be too hard to look up. It's under a "Brainteasers" entry.
  • Correction on Riddle #4.
    The bottom right picture is:
    Kill Bill: Vol. 2
  • edited August 2008
    The movie on the middle-right is definitely Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, trust me on this one. The movie next to it is definitely one of the Saw films, but I actually haven't seen any of them. Unfortunately there are four of them, so we need to find someone with a good knowledge of those movies if we want to finish the question.
    Correction: it is definitely the first Saw movie. Thank you Wikipedia!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Yet another correction for Riddle #4:
    The middle picture in the RIGHT column is:
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • And another correction for Riddle #4:
    The middle movie in the LEFT column is:
    Saw