This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• I'm Hank Alme, 35, married with a 6 year-old. We live in Los Alamos, NM where I work at the lab. I've been here since 1999, when I finished grad school at Livermore National Lab (filed my dissertation on tax day, 15 April 1999). My geeky activities lean towrds board games and video games. I'm not nearly as up-to-date on video games as Rym and Scott seem to be. I tend to wait until a given system has been out for a few years, pick up a console and buy (by then) old games on eBay for a song. I guess I'm a cheap bastard.

I am happy to report that my son seems to be leaning to the geekish side. His big favorite toys are Legos, K'Nex (when did those come out? I don't remeber them). We play a lot of PS2 games together, mostly Lego Star Wars.

I am only recently into anime, after giving it go a few times in the past. When I found Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Beebop, I was hooked (on those at least). I look forward to getting more recommendations.

Cheers,

Hank

• I am happy to report that my son seems to be leaning to the geekish side. His big favorite toys are Legos, K'Nex (when did those come out? I don't remeber them). We play a lot of PS2 games together, mostly Lego Star Wars.
    I'm 18 and I remember having K'Nex when I was roughly 7ish. I'm guessing at least ten years.

• I am happy to report that my son seems to be leaning to the geekish side. His big favorite toys are Legos, K'Nex (when did those come out? I don't remeber them). We play a lot of PS2 games together, mostly Lego Star Wars.
    I'm 18 and I remember having K'Nex when I was roughly 7ish. I'm guessing at least ten years.
    I didn't have K'Nex, but my brother did. He was born in '86, and I remember when I first saw K'Nex commercials on TV. Perhaps it was the early 90's. Anyway, the best K'Nex were the MechWarrior ones. These were official sets fully licensed by FASA.

Anyway, in addition to having LEGO as a kid, I also had Construx. They really need to bring them back. Also, I had a wicked-old Erector set from my grandpa. Erector needs to be brought back in a big way.

• I'm 18 and I remember having K'Nex when I was roughly 7ish. I'm guessing at least ten years.
    So am I -- at 35 -- "ancient" or merely "old" here?
  • So am I -- at 35 -- "ancient" or merely "old" here?
    Doesn't really matter. I don't think that many people around here care about age, just as long as you act intellectual. The fourm consists of a wide gambit of ages anyways.
  • The fourm consists of a wide gambit of ages anyways.
    The word you want is gamut. A gambit is a risk or ploy. I'm not trying to be a dick; the homophones are just a pet peeve. Feel free to pwn me back when I screw up. Cheers :D
  • Hello there. I have adopted the internet persona of Rooster because of the Alice in Chains song of the same name (serves as a good gamertag, with one line of the song saying "You know he ain't gonna die". Hasn't worked yet, but maybe that's because I are suck at Counterstrike.) I am an anime fan/gamer/Texan/Republican/Star Wars RPer (and hoping to GM a campaign over winter break) who is of the opinion that Ender's Game is some of the best Sci-fi ever written.

Also, I'm going to be up front with all of you. I am a Christian. I know that some of you (if not most of you) hold beliefs opposite of mine, and I am alright with that. I am not here to ask anyone to tone down their hate for my kind simply because I'm here (I'm told to expect it) and I'm not asking anyone to change their beliefs. I'm just here because I found the podcast and think this is a pretty cool place. If you guys will let me, I would be more than happy to take part in this community, but if you don't want my kind here, I'm cool with that (it's not like I'd stop listening to the podcast, because Rym and Scott are awesome). And don't worry, if you guys let me hang around, I won't try to convert anybody or get all religious on you.

Alright. As I said in the music taste post, I'm a die-hard metallica fan. I'm currently studying philosophy and hope one day to create the greatest anime of all time ("Yeah, get in line, buddy"). If that doesn't pan out, I'll at least have some cool novels written.

Oh, and Claveman and Red vs. Blue are awesome.
    Stay out of the religion-related threads and you won't get flamed.

• The word you want is gamut. A gambit is a risk or ploy. I'm not trying to be a dick; the homophones are just a pet peeve. Feel free to pwn me back when I screw up. Cheers :D
    Semantics :p
  • edited September 2006
    Have Rym and Scott ever done a show about how to properly run an anime club?
    I ran the largest anime club in the US for three years. We talk about it from time to time, and we're planning a comprehensive series on how to do it sometime in the future.

You could also catch us doing panels about just that topic at Otakon, Katsucon, Animazement, Connecticon, etc...

Stay tuned ^_^
    Sounds like fun, could you please include ideas on how to maintain interest in a club? Through aggressive advertising we've increased membership from around 8 when I was elected to a solid 30/40 regulars. But then there is the drama.. if we show too many serious shows like Monster or Mushishi certain people get bored and leave early and stop showing up. We show more "fun" or mainstream shows like Azumanga Daioh and the snobs complain and whine on the forums. The funny thing is that for all their aggression online, they're oh so meek when I walk up to them before the actual meetings and try to talk to them about their complaints. This is turning into a Dear Abby letter, please advise :p

-Slightly annoyed and loling on the internet
    Post edited by Kite on
  • I go by Mamath on the intertron these days but my real name is Samantha. I live in Australia (like half the people on these forums apparently). I was born about five years after Scott/Apreche and thus am just old enough to vaguely remember most of the stuff Scrym talk about but not quite old enough to have been involved in any of it. I still have my original gameboy brick and I still play it and it is awesome. I'm in my second year of Mechanical Engineering which is fun...

My geekery extends to anime, comics (including manga and webcomics), reading, games and art. I draw, paint and sculpt to some degree and you can assess the validity of my claims on my DeviantArt page: mamath.deviantart.com.

I spend most of my time avoiding university work. >_>
  • edited October 2006
    Hey. My name is Victor Khaze. Most people in the physical world call me Vic, but online everyone refers to me as Sonic. I live in Rhode Island, which has virtually no anime fans, and my geek specialties are computer hardware, networking, and every Microsoft OS from Windows 3.1 all the way to XP (haven't toyed with Vista yet). I'm also pretty good at hardware hacking and modding ^.^

Let's see. I was born in 1989, but I've got an old soul. Don't ask me what that means, 'cause even I don't know. I love all music except really uber heavy metal and some rap. I'm a writer, techie, music monger, biker... I'm a lot of things.

One thing I love doing is taking old PCs, and pushing them to their limits, and making them perform miracles. For example, the pc I'm writing this on right now is a Pentium 2 455MHz with 128 Mb of RAM and an 8Gb SCSI hard drive. I'm running Windows XP Pro on it with full special effects, and I can still watch movies at full screen (1024x768) while encoding a Windows Movie Maker video and burning a cd at 48x. My dad doesn't believe it when he sees it, and my geek friends laugh when they hear about it, but I have the magic touch with PCs.

I'm starting a blog/podcast about PCs, but I'd been scouring the Internet for a CMS until I found out that the Front Row Crew uses Wordpress. Now, I just need to know what plugin they use to make that little yellow box thing they've got going next to their posts and I will be able to finally start uploading all of the episodes I've made.

I work as a tech at a local computer repair shop part time, but I'm trying to get a job at a small ISP in Californina soon.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • G'day Geeknighters,

My name is Mitchell. I was born in 1989 and from that moment forth I have been growing in geekery. Australia is my nation of birth and I currently reside in WA. I'm a fan of all things fantasy; books, puzzles, games, pictures, movies, television series, people just standing there talking about fantasy and hobos who look strangely like a goblins. Might and Magic VI is my favourite game of all time. In fact, I love it so intensely I would have no problems fornicating with it if that act was possible. I am currently in the process of finishing high school and I hope to study psychology at university. I believe that NBA Hangtime for the Nintendo 64 is the best basketball game in existence. I admire you guys for the effort and dedication you put into Geeknights. I only hope that one day I, like you, will be able to rule this here internet.
  • I believe that NBA Hangtime for the Nintendo 64 is the best basketball game in existence.
    You obviously haven't played NBA Jam T.E. or Double Dribble.
  • edited October 2006
    You are right, I have not. I shall put on my running shoes and go find me some NBA JAM T.E. and Double Dribble. If I find you are correct and these games are indeed better than NBA Hangtime my mind will be blown.
    Post edited by midasiam on
  • Heya, I am Germaine. My birthday is July 3, and I was born in Hong Kong. I lived there until I was 17 when I went to the US for college. I was in Georgia State U for one year (sucked), then I transfered to UW-Madison and graduated with a BS in Biochemistry. I am back in Hong Kong working in one of the big university as a RA.
    I consider myself a general interest geek with a focus on costumes: designing, making, wearing and modelling them. I dabbled in the cosplay and con scene while I was in college, and my favourite con was ACen 05 where I won two awards with two of my costumes (besides meeting lots of awesome people of course).
    Since I won't really get anywhere professionally with only a BS, I am thinking of going back for my PhD but I haven't figure out what I want to study yet. Hopefully I can go back to the US so I can further develop my geekness.
  • Hi, I'm Michael, 26, from Sydney. I'm probably more of a dabbler but wouldn't mind being a renaissance man of geekery (oh right, jack of all trades and master of none). I've always liked computer science but didn't pursue it at uni instead going the Arts/Social Science route and now working in a bank doing IT support as part of my role. It's been a bit of an odd path. I'd like to learn more about IT again as I feel like I'm starting to lose even my general know-how.

At the moment, I'm into anime, learning languages and occasionally playing kendo. Very occasionally.
  • Woo Hoo! Another Aussie!
  • I'm Corbin, founder and president of the SUNY IT Anime Club, born Oct. 13 1985. Freshman at SUNYIT in fall of '04 (I chose SUNY over RIT mainly because of money and dorms, but I was accepted by both) starting as a CS major, am currently still the president of the Anime Club and Con Chair of SITACon which was Central NY's First Anime Convention and a pretty good one I suppose, major is now Business and Publicity Management with a minor in CS. I have played trumpet, drums, piano, and guitar in my time, only of guitar which i still play now. I am a first degree black belt in North American Goju (a very slight spinoff from Okinawan Goju-ryu). I have no time because I am a full time student at SUNY and I work part time, and SITACon took up all other free time I had for the past seven months of my life. I think that's pretty sufficient. Oh and i'm aspiring to become a member of the front row crew (i think i got a pretty good foot in the door, we'll see how that turns out). I've done a bunch more stuff in my time, such as I've been to Tokyo, Japan for spring break 2005, I was the winner of the 2004 scholastic/HP create-a-calculator contest. eh. I just do my own thing and stuff seems to work out every now and then.

So ya, I'm Corbin.
  • Heyyy Corbin, we've all been a'hearin' good things about you. Glad that you've made it to the forums!
  • edited October 2006
    Is this the same Aido who did the art for the GN flier? I love your art style and have been starting to read your webcomic!! I'm surprised someone hasn't picked you up to do your own comic yet like with a studio (i like your art better than alot of other webscomic artists).
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Hahaha, the same.

I don't think I'm following what you're saying— you're surprised that I haven't been picked up by a studio yet? As in, a professional one, or a loose-group-of-friends-type? I was actually extended an invite to DayFree Press a while back, but that didn't work out.
  • either or. independant or professional, basically going into the paper medium is what I meant.
  • Ah, I gotcha— I was published in an anthology earlier this year with a few pals of mine. I mean, the book itself wasn't really all that hot, but I was pretty pleased with my submission. You can read the first page there on the site. :D
  • i'm cheryl, im 19 and am going to school for art, im attending Pratt in Utica. i got in to anime in like the 5th grade, i wanted to draw sailor moon and thats how my intrest in art and anime started. i love video games, i was one of the guys, not many girls in my highschool played video games. my love for anime has grown even more with the more anime i watch, and then i go back to my old dream of being a cartoonist. right now i'm looking for a good school to transfer to for photography, because thats what i would like to do.....so yah im not sure what excatly i'm doing this would be my first forum.
  • I'm Ryan Carpenter... who is somehow 100% Geek and 100% socially acceptable almost anywhere. Who saw that coming?

I'm 17, graduated and... freshman at a community college >_< I was introduced to the Front Row Crew by my friend Hal, who recently joined the forums as well I think. For the record, I don't think Scott and Rym are gay.
  • Hi, my name's Stefan, I'm 19 and currently in my second year of a Bsc Computer Science degree @ Goldsmiths College, University of London. I love playing computer games, watching anime, reading manga, yoyoing (yes, playing with yoyos) and hanging with friends... Erm... As cliche as this sounds, I never know what to put in these things :/
  • I'm Ryan Carpenter... who is somehow 100% Geek and 100% socially acceptable almost anywhere. Who saw that coming?

I'm 17, graduated and... freshman at a community college >_< I was introduced to the Front Row Crew by my friend Hal, who recently joined the forums as well I think. For the record, I don't think Scott and Rym are gay.
    And I am Hal. 16. I think this is the last time I need to post here lol.
  • edited February 2008
    Joe. 15. General geek. Hoopy frood. Found GN on iTunes while searching for "geek". Met Scrym at Ubercon VIII. Monty Python freak. Love video games, but parents won't let me get a console. NYC. Hoping to go to RIT, and major in IT. Been playing piano for 11. I use Firefox on a Mac. Running Ubuntu on a box in my room. High school level homeschooler. Changed my username from "Masteroftheuniverse" to "Prof. Pangloss" (yes, I am a big fan of Candide by Voltaire) on February 10th, 2008.

I think that pretty much sums it up. ^_^
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Another homeschooler? Rock it teh onz! (Crap! I can't keep off this thing, can I?)
  • I'm Jonathan Chambers, 23 years old. I helped start Caffeinated Lifestyle. I'm into anything that involves drinking caffeine and staying up way to late. This mostly includes watching anime, reading manga, gaming, programming, etc..

I'm a graudate of Morrisville State College, located in Morrisville, NY which for those who don't know is in the void between Utica and Syracuse.

I currently live in Maryland, NY which is around Cooperstown, NY and Oneonta, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame and Soccer Hall of Fame as well as Hartwick College and SUNY Oneonta, I know big whoop at least that is my opinion, lol).

So I've spend a little time on myself and I'd like to spend a litte on Caffeinated Lifestyle. We are a community site focusing on everything related to caffeine and what people do when they are consuming it. Our primary focus is anime, manga and conventions related to both. We have offically done two conventions SITACon 2006 and Syracuse Heros Expo. Now what we do at the conventions is take photos of people doing cosplay or that just want a photo and we offer up some prints, for a small fee, and you can also become part of our growing community and be feature on our website. We currently have photos from both conventions up on our site: SITACon 2006 Photos and Syracuse Heros Expo 2006 Photos

We invite anyone interested to come and join.

Oh, and w00t to the Front Row Crew for having a kick ass PodCast!