This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablet PC questions

edited August 2008 in Technology
I'm considering getting a tablet PC for my next computer. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they worth it? What are the best brands? I'm kind of leaning towards HP right now, but I'd rather have an Intel processor for a laptop. I'm curious to hear (read) your thoughts.

Comments

• I got a Toshiba tablet PC about 3 years ago. I think it's worth it if you want a tablet and also need a laptop (I got it mostly to draw on, which it worked great for.) It's especially helpful if you are in school since you can write your notes on it. I think Toshiba still makes one of the better ones, and I understand HP's is also a good one.
  • What are you using it for? Art or Work? If you want to do are then you'll need a pressure sensitive one.
    I am also obligated by Apple inc. to offer you an alternative computer choice.

LOL. Just kidding.

There is a Mac tablet that is licensed by Apple from Axeotron? It's alot of money but might be worth it if your doing art stuff.
  • I'm not looking for art, just school and work and such.

As much as I want a Mac, the Axiotron Modbook is out of the question, because it's got no keyboard whatsoever. It looks really cool, but it's stupid-expensive and the lack of a keyboard is really a deal killer for me.

I'm really just in the thinking/planning stages here. If I decide a tablet isn't the best option, I'll probably go for an HP or MacBook Pro.
  • Okay. There are rumors of a tablet Mac coming soon, you'll know by the end of September or at least by September 9th.
  • There have been rumors of a tablet Mac for years, I doubt you'll see it anytime soon. I would recommend if you go with a Macbook you should look at the refurbished units. Same stuff, just cheaper.
  • The Dell Latitude XT looks pretty cool imho, especially because the dual-mode screen (capacitive multi-touch + a pen)... Another possibility would be a Fujitsu LifeBook, there's even some _really_ small ones (8 or 9 inch screen iirc).
    That said, a huge number of people seem to lover their HP tablets, so that's probably a good choice, too ^^
  • Yeah, the Dell looks awesome, but its like $3k.
  • Yeah, the Dell looks awesome, but its like $3k.
    More expensive than the Axiotron ModBook.
  • Lenovo X series.
  • edited September 2008
    Actually the XT is <2k ... in the standard configuration though...
    Anyway, the HP TC1000 is old, but has kind of a cult following if I got it right...
    Post edited by T045T on
  • The HP tablet, which I really like from what I see, only comes with an AMD chip. I've heard that Intel is a lot better for laptops, but I don't actually have a source on this. Does anyone know if this is true? Is it really a deal killer, or is it just a minor difference?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
  • I would seriously think about getting a tablet computer. It may be cool to use for about 2 weeks..

I'd suggest you just write your notes down on paper and scan the pages in or use one of those weird pens I've heard about which record what you write digitally.
  • I'm looking for a good art Tablet PC, any suggestions?
  • Lenovo X series.
  • I would seriously think about getting a tablet computer. It may be cool to use for about 2 weeks..
    I bought a used Lenovo X41t on ebay a few months back, and I can say that the usefulness of it does not wear off (especially in my case, where I now use it for every class I'm taking, and especially in physics/math). Scanning notes or using a digital pen may seem like it works, but in the long run being able to write directly on a screen is far more convenient.

That being said I'm really happy with my purchase. If you're looking for an art tablet, just make sure that it has an active digitizer (non-touchscreen), as a passive (touchscreen) digitizer is full of fail when dealing with drawing/writing effectively.
  • edited March 2009
    Lenovo X series.
    Yup. EDIT: Long live the nipple.
    Post edited by Ishmael Dummy on
  • Can anyone recommend a tablet PC with pressure sensitivity/wacom style stylus?

I've been taking the office tablet on the train to work on comics, and whoo, boy is it great. The only problem is that I can't set the brush to taper off, and my lines are always the same thickness.
  • edited March 2009
    Can anyone recommend a tablet PC with pressure sensitivity/wacom style stylus?
    I've been taking the office tablet on the train to work on comics, and whoo, boy is it great. The only problem is that I can't set the brush to taper off, and my lines are always the same thickness.
    It's INSANELY expensive, and I don't know if you actually want a PC as opposed to a Mac, but this is a Macbook modded with a Cintiq screen. I've heard good things about it.

Is working in a sketchbook and just scanning it not an option?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited March 2009
    I don't think a tablet would be in any way affordable if you want one capable of running Photoshop.
    @FunFetus: Sketchbooks are kinda limited in terms of creating the finished product.

Idea: Make one of those pens that works on a capacitive touch screen but add a pressure sensor and bluetooth/misc sensor to allow for pressure.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2009
    It's INSANELY expensive, and I don't know if you actually want a PC as opposed to a Mac, butthisis a Macbook modded with a Cintiq screen. I've heard good things about it.
    I've seen that one and the only reason I discounted it was the terribly high price. I'd actually prefer a mac, but oh well.
    Is working in a sketchbook and just scanning it not an option?
    It's not for rough drawing, it's for digital painting and making comics. I have a long commute and the ability to use photoshop on the train would be very useful. Like I said, using the one from work is a boon.
    I don't think a tablet would be in any way affordable if you want one capable of running Photoshop.
    Well, the 4 year old mid-range tablet from work seems to run it better than my old imac at home, so I think the RAM and processor are not the issue. Now if it were running MAYA, that's another story...
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's not for rough drawing, it's for digital painting and making comics. I have a long commute and the ability to use photoshop on the train would be very useful. Like I said, using the one from work is a boon.
    Yeah, I understand. Definitely no digital painting in a sketchbook. You can do roughs and pencils for comics in a sketchbook, but I guess you can do that just as well on a tablet PC without pressure sensitivity. I don't know if this is a problem that gets solved any time soon without a huge amount of money. :(
  • edited March 2009
    Is this any use ? (scroll down for video) The netbook featured runs at about £500 and these people got OSX86 running on it with the touch screen and everything. I know it's finger touch but it shouldn't be that hard to find a similar one with a stylus.
  • The issue is the lack of pressure sensitivity, which most tablet PCs don't have. And probably more specifically, the lack of Wacom technology. While I've never used a non-Wacom tablet myself, most people who have say not to bother.
  • The modbook starts at $2248.

I just did some investigate. The Cintiq 12WX retails for $1000. That means you can almost definitely get one for less than that.

I also just spec'd out a Dell Inspiron 13 with 2 gigs of RAM, a Core 2 Duo, a camera, a gigantic battery, etc., and it came to $664. There are obviously lots of other great choices for cheap laptops that aren't netbooks. This is just the first one I found at dell.com that was relatively small in size.

It might be a little cumbersome, but here's what you can do. You get the Dell and the Cintiq. Then when you are on the train, you leave the Dell closed in your bag, but on. Then there are two wires, USB and video, coming out of your bag to the Cintiq.

That's really I think that might be the best way to go right now. It's annoying to carry two things, and it sucks to deal with the wires, but it will work, and it has a relatively reasonable cost for what you get. It also has other benefits over something like the modbook. The biggest benefit is that you can keep the cintiq forever. The computer will probably become obsolete long before the tablet part. With a modbook what would you do when the laptop part became old and busted, but the tablet part was still just fine?

Also, I know Emily wants to play some PC games, and a little Windowsy laptop can do that too.
  • edited March 2009
    @Scott: If she's going to do that, carrying the laptop and a standard tablet would be much easier. I've not had any experience with drawing direct to screen but I think the added convenience would probably be worth it.
    Wait, do trains where you are have tables or are they just chairs? If they're just chairs, you could rig something up to let you put the tablet over the keyboard.

So, your options are [all far from ideal]:
    Modbook: Too expensive, other than that, has everything you want.
    Convertible netbook: You loose some or all of your sensitivity. Some can run OSX.
    Tablet or convertible PC: Expensive (less than modbook), probably windows only (you could try installing OSX86), can definitely get full sensitivity.
    Laptop + some form of separate tablet: Inconvenient, also expensive (less than single unit), full sensitivity.
  • Tablet or convertible PC: Expensive (less than modbook), probably windows only (you could try installing OSX86), can definitely get full sensitivity.
    Name a tablet or convertible that has a wacom-quality tablet functionality. I haven't found one.
  • Tablet or convertible PC: Expensive (less than modbook), probably windows only (you could try installing OSX86), can definitely get full sensitivity.
    Name a tablet or convertible that has a wacom-quality tablet functionality. I haven't found one.
    Try one of these manufacturers.
  • Try one of these manufacturers.
    Show me a specific model. Just because someone is a partner with wacom, doesn't mean they actually have a product. And even if they have a product, it isn't necessarily a tablet.

Take for example the Lenovo ThinkPad W700ds. It's a gigantic monstrosity of a laptop with two screens in it. It also has Wacom technology in it. However, that Wacom technology is in the form of a small Wacom tablet down next to the touchpad. It's not actually a tablet, like the Cintiq.

If you find a specific model that actually has a screen that is also a tablet like the Cintiq, show us. Otherwise, it doesn't exist.
  • edited March 2009
    Buy a laptop, buy a Cintiq, turn on the computer put it in the bag, you can do pretty much everything with the stylus alone, it would be just 3 cables coming out of the bag, 1 for the headphones, 2 for the Cintiq, it all sounds nice and well... until you realize, you need to plug in the power to the Cintiq.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on