This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free Gurren Lagaan! [Yes it's legal!], & an iTunes flame war.

edited August 2008 in Anime
As of this post, the first two episodes of Gurren Lagaan is free on iTunes. The quality is actually pretty good. Get 'em while it's hot!
Episode 1 & 2

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Awesome! Thoughts coming up as soon as I download and watch the 2 episodes.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • I have watch episode 9 and I think I know what is the final twist. Still, it is a manly series :D
  • I hate to sound like one of those fans but the english voice actor for Kamina, does not do the japanese version justice by a long shot.
  • I hate to sound like one of those fans but the english voice actor for Kamina, does not do the japanese version justice by a long shot.
    True.
  • I have watch episode 9 and I think I know what is the final twist. Still, it is a manly series :D
    There are 26 episodes. Episode 9 is still pre-timeskip if I recall correctly, how do you wish to know the final twist before being near the end?

@ Morio-kun, is it that hard to copy? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, once 'a', twice 'n'.

Anyways, I'm gonna try and see if I can download the episodes.
    There are 26 episodes. Episode 9 is still pre-timeskip if I recall correctly, how do you wish to know the final twist before being near the end?

@ Morio-kun, is it that hard to copy? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, once 'a', twice 'n'.

Anyways, I'm gonna try and see if I can download the episodes.
    Was up with the old guy :P
    But I might me wrong :P
  • I hate to sound like one of those fans but the English voice actor for Kamina, does not do the Japanese version justice by a long shot.
    I am one of those fans and that's the first thing I thought!
  • Do I need an Apple ID to do this? I don't want to give them my address and credit card number.
  • Yes, I would assume so. You can go get one of those prepaid cards for $15. Then just look for DRM-free content, if you don't have an iPod.
    edited August 2008
    Do I need an Apple ID to do this? I don't want to give them my address and credit card number.
    You do. Which prevents me from actually downloading the episodes. Oh why did I not save that rant I put in the Steam Chat, WHY!? *tries to get someone to copy it*VICTOLY!
    How I hate iTunes, let me count the ways.
    1. The US Apple store gets all the awesome stuff.
    2. You MUST have a credit card to sign up to the Apple Store, even if you are only ever going to sample or download FREE things.
    3. It's a horrible media player.
    4. It's a bloody annoying memory hog.
    5. It has the visual appeal of a wart.
    6. It is as stupid as hell and forces my computer to start 7 more bloody processes before it has finished booting, FOR ONE PROGRAM FFS!
    7. It comes with the horrible broken and painfully annoying Quicktime.
    8. I. HATE. IT.
    EDIT: I just realized, I didn't even mention the pathetically long loading times to go somewhere else in the iTunes store.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Steam Chat, WHY!? *tries to get someone to copy it*VICTOLY!
    1. The US Apple store gets all the awesome stuff. That's you, and your countries media companies problem
    2. You MUST have a credit card to sign up to the Apple Store, even if you are only ever going to sample or download FREE things. Once again, you are making statments before knowing the facts. I buy all my iTunes content exclusively with prepaid cards, No credit cards. Then you can get all the goodies.
    3. It's a horrible media player.Better than Winamp, Windows Player, and Real. What shitty POS open-shit crap player are you using?
    4. It's a bloody annoying memory hog. That's your Problem.
    5. It has the visual appeal of a wart. Looks a hell of a lot better than the other crappy G.U.I.s
    6. It is as stupid as hell and forces my computer to start 7 more bloody processes before it has finished booting, FOR ONE PROGRAM FFS!Your Libray is too big or it's POS PC problem.
    7. It comes with the horrible broken and painfully annoying Quicktime. Finally, something we at least agree on
    8. I. HATE. IT. Not a real reason
    EDIT: I just realized, I didn't even mention the pathetically long loading times to go somewhere else in the iTunes store. Your problem, not Apple's and if you hit the server at a heavy time it will be slow.
    From the sound of it, you haven't used iTunes in a long time.
  • I've used iTunes until just recently. It was the only reason I still stuck to dual booting. But iTunes seriously is an awful media player. It's also incredibly resource intensive.

You use a mac, right? Itunes works a lot better on macs than on windows machines. Plus, seriously, must of the points you "corrected" are invalid.
  • You actually can sign up for an Apple Store account without imputing some form of payment, I needed to get an account to get the digital copies of movies off of some of my DVD's and I didn't put in a credit card. I just don't remember how I did it.
  • edited August 2008
    Steam Chat, WHY!? *tries to get someone to copy it*VICTOLY!
    1.The US Apple store gets all the awesome stuff.That's you, and your countries media companies problem
    2.You MUST have a credit card to sign up to the Apple Store, even if you are only ever going to sample or download FREE things.Once again, you are making statments before knowing the facts. I buy all my iTunes content exclusively with prepaid cards, No credit cards. Then you can get all the goodies.
    3. It's a horrible media player.Better than Winamp, Windows Player, and Real. What shitty POS open-shit crap player are you using?
    4.It's a bloody annoying memory hog.That's your Problem.
    5.It has the visual appeal of a wart.Looks a hell of a lot better than the other crappy G.U.I.s
    6.It is as stupid as hell and forces my computer to start 7 more bloody processes before it has finished booting, FOR ONE PROGRAM FFS!Your Libray is too big or it's POS PC problem.
    7. It comes with the horrible broken and painfully annoying Quicktime.Finally, something we at least agree on
    8.I. HATE. IT.Not a real reason
    EDIT: I just realized, I didn't even mention the pathetically long loading times to go somewhere else in the iTunes store.Your problem, not Apple's and if you hit the server at a heavy time it will be slow.
    From the sound of it, you haven't used iTunes in a long time.
    Responses to Morio Kun:
    1. Agreed
    2. That's true and all, MK, but the fact that you have to have anything at all to download free content is pretty damn dumb, IMO.
    3. Better than Winamp? LOL. Windows Media Player is indeed shit. Real player is quite possibly the worst player ever...Personally, I'm using Foobar. It's closed source, actually, but it kicks the shit out of iTunes.
    4. no, it's actually not. It's the iTunes devs' problems.
    5. personal opinions...though is loses points in the fact that you can't skin it.
    6. I think 7 might be an exaggeration, but it does have a bunch of processes that aren't his or his PC's fault. It's again the devs' problem.
    7. Agreed, plus it bugs you to get Safari for windows, too.
    8. -
    Post edited by Dkong on
    edited August 2008
    Steam Chat, WHY!? *tries to get someone to copy it*
    This was stricken through, and the end of a longer sentence. Tip: Learn to quote properly, that includes quoting or not quoting relevant text, and quoting complete sentences.
    VICTOLY!How I hate iTunes, let me count the ways.
    1. The US Apple store gets all the awesome stuff. That's your, and your countries media companies, problem.
    "That's you problem." Ah.
    2. You MUST have a credit card to sign up to the Apple Store, even if you are only ever going to sample or download FREE things. Once again, you are making statements before knowing the facts. I buy all my iTunes content exclusively with prepaid cards, Nno credit cards. Then you can get all the goodies.
    3. It's a horrible media player. Better than Winamp, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer. What shitty POS open-shit crap player are you using?
    You missed the 'I' of "It's" while striking through my point, added it to the stricken through text. You also missed some parts of the program names, thus causing potential confusion. So I thought I'd fix that for you also.
    4. It's a bloody annoying memory hog. That's your Pproblem.
    5. It has the visual appeal of a wart. Looks a hell of a lot better than the other crappy G.U.I.sGUIs.
    Peculiar, you do not add periods to any other acronym you use through your entire post, yet you do when you talk about GUIs. I replaced it for consistency reasons. Also, which 'other' GUIs are you talking about? The GUI of XP or Vista? The Firefox GUI? OS X its other GUIs?
    6. It is as stupid as hell and forces my computer to start 7 more bloody processes before it has finished booting, FOR ONE PROGRAM FFS! Your Llibrary is too big, or it's another POS PC problem.
    I used the word 'another' instead of just 'a' to better convey your general stance towards non-Apple products, I hope you are okay with this.
    7. It comes with the horrible broken and painfully annoying Quicktime. Finally, something we at least agree on
    8. I. HATE. IT. Not a real reason
    EDIT: I just realized, I didn't even mention the pathetically long loading times to go somewhere else in the iTunes store.Your problem, not Apple's and if you hit the server at a heavy time it will be slow.
    From the sound of it, you haven't used iTunes in a long time.LOL! Either way, let me respond to this garbled mess of text, <s> tags, colour and Apple-fanboiness, just for the hell of it, seeing as you are indeed incapable of reading stuff properly as you claimed.
    1. I know it is my problem, it is still a valid reason for me to hate the program though.
    2. I was talking about SIGNING UP. It FORCES you to fill in payment information, at least for me, and I tried all options. Also, 'once again'? You haven't mentioned of a prior time of such an occurrence in that post, 'once again' thus isn't pointing at anything.
    3. You are seriously even mentioning RealPlayer in an argument about media players? Are you serious?! Why do you think iTunes NEEDS Quicktime to be installed along with it? You agreed with me Quicktime is crap and horrible. How can you not say the same about a program that is almost nothing more than an overlay of Quicktime with a crappy and slow browser tacked on to it to milk customers?
    4. No, it's the developers being idiots.
    5. Dkong already mentioned why I hate it. No option to change the skin is the first flaw, the second flaw is the flat and monotonous standard skin.
    6. First off, this is with a FRESH install, nothing imported yet whatsoever. Secondly, I was talking about the shit that starts because of iTunes AT BOOT. Bonjour, mDNS-something, iTuneshelper, Apple device something, to name a few from the top of my head. It even poses a security risk, I do NOT use Bonjour, why do I then need it? Why does it need to start at boot? WHY DOES IT HAVE TO FUCKING ATTACH ITSELF TO ALMOST EVERY BLOODY PROGRAM THAT I RUN?! I could not uninstall it because I was running other programs, to which it had hooked itself. Without my knowledge, without even giving me an option, without even TELLING me about the fact that Bonjour existed. I don't even get a way to interact with Bonjour other than Ctrl+Alt+Delete, which thankfully brings up Process Explorer, allowing me to quickly locate the Apple crap and kill it.
    7. I had not even gotten to the point of discovering that it would annoy me with "GET SAFARI" crap on Windows. iTunes sucks that badly, it is removed before it can even annoy the owner with not yet used 'features'!
    8. So? It was the indication of the end of the rant, finishing off with the final conclusion. Sure, I numbered it, but that does not matter, I still hate it.
    9. Actually, it gets worse when there's even the slightest hint of heavy time. I am talking about the average loading times, when the servers are not in heavy use, it takes too long to be reasonable. I have a 20Mbit download connection at the moment, browsing in Firefox, even IE, is responsive, quick, enjoyable (in the case of FF), iTunes' build-in browser crap takes over a whole second to load, and then it has to start displaying stuff. Such things are very annoying, and yes it is a problem for Apple, it's called 'missed sales'. If it takes to long to load a page, customers will grow bored and annoyed and not purchase anything at all. So that is, if you ask me (even though I doubt you would even dare to ask me anything without having your plethora of insults ready to throw at me), a valid reason to hate iTunes.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2008
    If you want to sign up for an iTunes account without a credit card all you need to do is either buy a iTunes store gift card or get in on one those free redeem offers. I signed up using Tunecore's free offer deal, didn't need a credit card just the redeem code to sign up.

TuneCore

It's only good until the end of September.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • If you want to sign up for an iTunes account without a credit card all you need to do is either buy a iTunes store gift card or get in on one those free redeem offers. I signed up using Tunecore's free offer deal, didn't need a credit card just the redeem code to sign up.

TuneCore

I need an account to redeem it.
  • I've used iTunes until just recently. It was the only reason I still stuck to dual booting. But iTunes seriously is an awful media player. It's also incredibly resource intensive.

You use a mac, right? Itunes works a lot better on macs than on windows machines. Plus, seriously, must of the points you "corrected" are invalid.
    All my music content is on my larger PC, since it has a larger Hard Drive. But I can easily stream content from the PC to my MacBook Pro.
  • iTunes is not perfect and I don't believe that everything that touches Apple is like holy water.
    I was talking about SIGNING UP. It FORCES you to fill in payment information, at least for me, and I tried all options. Also, 'once again'? You haven't mentioned of a prior time of such an occurrence in that post, 'once again' thus isn't pointing at anything.
    You actually can sign up for an Apple Store account without imputing some form of payment, I needed to get an account to get the digital copies of movies off of some of my DVD's and I didn't put in a credit card. I just don't remember how I did it.
    Oh, wow, "myself" can't read for shit! Look back at my response at number 3. I said that you don't need a credit card.

3. I'm not saying that Real is better, I was only putting it up as an example of other players.
    6. Write some script or look for a work around, There are ways to solve this.
    7. Safari for Windows does suck. I only use it as a quick light weight browser during the last 6 months before Firefox 3.
    9. The iTunes built in browser is not the same as a web site. the reason why it's slow is that it has to search Apple's internal database and if you are loading up the home page for the first time, that day, it's slow because of there is new content that needs to sent to the end user. It could also be the fault of firewalls as well as possibly not updating iTunes.

Why do you waste time correcting people's spelling? Spelling and grammar is purely based on people's opinions. One might say that you need a comma there while someone else might say you don't. That's why I named you the 'Forum Dick.' (I consider it to be a proper name.)
  • Spelling and grammar is purely based on people's opinions. One might say that you need a comma there while someone else might say you don't. That's why I named you the 'Forum Dick.' (I consider it to be a proper name.)
    Spelling and grammar are not a matter of opinion. There is a very clear right and wrong. If you get it wrong, you will pay the price.
  • Why do you waste time correcting people's spelling? Spelling and grammar is purely based on people's opinions.
    Grammar, spelling, and style are requisite for participating here. Improper grammar or spelling will eventually get you banned, and bad style will get you endless ridicule.
  • edited September 2008
    If you want to sign up for an iTunes account without a credit card all you need to do is either buy a iTunes store gift card or get in on one those free redeem offers. I signed up using Tunecore's free offer deal, didn't need a credit card just the redeem code to sign up.

TuneCore

I need an account to redeem it.

I registered a few nights it ago, the one thing I forgot to do the first time was to check the none option for the credit card.

Here is a link to a guide, it explains it better than I can.

Register without a credit card for Itunes Store
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I'd just like to interject that if you can't get Amarok on your OS yet, Max gave the songbird beta the thumbs up.
  • Spelling and grammar are not a matter of opinion. There is a very clear right and wrong. If you get it wrong, you will pay the price.are most likely an idiot.
    FTFY
  • I'd just like to interject that if you can't get Amarok on your OS yet,Max gave the songbird beta the thumbs up.
    I looked at song bird and Imagine that, it looks a lot like iTunes. ROFL. Just like in Linux, At least those developers where smart enough to "take" design ques from OS X.
  • If you aren't fond of iTunes' present day suckishness I'd give songbird a try, especially if you like Firefox as they're based on the same core. Amarok is really the standard for me, preforms great. If you're using linux it fit's right in and will also be coming to Windows and Mac soon enough. I'm sure Morio will be able to tell us how "lamez0rs" it is, not being made by Apple.
  • No, It's because Apple made it, it's because it's a lot better. The main reason why is that I use iTunes to sync with my iPod.
  • edited September 2008
    So why don't you use songbird instead? Performs better and syncs fine. Ok, I'll give up with the baiting. There's always the problem that in order to make someone switch, a product has to not just be better, but be enough better to be worth switching to. I'd give Songbird a miss until it comes out of beta and people get to making all the extensions it needs or wait for Amarok 3, which will be more than worth it (even Amarok 2 is worth it if you run proper OSs [gah, can't stop!]).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • As of this post, the first two episodes of Gurren Lagaan is free on iTunes. The quality is actually pretty good. Get 'em while it's hot!
    Episode 1 & 2
    Free?!?!?!? Anime!?!?!?!? Ipod!?!?!?!?! Morio-Kun you have given the most useful information ever!!!!!!!! And a series I am watching none the less! Hot shit I owe you a beer or something. lol