This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Opera + Wii

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
Opera will now be free for all regions on the Wii until June 2007.

Comments

• Excellent! I don't know that I would have paid for it otherwise, my PC is in the same room my Wii will be in. So Nintendo and Opera are screwing everybody who doesn't buy the system early?
  • edited September 2006
    It is actually a great marketing move to get tons of sales the first few months. I think it is very smart.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It is very smart but some places overseas it is hard to get the new stuff.
  • Anyone know if the Wii will have wireless networking capability?
  • Anyone know if the Wii will have wireless networking capability?
    Yes, they've said so since the beginning.
  • So, will the Wii have a keyboard?
  • So, will the Wii have a keyboard?
    I haven't seen one.
  • Not to godwin here, but does anyone have some input on Safari vs. Firefox? It seems that on Mac OS X that Safari is more stable. Is there a reason why I should switch?
  • What is the use of a web browser if there is no keyboard? Am I missing something here?
  • What is the use of a web browser if there is no keyboard? Am I missing something here?
    Because there will be some other interface. The DS doesn't have a keyboard, but it has Opera also. The Wii probably won't be useful as a full-time web browser. Are you seriously going to try to write forum posts on your low-resolution tv in your living room while sitting a mile away on the couch? No. But you will type in a few URLs and bookmark them for easy access later. Things like YouTube, Flickr and flash games will be perfect. EVen though it will take you awhile to get to those sites, you will easily navigate within them and return to them later.
    I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I'm sure that someone will make one, even if it isn't Nintendo.
  • edited September 2006
    This is kind of funny because in a few weeks by MIL is giving me her "old" HDTV to make way for her new one... I could actually use an HD game console now!

This is a slightly related question:

On the Game Cube, can you buy a component cable to get the progressive output or must you have one of the Game Cubes that came with the secondary jack just for component out? We got ours as a package deal and it only has one plug hole in the back. A friend of mine has one with two plug holes in the back...

Know what I'm asking?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • This is kind of funny because in a few weeks by MIL is giving me her "old" HDTV to make way for her new one... I could actually use an HD game console now!

On the Game Cube, can you buy a component cable to get the progressive output or must you have one of the Game Cubes that came with the secondary jack just for component out? We got ours as a package deal and it only has one plug hole in the back. A friend of mine has one with two plug holes in the back...

Know what I'm asking?
    I know exactly what you're asking. In the back of the GameCube there are three holes. One is the power hole. One is for audio/video and one is for digital video. If you want progressive scan you need the now-discontinued GameCube component cable that plugs into the digital video hole. New GameCubes can't use this cable because they don't have the digital output connector No digital connector means no component cable and no progressive scan. Even if you use the component cable for video, you still need the old cable to get audio.

Here is all the info.

The progressive scan really isn't that big a deal. It does double the vertical resolution of a bunch of games, and it does look better. But in the long run, you won't notice it.
  • edited September 2006

I believe you need the digital A/V hookup in order to get component video. This is a bit counter-intuitive since component is analog video... In any case, The analog hookup is only capable of doing NTSC output to composite and s-video (or in the case of the PAL model, it can also output RGB). The digital has some special digital audio/video output, and the Nintendo component cable actually contains a DAC to convert the proprietary digital video output into component output at 480p. The digital audio output is not S/PDIF either, it is another proprietary format and I don't know if they sell cables for it.

EDIT: Yay for posting things in parallel ;p
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • I was real ticked off when I found out my "special" Game Cube did not have the component/progressive option...
  • In Tuesday's show, Scrym mentioned having problems with Firefox on the Mac Mini. They make Opera for OS X too. You can scale the entire page up to make it readable.
  • In Tuesday's show, Scrym mentioned having problems with Firefox on the Mac Mini.They make Opera for OS X too. You can scale the entire page up to make it readable.
    We don't really have problems with Firefox, and we realize that Opera is available. What it comes down to is that browsers designed to be used on PCs with monitors, including Opera, aren't ideal for use on a TV. The fact that I have to push a button to get the correct scale is a problem right off the bat. There are also other issues besides the scaling such as handling of full-screen and such. Hence, I look forward to Opera Wii.
  • http://www.wii.com/en_US/movies/internetchannel/