This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Chrome

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Google making a web browser? It's about time.

I'll try it to see if it's good.

Comments

• Read the introduction to Google Chrome here. It's very interesting.
  • I'm happy with my firefox browser. It might be worth a test drive since a lot of the online services I use are Google related.
  • Don't care.
    Don't think I ever will.
  • I always like seeing and testing out new browsers, so I'll most likely check this out, too.

Things that I want out of it:
    - extensions, or at least be able to implement Firefox extensions (or as a last resort it needs an adblocker and mouse gestures)
    - not bloated (and from the sound of it, it won't be)
    - not loaded with google bullshit. It could be nice if it somehow implemented gmail, youtube, google docs, etc in interesting ways, but on the other hand that could make it lame, too
    - needs to be fast

Yeah, actually it would have to do a LOT to take over Firefox.
  • - not bloated (and from the sound of it, it won't be)
    If Google's good at anything, it's not making their stuff bloated.

Except Google Desktop. Fuck Google Desktop.
  • - not bloated (and from the sound of it, it won't be)
    If Google's good at anything, it's not making their stuff bloated.

Except Google Desktop. Fuck Google Desktop.
    I never saw a real use for Google Desktop.

Anyway, I'll try the browser but I'm happy with Firefox.
  • Don't care.
    Don't think I ever will.
    Read Jason's book. You'll care. They've won me over and I've yet to touch their software.
  • I'm only halfway through that comic and while it seems promising, it seems like they're trying to make a true "Google OS" or "Browser OS". I mean, really, I guess the whole "each tab being independent" thing is kinda cool, but it seems almost to the point of ridiculousness. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see. At the very least, I'm quite intrigued.
  • Dkong, you're describing Firefox...
  • I have no allegiance to Firefox, it just has a few features that other browsers don't. If Chrome has those features too, great, but I'm not sure if Google will put in an ad-blocking function that blocks Google ads. However, I use a few Google services and if those things work better in Chrome I could see myself switching. For example, if Chrome and Google Calendar talk to each other, so that on certain dates a website will open as my home page, I'd certainly start using it. And I don't even use Google Calendar at the moment.
  • edited September 2008
    I am pumped. I have a sick fascination with browsers and often fluctuation wildly between Opera and Firefox on Windows and Safari on OSX. All of them have features I like (e.g. the find in Safari) but not one of them is blowing me away. I am more than happy to give this browser a shot and I will more than likely try many more in my internet career. Fingers crossed it is awesome and has an as you type spell checker which I can't live without (c'mon opera!).

Edit: I have to say I am loving the comic by Scott McCloud. I have just started reading his work in Zot! and am loving his work. There is something about the way he does his panel layouts, art and story telling that is really gelling with me.
    Post edited by sime on
  • The link at the bottom of the document is broken. Why?
  • Yeah I thought that was odd. I assume it is because something will be there when it is launched but it seems like a page with some information would have been a better idea to link to.
  • Google Chrome logo
    Morph ball Samus
    Coincidence? I think not. Clearly a Google Labs accident has seeded the Intertubes with larval metroids, which must now be dealt with.
  • Google Chrome logo
    Morph ball Samus
    Coincidence? I think not. Clearly a Google Labs accident has seeded the Intertubes with larval metroids, which must now be dealt with.
    I like that you used the word "accident."
  • Here's my problem with Chrome, which will probably keep me from it for a good while.
    I've put a good amount of effort (in terms of GreaseMonkey scripts/extensions, options, etc) into making Firefox a comfortable experience. I'm used to it. Google Chrome doesn't have ANYTHING I'm accustomed too. No gReader and gMail notifier. No AdBlock. No GreaseMonkey. No extensions at all, to speak of.
    It's a nice theory, but it's not worth bothering with yet, I think.
  • I'm currently running Chrome, feels fast, looks good, but yes, it lacks plugins at the moment. But I like it. A most suitable browser for web applications like Gmail, etc.
  • I'm currently running Chrome, feels fast, looks good, but yes, it lacks plugins at the moment. But I like it. A most suitable browser for web applications like Gmail, etc.
    I wonder if an Ad-Block plugin will be released...
  • Running it right now. No Ad-Block sucks, but the sucker's pretty damn fast.
  • No Linux version and it fails to work in WINE, too bad..
  • No Linux version and it fails to work in WINE, too bad..
    Since it's open source, it'll be on Linux soon enough.
  • I was away, until just now. The only news I saw of this was a NYT article. It was talking about how in IE8, they're going to have the so-called privacy function. I thought that was mostly going to be a feature to prevent people from finding out when you browse the pr0n, but apparently it also makes it very difficult, or impossible, for online advertisers to track you. They implied that this is part of the reason Google is making their own browser.

I will continue to use Firefox for the foreseeable future, as I'm sure Chrome won't have important things like Firebug.
  • edited September 2008
    So far chrome seems a little lacking. It's difficult to manage bookmarks. I have profiles set up for me, my dad, and my sister. I'm 99% sure that my profile is just the Firefox default profile. But what bookmarks got imported to Chrome? My sister's <_<. How can I import an html or .json file to replace those bookmarks? So far, I haven't found out...even after looking through the options menu (which is paltry).
    It also took a lot longer to load a simple site such as frontrowcrew.com than Firefox does.

Overall, good concept, but not enough features and certainly not enough depth for me to use it until it gets updated or something...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I like Chrome, it feels more responsive but load times for web pages are almost the same. It lacks plugins (ABP <3) and cannot run instantaction, so Firefox wins for now. Although, I feel like if Chrome had ABP and were able to run instantaction I'd use it quite a bit more.
  • So far chrome seems a little lacking. It's difficult to manage bookmarks. I have profiles set up for me, my dad, and my sister. I'm 99% sure that my profile is just the Firefox default profile. But what bookmarks got imported to Chrome? My sister's <_<. How can I import an html or .json file to replace those bookmarks? So far, I haven't found out...even after looking through the options menu (which is paltry).
    It also took a lot longer to load a simple site such as frontrowcrew.com than Firefox does.</p>
    Your problem is that you are using Firefox profiles to separate users. That's not what they're for. You should make separate user accounts in your OS for you, your father, and your sister, Then you wouldn't have this problem.
  • That's not what they're for.
    What are they for, then? I've never really been able to figure that out.
  • That's not what they're for.
    What are they for, then? I've never really been able to figure that out.
    They're so one person can switch between Firefoxes that are configured differently. Let's say you've got a laptop you use for work, but also home. You can have a work profile with your work bookmarks, and a home profile with home bookmarks. The different profiles can have different extensions also. That way all your weird extensions won't get in the way when you're working. Also, you're web developer extensions won't get in the way when you are just casually browsing.

There's a reason that the profile dialog box no longer appears by default. It's a feature for only advanced users.
  • I think they're mostly used for people testing new builds and add-ons.
  • Holy crap this is FAST!

There are a few issues, of course, most notably the lack of plugins, specifically AdBlock, but some issues are as minor as "I can't see the full title of the page I'm on if the tab is too small without using a tooltip."

I'm certainly impressed, but it's not perfect enough to make me switch from Firefox. When I'm using web apps, I will definitely turn to Google Chrome, however.

Has anyone found a "suggestions box" for Chrome?
  • Alright, so I'm on ninjavideo.net and using the DivX Web Player when I get the vista error message telling me Chrome is no longer responding. I smile and click on "Close program" but the window stays open, instead of my desktop I'm look at the same Chrome window with a message telling me the Dix player has crashed and a sad face where the player should have been on the page.

The fact I didn't have to close the entire program is very cool.