This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime I should see?

edited September 2008 in Anime
Since I live in Australia, I fail.
As such, I am unable to go to such things as the GeekNights "Anime You Should See" panel, in order to be told how much of an idiot I am.

In any case, I am still relatively new to anime, and while I have done fairly well watching stuff as I heard about it, and independently trying to find the real classics, I do realise that there are likely a number of old classics I have yet to experience, while others are focusing on newer stuff. However, I have seen the "holy four" - Bebop, Trigun, Escaflowne, Evangelion; I've also seen Utena, from others you discuss all too often. I've seen more, but listing would be bothersome and I would forget many.

I'm sure I'll just get told that I failed to look somewhere important / search properly / etc (but I don't care, I'm going to sleep now, it's 4am :D), but what should I be looking to see next?

Comments

• Here's a handy anime recommendation site to get you started. Type in an anime you liked and you'll get some suggestions of others you might like.
  • edited September 2008
    Thanks Sail, I just found Bokura ga Ita after looking up Lovely Complex.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Since I live in Australia, I fail.
    Have you ever had any choice in the location where you were born? Or where you would be living? If no, you do not fail, you are merely a victim of your country's failing. As for giving helpful ideas on what you should see, depends entirely on your tastes and opinions of shows you have already seen. In other words, Sail already ended this thread.
  • Since I live in Australia, I fail.
    Have you ever had any choice in the location where you were born? Or where you would be living? If no, you do not fail, you are merely a victim of your country's failing.
    I think he was just being a bit sarcastic. Is it just me, or have you been party-pooping on a lot of people's off-hand jokes as of late?

Learn to laugh a little, man!
  • I think he was just being a bit sarcastic. Is it just me, or have you been party-pooping on a lot of people's off-hand jokes as of late?
    It's you, or people should be clearer in their off-hand jokes, me included.
    Learn to laugh a little, man!
    If you could see me in real life through an entire day, you'd see I laugh quite a lot. And that emoticon reminds me of those horrible flash ads with them talking emoticons. God were those horrible.
  • You know, I think myself was the person who said something along the lines of "The sun is shining, I have fresh bread, and I'm alive, therefore I am happy." (I don't remember the exact quote) Sometimes he posts optimistic things like that, so I think he's the type to laugh.
  • Here's a handy anime recommendation site to get you started.Type in an anime you liked and you'll get some suggestions of others you might like.
    Am I doing it wrong? I hit your link, then typed in "cowboy bebop" and the only hits it gave me where "Cowboy Bebop" and "Cowboy Bebop the movie". Those don't seem like suggestions to me...

Anyways, after you've seen all that...probably no anime will compare to it. I'd just say to watch what you think looks cool at this point.
  • edited September 2008
    It's only recently that I've been noticing a lot of more missing-the-joke posts from you, which has been confusing me since you didn't seem the type of person to rain on jokes before. Then again, maybe you're right and that is just me and my perception. :/
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited September 2008
    Those don't seem like suggestions to me...
    Click on "Cowboy Bebop", and it'll give you suggestions at the bottom of the article.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited September 2008
    It's only recently that I've been noticing a lot of more missing-the-joke posts from you, which has been confusing me since you didn't seem the type of person to rain on jokes before. Then again, maybe you're right and that is just me and my perception. :/
    Honestly, I think it's a growing tendency of this entire forum.
    Everyone is taking themselves too goddamn seriously and whining a lot (and Jen is a significant factor in this).

Yes, I was being sarcastic with my comment. If I could be bothered I'd argue that I was satirizing an attitude of U.S. supremacy that is not uncommon on these forums.

Anyways, I guess I'll try the anime recommendation site, thanks for that Sail.
    I was kinda hoping / assuming that my taste in anime tended towards the stuff that is "good", and looking for general recommendations of some more of the truly classic anime, but I guess I'll find those eventually either way.

In any case, here's some anime the recommendation site seems to suggest to me (with large numbers of votes):-
    -Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    -FLCL
    -Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    (It's quite strange, I don't think this particularly reflects what I know of my tastes (e.g. I'm not at all mecha-obsessed), but they seem to be good anime)

Also, I have realized that I should certainly some more of the great animated movies, particularly those of Satoshi Kon and Hayao Miyazaki. However, I'm not sure what the best picks out of those would be.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • -Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    -FLCL
    -Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    Those are strange suggestions. FLCL is supposed to be good, Code Geass a bunch of bleep, and wasn't Gundam SEED the worst Gundam series? Or am I mistaking it with a similar one?
  • I'd be careful with those three. FLCL is largely hit or miss depending on the person (more so than usual), Code Geass is fun to watch, but only because the plot goes to complete shit near the end of season 1 at which point it's absolutely hilarious to see what sort of bullshit the writers come up with to advance the mangled story, and Gundam 0080 and 08th MS Team both hold up significantly better than SEED.

And no, GS wasn't the worst of the Gundam series. That distinction is a toss-up between SD Gundam Force, G-Saviour, Gundam SEED Destiny, and G-Gundam (unless you're Erwin).
  • -Gurren Lagann
    -Miyazaki Anithing Ghibli
    -Hajime No Ippo
    -Evangelion
    -Serial Experiments Lain
    -FLCL
    -Akira
    -Samurai Champloo
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    -Paprika
    -Anithing put out by Studio 4°C
    -Vampire Hunter D
    -Fist of the North Star (at least the OVAS, but the anime is quite awesome)
    -Eyeshield 21
    -Space Runaway Ideon
    -Genshiken

All of that can be easily found via torrent, P2P, Rapidshare or bought.
  • -Eyeshield 21
    I'm torn on that one. It's really fun in the beginning but it turns into absolute crap later on. The manga stays great throughout but the anime really makes a horrible turn for the worse. For a shonen series I would recommend Soul Eater so far.

@ OP: I recommend everything else of MrRoboto's list and I also highly recommend Black Lagoon, Azumanga Daioh and both Ghost in the Shell movies.
  • Giant Robo
    SDF Macross
    Getter Robo
  • -Eyeshield 21
    I'm torn on that one. It's really fun in the beginning but it turns into absolute crap later on. The manga stays great throughout but the anime really makes a horrible turn for the worse. For a shonen series I would recommend Soul Eater so far.

@ OP: I recommend everything else of MrRoboto's list and I also highly recommend Black Lagoon, Azumanga Daioh and both Ghost in the Shell movies.
    Guess you're right about that one, and yes, dunno how I missed Azumanga and Ghost in the Shell
  • edited September 2008
    Honestly, I think it's a growing tendency of this entire forum.
    Everyone is taking themselves too goddamn seriously and whining a lot (and Jen is a significant factor in this).

Yes, I was being sarcastic with my comment. If I could be bothered I'd argue that I was satirizing an attitude of U.S. supremacy that is not uncommon on these forums.

Anyways, I guess I'll try the anime recommendation site, thanks for that Sail.
    I was kinda hoping / assuming that my taste in anime tended towards the stuff that is "good", and looking for general recommendations of some more of the truly classic anime, but I guess I'll find those eventually either way.

In any case, here's some anime the recommendation site seems to suggest to me (with large numbers of votes):-
    -FLCL
    -Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    (It's quite strange, I don't think this particularly reflects what I know of my tastes (e.g. I'm not at all mecha-obsessed), but they seem to be good anime)

Also, I have realized that I should certainly some more of the great animated movies, particularly those of Satoshi Kon and Hayao Miyazaki. However, I'm not sure what the best picks out of those would be.
    I would strongly suggest ignoring the vast majority of what has been recommended to you so far due to the majority of the series/movies being personal favorites rather than an objective list of what is "good".

I have to ask, what else outside of the "holy four"+Utena have you watched so far?

Also, what live-action shows and movies do you watch and enjoy? What conventions from those shows and movies did you like the most?

Give us the answer to the above and we'll be able to actually help you rather than regurgitating our personal favorites.
    -FLCL
    -Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    Those are strange suggestions. FLCL is supposed to be good, Code Geass a bunch of bleep, and wasn't Gundam SEED the worst Gundam series? Or am I mistaking it with a similar one?
    Gundam Seed is shit and awesome in equal measure, Seed Destiny is mostly shit with little awesome.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • edited September 2008
    Okay, so we've established the anime recommendation site is full of people with no taste (at least according to you guys, heh).

Thanks for trying to be very helpful Tenhauser.

Apart from what I have already mentioned, here are some anime series I have watched and liked. I'll try to list them starting with those I liked most.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC (both gigs).
    Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Death Note
    Hikaru no Go
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Monster
    Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Those series are pretty much all over the place as far as I can tell; and I guess this means the same thing about my tastes. Should be harder for you guys this way ;)
    From normal TV series, I will name only Firefly.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • BECK Mongolian Chop Squad- if you like rock music and high school drama (not romance, but bullies and getting through life)
  • Gao Gai Gar
    Gao Gai Gar
  • Gao Gai Gar
    No. I like GaoGaiGar, but it's a super-specialty anime.
  • Am I not random enough to like it? It's probably worth a try at least.
  • edited September 2008
    Am I not random enough to like it? It's probably worth a try at least.
    GaoGaiGar goes after the rather small market of "People who don't mind a slow-starting, cheesey anime as long as it has a cool-looking robot and lots of yelling".
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Am I not random enough to like it? It's probably worth a try at least.
    GaoGaiGar goes after the rather small market of "People who don't mind a slow-starting, cheesey anime as long as it has a cool-looking robot and lots of yelling".
    Considering he enjoyed Gurren Lagann I doubt that is much of a problem.

I would suggest taking a look at both Big O and GaoGaiGar, both are super robot shows that include giant mecha punching other giant mecha in the face, as well as Serial Experiments Lain, both similar and different to Ghost in the Shell, Gundam 0080/83/8th MS Team, should tell you whether or not you might enjoy the Gundam franchise, Outlaw Star, very similar to both Cowboy Bebop and Firefly, Ouran High School Host Club, very funny shoujo parody, and Princess TuTu, only if you enjoyed Utena in its entirety.

That is all that comes to mind at the moment.
  • Considering he enjoyed Gurren Lagann I doubt that is much of a problem.
    Are you claiming that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a slow-starting and cheesy anime? As for a suggestion not yet on the list, try Kino no Tabi. What? Of course I suggest that, and because TTGL, SEL, Haruhi and Cowboy Bebop are already suggested or seen. Movies, as you already realized, Ghibli + Satoshi Kon, and perhaps take a look at Wolf Brigade if you haven't done so already.
  • Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight
  • edited September 2008
    Considering he enjoyed Gurren Lagann I doubt that is much of a problem.
    Are you claiming that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a slow-starting and cheesy anime? As for a suggestion not yet on the list, try Kino no Tabi. What? Of course I suggest that, and because TTGL, SEL, Haruhi and Cowboy Bebop are already suggested or seen. Movies, as you already realized, Ghibli + Satoshi Kon, and perhaps take a look at Wolf Brigade if you haven't done so already.
    Since he enjoyed TTGL he might enjoy other super robot anime, and GaoGaiGar is one of the best examples of that genre. While it does start out slow you have to remember that it is a longer than normal series, 49 episodes IIRC, and like other series that are that long, such as many Gundam shows, it uses the first 12 or so episodes to set everything up.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight
    You bastard.
  • edited September 2008
    First watch the holy trinity of Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Ninja Scroll.

Then move to the second tier which consist of Trigun, Paranoia Agent, and Big O.

Then prepare to punch your balls off with both Shin Getter Robos, Mazinkaiser, and G Gundam.

GETTTAAAAHHHHH TOOOOMAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWKKKKKK!
    Post edited by Railith on