This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2008

Comments

• Badass. I wish I had a full video or audio recording of that.
  • I did enjoy the panel very much, so much so that I will definitely be trying Burning Wheel out despite my usual avoidance from tabletop RPGs. Also many thanks for the awesome T-shirt! I wish I could have stuck around for the demos with Luke Crane and the others, but I had other meet-ups to go to. I'm glad you guys will be back again next year though so I'll have more chances to talk with you.
  • edited September 2008
    Found the following tweet on Mike Sugarbaker's Twitter: "Who's the idiot who does a talk on indie RPGs aimed at D&D players and doesn't leave time for questions?"

I guess maybe that's something Scrym can keep in mind for if they ever run their panel again, if someone was unsatisfied about that. But then again, they did let people come up and ask questions after the panel was done. There was also plenty of time for more discussion after we moved to the annex, so I still don't entirely see why this was a problem. :/
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • The way PAX does panels (Staggered openings, 30 minute windows between panels) is essentially so that you don't /need/ to leave room for QA in the actual panel time. There's an hour of panel time, then 10 minutes of QA, then twenty minutes for the enforcers to move the remaining questions (Which are usually best answered one-on-one anyway) to the hallway. Panelists get to run long, attendees get to ask QA in a less formal atmosphere, and there's no rush at the hour marks. It does "waste" some time, but panel room time is cheap, and running a good panel is not. I encourage every con to run their panels this way.
  • edited September 2008
    What did you see Geeknights and forumites? I saw Rym and Scott in the morning day one and never again.

I spent a lot of Friday on the floor playing games, like Left 4 Dead, the Nintendo Star Wars games, Fable II, Lego Batman, Resistance Retribution, Rise of the Argonauts and a whack more but I managed to hit every public stage appearance by Mike and Jerry (and spoke with Jerry for 20 minutes in the hotel lobby about the show being over and awesome) including the great Press Q&A.

I skipped the second concert, though we worked our way from the back of OneUps to front and center of Coulton so that was incredible. And the Rock Band Omegathon was weak, but the Sex Generals performance meant so much to my buddy and I since we'd rocked that Journey tune long in to the night prior at a bar. Also, Mike informed us how much Kara loved singing Boston when we told him we were playing it at Harmonix so she belted out More Than a Feeling for us which was also way fun.

I was surprised at how many times I meant and spoke with the Penny Arcade, those are some super duper fucking sweet guys.

Also, Vs. Excitebike was the greatest freaking thing I've ever seen. That was a great finale.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • edited September 2008
    Sorry I missed seeing you, MitchyD. I was wondering if I'd run into you, mainly because I thought it'd be fun to run into another Albertan at the con. :D Although, surprisingly enough, I ran into one of my friends from high school totally out of the blue once I got off my Greyhound. That was very pleasant and bizarre.

Also: finally managed to get all my photos and my shorter video clips uploaded to Flickr.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Haha, you took a picture of my friends, yet we didn't end up running into each other.

How strange.
  • edited September 2008
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Rym doing a fish face behind Ro?
    I don't know. I can't see it at work.

I honestly didn't take a lot of pics. However, I will try to upload them tonight.
  • Eryn, you sat INSANELY close to me during Family Feud. I'm in the second row and deaaaad center.
  • Eryn, you sat INSANELY close to me during Family Feud. I'm in the second row and deaaaad center.
    I missed Family Feud. How was it? I hear the panel is pretty damn awesome.
  • SniperDragon: Neat! Sorry we missed each other too, then. Which picture are your friends in?

MitchyD: Augh, so close! D:

Ro: From what I saw of the Feud, it was indeed fairly awesome. Good categories and hosting all around. I hadn't heard of Alon Waisman or his radio show before, but obviously he must do a good job with it. :)
  • Hey Eryn, how long did you spend in Vancouver? Based on the photos, just long enough to stretch your legs?
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, pretty much. I had enough time to get some late lunch/early dinner, get my American money changed back to Canadian, and then go to sit in the park outside the station for about ten minutes.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited September 2008
    The contestants on the Feud were yawwwwwwwwntastic.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • get my American money changed back to Canadian.
    So how do you do that? Is there a money kiosk or something?
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, there was just a little currency exchange window with one guy manning it inside the bus station.
    The contestants on the Feud were yawwwwwwwwntastic.
    Ahh, glad I didn't stay longer than it took for the initial game fervour to die down, then.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Alon Waisman or hisradio showbefore
    I have heard of them. In fact, I listened to him for awhile. He was linked to on Penny Arcade way way back. I have to get the Family Feud software from him.
  • edited September 2008
    My friend was the Professor Birch, with the Torchic.

I actually might have been there when you took the picture!
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Great pics Eryn. You took a lot that were pretty cool.

After being to so man PAXIS (yes, this is intentional) and conventions in general, I get too lazy to take pics. However, you can see what I took on my Flickr.

I also recorded a video of the band The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets performing their song "Shhh" on Rock Band 2. The upload to youtube lessened the quality of the video. I'm not really into the band, but it was pretty humorous and cool to see a band perform their own stuff on Rock Band. ^_^
  • edited September 2008
    Love those pipe cleaner creations! <3

Also, I'd never heard any of the groups performing at the Saturday concerts before aside from MC Frontalot, so that made it easier for me to bow out of the concerts and keep going with the Burning Wheel stuff. Just watching that Rock Band video, I had to turn it off so that I wouldn't second-guess my decision to not go. XD;;

Speaking of Burning Wheel, though: the first of the two demos I recorded is now up on YouTube. The second will probably follow tomorrow. Again, you might need to turn your volume up to hear things clearly:

Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited September 2008
    Speaking of Burning Wheel, though: the first of the two demos I recorded is now up on YouTube.
    I just started watching; I like that you can hear Rym'n'Scott talking very loudly in the background! Cheers.
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • Pity the battery failed when it did, the Duel of Wits was the part of Burning Wheel I was most interested in seeing.
  • Good lord, I look dorky. >.> I really sucked at Burning Wheel. I really suck at lying sometimes. ^^;;
  • So that's what its like in its natural environment. Having only read the manuals its kind of hard to judge how it actually works/flows in practice.
  • Speaking of Burning Wheel, though: the first of the two demos I recorded is now up on YouTube.
    I just started watching; I like that you can hear Rym'n'Scott talking very loudly in the background! Cheers.
    Couldn't really be helped, yeah. XD;; Oh well, you can still hear most of the demo, and that's what's important.
  • Couldn't really be helped, yeah. XD;; Oh well, you can still hear most of the demo, and that's what's important.
    We're going to try to work with Luke to record some sort of definitive demonstration of Burning Wheel. Give us time, and you'll see something very awesome.
  • Couldn't really be helped, yeah. XD;; Oh well, you can still hear most of the demo, and that's what's important.
    We're going to try to work with Luke to record some sort of definitive demonstration of Burning Wheel. Give us time, and you'll see something very awesome.
    I kept meaning to go hit the "Record" button on the sound system in serpent, but alas...
  • I kept meaning to go hit the "Record" button on the sound system in serpent, but alas...
    At least it was on in Wolfman. (PAX uses the same Marantz we do ^_~).
  • PAX uses the same Marantz we do ^_~
    At least they did in that one room.