This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080902 - PAX '08: Part 1

edited September 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we bring you the first part of our 2008 Penny Arcade Expo coverage.

Scott's Thing - MySQL Game
Rym's Thing - The End of PAX (Spoilers)

Comments

• Wow, 1:21 for Friday only? I hope you guys get the rest out in a timely fashion vs. past part 2s of previous episodes. :P
  • Heh, 50,000 people is about 1/12th of the Seattle's population, which would explain the number of Paxers you saw roaming about the city.
  • Part two will be next Tuesday, covering Saturday in the very least. A separate discussion of Seattle and the trip in general will hit you tonight. We'll also have a few follow-up shows talking about what makes PAX different from other conventions.
  • As for the Cookie Brigade, if you donated more than $5 they gave you a free pin. I donated $10 and will take a pick to show the cute button. I talked to girl, who I believe organized it and asked how did they get the donations for the ingredients. She answered that they basically come from out of pocket from all the bakers. They don't use any of the proceeds they collect to buy more ingredients. They also had cookies that were sugar free as well as gluten free, for people who have issues with normal cookie ingredients. I thought that was pretty awesome.

As for Tycho in his nerd cape, I didn't take a pic of it at PAX, however I did take a pic of him at a WoW Card Convention:
  • Cookie Brigade is the shit. Bummer than I didn't buy any :(

As for "The Life of Scott" -- Isn't that a Scott Pilgrim book?
  • edited September 2008
    As for "The Life of Scott" -- Isn't that a Scott Pilgrim book?
    I don't think so. The first book of Scott Pilgrim is called "Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life". Also, Onipress was in the Exhibition room. They sold a small book of Scott Pilgrim called, "Full Colour Odds & Ends 2008, issue 1" for $5. They also gave you a free button, which I lost later on that day. It made me a sad panda.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Oh man, I wish I'd stayed for more of the concerts now. I don't really have a lot of concert endurance, so I only stayed for the first half of the OneUps and the second half of Freezepop (I agree that their encore was AWESOME), and I didn't end up seeing JoCo.
  • As for "The Life of Scott" -- Isn't that a Scott Pilgrim book?
    I don't think so. The first book of Scott Pilgrim is called "Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life". Also, Onipress was in the Exhibition room. They sold a small book of Scott Pilgrim called,"Full Colour Odds & Ends 2008, issue 1"for $5. They also gave you a free button, which I lost later on that day. It made me a sad panda.
    AT PAX?! WTF DOOD!!!!!

I didn't go to Saturday's concert but we managed to weasel our way front and center for Freezepop and JoCo. :D

Scott mentions on the show that you could have eaten and been back before a line ended -- we walked to a McDonald's 4 blocks away before our friend had been served in the Subway line we left 'em in.
  • edited September 2008
    Scott mentions on the show that you could have eaten and been back before a line ended -- we walked to a McDonald's 4 blocks away before our friend had been served in the Subway line we left 'em in.
    Yeah the 2 Subways and the Taco Del Mar are convenient, however if you go during the rush, it's not worth going to. The Westlake Shopping Center food court is at max 3 blocks away (is that the Mickey D's your friend went to?) and they have a crap ton of restaurants of many varieties to appease whatever hunger or craving you might have.
    Also, Onipress was in the Exhibition room.AT PAX?! WTF DOOD!!!!!
    You obviously did not notice them in the Exhibition Room map. :P You probably were too busy waiting in line to play Left 4 Dead or Fallout 3 or whatever. I can understand this. Last year, I pretty much spent 90% of my time in the Exhibition room checking everything out. I didn't spend much time this year, but was able to just see what they had, but not really spend a lot of time demoing games. It was better that way.
  • edited September 2008
    No no no -- We went to McD's while that fucking idiot stayed in the stupid huge Subway line :) We went to the one behind the Bank of America.

And yeah :) I was preoccupied with fending off a zombie horde or some such awesomeness.

I can't wait for next year. Want now.

PS: Those sumos were incredible.

PPS: I don't care how much anyone hates Diablo, the OneUps rendition of the Diablo song was FUCKING AMAZING.

PPPS: I don't know how close you were to me, but it may have been me with the lighter application. Was it WAY CLOSE to the stage?
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • Oh yes, so much love for the sumos. I randomly lay down on one of them on Friday night when it wasn't as crowded and was like "Oh man, why has the world not informed me of these things' existence before?" <3

Also, I managed to get into the 4th floor Subway without much hassle around 10:30 PM, when the line had randomly gone down for a span of about five minutes. After I got into the shortened line, a new wave of people joined it behind me, so I was glad I got there when I did. ^^; And man, was it not worth it. That Subway sucked balls compared to the one near my work. The meat and sauce were completely tasteless for some reason. :P
  • Why did you people eat at Subway and McDonald's? We ate, or attempted to eat, high quality food for every single meal. There was no shortage of awesome restaurants. We had a few average meals in there, but nothing so low as fast food. We didn't have a bad meal until we ate breakfast in New York. That's a sad story for later.
  • Oh yes, so much love for the sumos. I randomly lay down on one of them on Friday night when it wasn't as crowded and was like "Oh man, why has the world not informed me of these things' existence before?" <3</p>
    Actually, Coldguy did back in the Things of Your Day thread.
    Why did you people eat at Subway and McDonald's?
    Subway may not be the best of food, however $5 subs are a good deal. On Saturday, Jeremy and I got food there before we went to the Make a Strip Panel. We only had to wait like 10 minutes before we ordered. We went to the Subway outside the WSCTC that is right next to the crepe place. The two guys there had a decent system of serving the customers.

I will agree about many different places of high quality food around there that are within walking distance.
  • Subway may not be the best of food, however $5 subs are a good deal.
    For $6, you could get much better food in greater quantity at the mall, which was a few blocks away. I spent $7 on a gigantic platter of Greek food and a drink.
  • Subway may not be the best of food, however $5 subs are a good deal.
    For $6, you could get much better food in greater quantity at the mall, which was a few blocks away. I spent $7 on a gigantic platter of Greek food and a drink.
    I got Thai food and mango lemonade at that food court. Yum!
  • edited September 2008
    I know and agree about the food court. I took both of you there for lunch on Friday! ^_~ I'm merely giving the excuse that sometimes some people are just too lazy to walk and make the effort. It's not a good excuse but probably the main excuse for most people.
  • edited September 2008
    Eh, it was late-ish and I wanted food right there and then. I did go to Cheesecake Factory the next day, which was splendiferous. :3
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eh, it was late-ish and I wanted food right there and then. I did go to Cheesecake Factory the next day, which was splendiferous. :3
    Why do people like Cheesecake Factory? What's so great about it? It seems like just another franchise restaurant. If I'm in Seattle, I'm not going to eat somewhere that also exists in NY.
  • Why do people like Cheesecake Factory? What's so great about it? It seems like just another franchise restaurant. If I'm in Seattle, I'm not going to eat somewhere that also exists in NY.
    The nearest Cheesecake Factory to me is at least 2 hours away in Boston. Also, delicious cheesecake is delicious.
  • edited September 2008
    Why do people like Cheesecake Factory? What's so great about it? It seems like just another franchise restaurant. If I'm in Seattle, I'm not going to eat somewhere that also exists in NY.
    For Eryn, there are no Cheesecake Factories in Canada.

I've honestly never heard of Cheesecake Factory until I went up that area many years ago. I was told by many people that it's a really great place to eat. My first time there I was not disappointed. The menu has a wide variety of food for people who crave whatever sort of food they are craving. I have yet to try a dish there I did not like, and I try to order something different there everytime.

The cheesecake is great. I'm sure there are many better cheesecakes out there, but The Cheesecake Factory has some DAMN good cheesecake. (I will also note, if you guys did go to Pike's Place Market, you might have been able to try this small quaint cheesecake place that serves their cheesecake in small round, cylindrical type serving dishes. They are pretty awesome as well. Hopefully you guys did see them.)

I can understand your point it in being another franchise restaurant, however if you compare it to the Applebees or the Red Robins, there really aren't that many Cheesecake Factories out there. Sure there are 3 now in Washington, and yes there are many in New York as well. They are pretty much in any major city in the U.S.

I will say it is nice to go try new things and new restaurants when you are in a different city. Going to the same place might be boring, but in Eryn's case, it is not.
  • I can understand your point it in being another franchise restaurant, however if you compare it to the Applebees or the Red Robins, there really aren't that many Cheesecake Factories out there. Sure there are 3 now in Washington, and yes there are many in New York as well. They are pretty much in any major city in the U.S.
    I've never heard of Red Robin, wtf is that?
  • I've never heard of Red Robin, wtf is that?
    Red Robin, franchise family restaurant known for their burgers and appetizers as well as having people sing you happy birthday. Applebees, Shenanigans, Red Robins, T.G.I.Fridays, they are all pretty much the same. There are many here, especially in the suburbs.
  • I've never heard of Red Robin, wtf is that?
    Red Robin, franchise family restaurant known for their burgers and appetizers as well as having people sing you happy birthday. Applebees, Shenanigans, Red Robins, T.G.I.Fridays, they are all pretty much the same. There are many here, especially in the suburbs.
    We have TGIF, Applebees, and Ruby Tuesdays. We don't have Shenanigans or Red Robin. We used to have Bennigan's.
  • edited September 2008
    Ruby Tuesdays. We don't have Shenanigans or Red Robin. We used to have Bennigan's.
    I forgot about Ruby Tuesdays. They started popping up here as well over the past few years. As for Red Robin, the nearest one near Beacon is in Poughkeepsie. I'm not, by any means recommending you go there, just informing you. :P
  • Chili's and Outback Steakhouse are great chains too; I don't know if you have them in New York, however. I would argue that Chili's and Outback are both better than Ruby Tuesday. Ruby Tuesday is really lacking in the menu department; there isn't as much variety as I would prefer.
  • Chili's
    Fuck Chili's. I only say this because there are none here. There is one at the airport, but I'm not going to waste my time going through airport traffic and spending money on parking to get Chili's. There are also some on the other side of the state. My boyfriend and I hate when we see the commercials for Chili's on TV because even though it looks good, we know we can't get any.

Outback is pretty good. I prefer most of my steak to be prepared at a hibachi though.
  • Chili's and Outback Steakhouse are great chains too; I don't know if you have them in New York, however. I would argue that Chili's and Outback are both better than Ruby Tuesday. Ruby Tuesday is really lacking in the menu department; there isn't as much variety as I would prefer.
    They are better than Ruby Tuesday, but that's not saying much. Outback is ok, but I can make a better steak in my backyard for less money.
  • Chili's
    Fuck Chili's.
    I also say fuck chili's because they aren't here. :(
  • I also say fuck chili's because they aren't here. :(
    Are you serious? There are a shit ton in Northern Virginia.
  • If I'm in Seattle, I'm not going to eat somewhere that also exists in NY.
    What if every restaurant in the chain was tied for best restaurant ever?