This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RNC Discussion Thread

edited September 2008 in Politics
So I'm watching the RNC and I have stuff to say, so here goes.

Just saw Romney's speech, and, IMO, it absolutely sucked. It was poorly written, poorly delivered, and consisted entirely of applause-generating throw-away one-liners (hyphens!).

Huckabee's is on now, and I have to say he is about the most likeable nut you'll ever see. His speech (party-affiliation and political views aside) is, so far, well-written and delivered, though I must say the line about Palin getting more votes as mayor of Wasilla than Joe Biden got in his presidential run fails my fact check, as Wasilla has a population of just over 6,000.

Anticipating Palin's speech. Your thoughts?

EDIT: Huckabee just finished. The bit about the desks was brilliant; Romney didn't have anything like that. Very impressed.

Comments

• Yeah, I went and watched the parade of protesters.
  • Giuliani, whom I have some respect for, was reminding me of Lewis Black towards the beginning. He's making a few sarcastic jabs at the Democrats. It's really well delivered, but I profoundly disagree with a lot of what he's saying. He's throwing some SERIOUS mud at Obama, Biden, and the Democratic Party. The flip-flopping attacks don't seem so valid when McCain has been on the record for flip-flopping numerous times.

Woah. He just said Palin has more experience than the whole Democratic ticket combined. REALLY? Don't think so, sorry Rudy. He's getting more and more ridiculous as the speech goes on.

"How dare they ask if Palin will have enough time to deal with her children!?" Did he not hear that Obama came out strongly against anyone criticizing Palin's family? That said, having a child with Down syndrome and taking a job where you will have almost zero time to be with the child is probably a bad idea.
  • edited September 2008
    God, Palin's speech is a yawner. Nothing particularly exciting. At least Rudy's speech was entertaining, jeez.

Edit: She mentioned the Bridge to Nowhere, which she flip-flopped on.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Palin: "Down syndrome baby, down syndrome baby, Alaska, down syndrome baby, Alaska, Alaska, Alaska, Alaska."
  • I saw a button that said "Hottest VP, coolest state" that made me LOL.
  • God, Palin's speech is a yawner. Nothing particularly exciting. At least Rudy's speech was entertaining, jeez.

Edit: She mentioned the Bridge to Nowhere, whichshe flip-flopped on.
    It's not a speech. It's a holiday newsletter laced with semi-political but uninformed (and in some cases genuinely evil) statements. My favorite was how Obama isn't worried about terrorists because he's worried they "haven't been read their rights." No rights for the accused, she says.
  • I'm at a hotel right now, and there are a lot of Americans here, we are watching the RNC live on the lobby bar and right after Palin finished her speech one of them stood up and clapped at the TV.
  • My favorite was how Obama isn't worried about terrorists because he's worried they "haven't been read their rights." No rights for the accused, she says.
    Yes! Thank you! The fact that she got so much applause for that worried me just as much as the statement itself.
  • This is the first time I actually bother watching one of this before, I have a question. What's with the voting? Just for show?
  • This is the first time I actually bother watching one of this before, I have a question. What's with the voting? Just for show?
    The voting is just for show at this point because each party has pledged enough caucus votes to one candidate that there is no competition. In years past, if the Democrats or Republicans hadn't settled officially on which candidate to back, they would vote to decide.
  • I just watched Palin's speech. It disgusts me that she practically approves of the conduct at GITMO.
  • Maybe its just my abhorrence to Republican attack dogs in general, but does she seem necessarily smug to any one else?
  • yes but you were not her audience ^_^ so it's understandable
  • edited September 2008
    I've been amused by the republicans saying she is in a state next to Russia and that this gives her foreign policy experience. It's not like she's met with Russian leaders or traveled there or she fought off a invasion.

That would be like the democrats saying Obama has served in the battlefield of chicago's gang land or something.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Or in the words of John Stewart: Alaska is also close to the North Pole, so she must be friends with Santa Claus.
  • I live pretty close to the ocean. I must be a marine biologist.

Jason lives close to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. Jason must be a rock star.
  • edited September 2008
    Jason must be a rock star.
    You finally figured that out? ^_~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2008
    Ro, don't you live close to the ocean? You must be an Admiral.

Here's some fact-checking on the RNC Convention.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Ro, don't you live close to the ocean? You must be an Admiral.
    Yes, I do! Admiral Ro at your service. I also specialize in Marine Biology like yourself.
  • edited September 2008
    Omnutia lives in England. I guess that means that he must be King Arthur.
  • edited September 2008
    This forum has become so absurdly biased. that it's really starting to lose any credibility. Take off the blinders, guys. Even Bill Clinton's former adviser gave her an "A." Howard Dean's former campaign manager said "She passed this test with flying colors."

I'm in a pickle. I don't like McCain's war-hawk attitude. However, I'm not a fan of Obama's economic platform.

I think I need to compare Obama's economic positions to those of Bill Clinton. After all, the economy wasn't shabby at all under Clinton. If the two aren't far apart, then I imagine I will swing for Obama.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited September 2008
    I am biased. I'm biased against a woman who openly decries the rights of the accused. I'm biased against a woman who is anti-choice. I am biased against a woman who uses the sex card and mommy credentials and wants to assert that they are good qualifications to hold the second-highest office in the land. I am biased against a woman who says she controls 20 percent of America's oil when in fact she only controls the power to tax it. I am biased against a woman who in one breath says she took Alaska away from the oil lobby and in the next breath proclaims her intentions of giving ANWR to the oil lobby. I am against a woman who believes that she is qualified to be commander-in-chief should the need arise, based solely on the fact that she is the governor of the nation's second-smallest National Guard. I am biased against a woman who says she is an earmark reformer but has asked this year for $175 million in federal earmarks. I am biased against someone who advocates censorship.

And I am especially biased against people who like her based on last night's speech -- which was written by McCain's staff months ago and adapted for her two days ago. Do you really think that prepared remarks show the strength of anyone but speech writers?
    Post edited by Jason on

• I'm in a pickle. I don't like McCain's war-hawk attitude. However, I'm not a fan ofObama's economicplatform.

I think I need to compare Obama's economic positions to those of Bill Clinton. After all, the economy wasn't shabby at all under Clinton. If the two aren't far apart, then I imagine I will swing for Obama.
    The key thing here is that as our current president has demonstrated, the chief executive actually has quite a bit of power when it comes to matters of war. However, I think people give US presidents too much credit, and blame, for the state of the economy. The economy was good while Clinton was in office. He did balance the budget and create a surplus. But the economy was good before he finished doing that. Would the economy really have been that different if Bush the first had remained in office? I just find it incredibly difficult to give much blame or credit for the state of the economy on one person. Even now, the mortgage crisis is not Bush's fault. He just happens to be in charge while it happened. If Clinton were still president now, would it have been any different?

If you care about the economy, vote for people who agree with your economic principles in the house of representatives, where the purse strings are.
  • edited September 2008
    Even now, the mortgage crisis is not Bush's fault. He just happens to be in charge while it happened. If Clinton were still president now, would it have been any different?
    One of the hallmarks of the conservative movement is to relax regulation on everything from the stock market to pollution control. Did you ever see any of the wacky mortgage schemes of the Bush years advertised during the Clinton years? No. Why? Because Bush, the Republicans in Congress, and the Republicans Bush appointed to government agencies repealed and ignored regulations that used to keep this sort of thing from happening. Link. Perhaps the easiest example of this can be found in the actions of Bush's HUD Secretary.

Bush appointed this guy. This guy did not deserve the job. Instead of doing his job, he was more concerned with making a shrine to himself. I'd say that was pretty much Bush's fault.

Jason, I haven't heard a speech that passionate since Obama spoke last week. My heart's all a-flutter. I do believe I'm getting a case of the vapors. It's a good thing I have a fainting couch in my office.

EDIT: In the interests of being fair, I'll have to say that Bill Clinton's repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act didn't help. There's a reason for these regulations, just like there's a reason for a governor on a steam engine. If you let things run wild, shenanigans result.
  • Clinton also passed the DSHEA, which is the primary reason that we have so much bullshit medicine going around these days.
  • Clinton also passed the DSHEA, which is the primary reason that we have so much bullshit medicine going around these days.
    Sigh.. This was back before I was angry about hippie Randi BS, or else I would have been outraged back then much as I am now in retrospect.
  • Jason, you forgot that you are also biased against women who bond with organizations who's goal is to secede from the union and claim to be patriotic.
  • Sigh.. This was back before I was angry about hippie Randi BS, or else I would have been outraged back then much as I am now in retrospect.
    It was impossible for anyone to be outraged back then. Who could have seen it coming?
  • edited September 2008
    Jason, you forgot that you are also biased against women who bond with organizations who's goal is to secede from the union and claim to be patriotic.
    Actually, I can almost sympathize with secessionists. I can understand the feelings of those who pulled the nation into Civil War. That's fine. If you want to break away, then that's at least a talking point. It's a fucking terrible idea, but it's one of which I can see both sides.

However, you can't advocate secession and then run for the second-highest office in the country. They are disparate goals that can't be held in tandem.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Actually, I can almost sympathize with secessionists.
    In my backyard, may liberals are secessionists. It's an issue that does not know party lines.