This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

RymRym
edited July 2006 in Everything Else
I just ascended Mount Beacon in 26 minutes, then immediately descended in 11. My legs are burning, and I bruised my ankle climbing. It was fantastic!

So... To somehow make this relevant as a thread, who's done something particularly awesome lately? Sports, gaming, coding, whatever. Here's your chance to show off ^_^

Comments

• edited July 2006
    I can play on the guitar:
    .:The stair-fighting song from Utena.
    .:"Ready steady go" (FMA opening song.)
    .:"Ride of shooting star".

.:And I can play most of "trough the fire and the flame's" lead guitar.
    (I been playing guitar most of my life.)
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I woke up on time this morning!
  • It's not so much lately as ongoing, but I'm at 282 pounds, down from 303 earlier in the year and from my peak weight of 315. Waist size 44! I can shop at Old Navy!
  • I finally moved over to linux. :)
  • dear got this weekend down the shore... I Played DDR on Friday, Ran 3ish miles Saturday morning, walked another 4 and then danced at a night club for at least 2 hours to wake up on Sunaday and run about 3 1/2 miles and then walk another 2 and play about a half hour of DDR...

needless to say.. My legs are in PAIN!
  • I helped a good friend through hard times.
  • edited July 2006
    I went for a great ride in my car tonight and then wrote about it.
    http://www.mentalinterface.net
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • I got second place in my first game of Settlers of Catan ever; I think Tuesday's episode really helped with that one
  • I introduced two people to Carcassonne tonight.
  • I woke up on time this morning!
    I woke up this morning!
  • I went fishing on the St. Lawrence River last weekend and this weekend my brother and I bought Settlers of Catan and played the hell outta it.
  • My physical therapy is finally paying off! The knee feels funny/in pain only part of the time now! ^_^
  • I managed to roughly hold my own against one of the nationally ranked fighters at my dojang!
  • I just won $40 in poker
  • Finally handed in my team's design doc, test pack and an early system iteration. I'm taking tomorrow off!
  • I learned the kana and I started my new job (back to making pastries... no more bread! - this is a good thing).
  • Ha! I just now climbed Mount Beacon in 22 minutes and descended in 9.
  • I sat around and cooked some pasta ^_^ Go me!
  • 1) I have lost nearly 10 pounds. 195lb and still going down. I will be my target of 180 well before my wedding.

2) I finally got a new car

3) I continue to create fun content for Transformers fans. I am a host on the ONLY Transformers podcast and I also do fun video reviews of Transformers toys. I will withhold the link for now since I don't want to shamelessly plug my podcast on the Geeknights forums. :)
  • Once again, I exhibited excellent self-control and did not cause trouble with either Homeland Security or FEMA, both of whom have offices in my building.
  • Once again, I exhibited excellent self-control and did not cause trouble with either Homeland Security or FEMA, both of whom have offices in my building.
    Aww! But pestering government workers is so much fun!
  • I just slew a paper wasp nest at great personal risk ^_~
  • I totally didn't die this weekend. :D
    Aww! But pestering government workers is so much fun!
    I am a government worker. :p

And by "cause trouble," I mean "light them on fire."
  • I totally did nothing of value today, thereby leaving ample opportunity for others to do something amazing and get rich and famous.
  • I finished two of my summer classes a week early and have begun trying to improve my memory. I have learned 30 peg words so far and have 70 to go.
  • I kissed a girl. This was a first.
  • I just completed my fifth wedding cake. This alone is an accomplishment for me but there is a special reason this is a "boo yah".

With each cake I do I try to do something I have not done before. This means that each one is a massive, stressful exercise in learning many, many things not to do on the next one. I have learned a lot with these five cakes.
    Semi-joking aside, I do learn a lot of things that should be done with each one.

This time I thought it was time to explore the use of gum paste. Otherwise known as sugar paste though anymore everyone uses some type of gum powder to ease in pliability and support when the product is dry.

I did learn a lot about what not to do but the most important thing I learned is that gum paste is not anywhere near as difficult to use as many make it out to be. You can achieve amazing results with a very easy to work medium. Perhaps this is because I am used to physical sculpting of other materials for modeling. In any case it's a treat to work with and it looks amazing when finished and dried.

I will try to post some pics of the recent cake when I get the pics back.

On a side note - One of the best cakes I ever did was a giant Shoggoth cake for a geek friend of my wife's wedding. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it as I was exhausted because of work and working on this cake and it just slipped my mind. I was much more interested in delivering it and setting it up then going to sleep than taking pictures...
    I have to attempt to get pics of this as it was my first sculpted cake. Not to mention it's a fucking Shoggoth cake! Licorice veins... green slime... multiple eyes... sunken city base... It had it all and not one got damn picture! Regrets? I have a few....
  • All of a sudden, I have an image of Cthulhu rising out of a large hollow cake, singing "Happy Birthday, Mr. Lovecraft"
  • 19:04 from base to summit. I think I'm nearing my limit. ^_^