This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Throwaway Thursday: The Zombie Hordes

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Everything Else
So, how would you handle the Zombie Apocalypse? ^_~

Comments

• Well, the first thing I would do is read the zombie survival guide again just to brush up on the facts.
  • Depends on if they're fast zombies or slow zombies, and the transmission vector.
  • edited October 2006
    Katsu echoes my thoughts on this. You have to gather as much information about the threat as possible to develop a plan of action. Of course, Katsu, you have to live long enough to figure out these things out these facts in the first place. So, a game plan for the first several hours is important until you can get all the information you need to survive, especially if you are near ground zero or it's a worldwide invasion!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think it would be a good idea if we split up the zombie watching duties among those of us that are willing to take up this ever important duty. I volunteer to watch for any kind of magic zombie.
  • Holy shits! I have owned Rowan Atkinson Live for years! This was a vid my friends and I would watch in high school over and over and over and over. I'm holding the original VHS in my hands right now! When I was 17, I bought the only copy I could find at a Sam Goody near SUNY Plattsburgh (I grew up in Malone, about 40 minutes away). In the past 9 years, I've shown it to all my potential friends as a friend litmus test. If you're ever in northern Ohio, swing by and we'll pop it in the VCR.
  • For the record, I am aware that I said 88 instead of 28. You can blame having talked about Kill Bill shortly before the show... ^_~
  • First thing to do in the event of a zombie apocalypse: grab whatever you can and get in your car. While it may become a liability later, it can provide some modicum of protection and a means of quick escape as information is collected on the type of zombie that has infested the Earth.
  • A Volkswagen Scirocco is always a good choice
  • When you talked about a dude who is on the undead watching duties, it hit a little close to home because that's my friend's job.
  • A bike seems like a good vehicle as well. Its easy to transport and fast enough to outrun even some fast zombies for a little while.
  • A word to the wise.

When confronted by the zombie apocalypse, you may wish to turn to a force that is feared by all creatures other than humans, including the vile undead: fire. Fire, indeed, can be an effective weapon against the zombie horde if used properly. But before you make a beeline to your local gas station and begin preparing Molotov cocktails in emptied Bud Light bottles, consider a few salient points:
    1. You'll need a lot. Torches won't cut it; I'm talking a town-busting, makes-Smokey-the-Bear-cry inferno.
    2. Always use in a well-ventilated area: zombies probably don't need to breathe, but you do.
    3. Remember, a burning zombie is still a threat. Keep 'em at bay until the ashes are gray.
    This last deserves special consideration. While sufficient fire will kill a zombie, it will not do so quickly: you run the risk of maddened, unliving torches running about trying to take a bite out of you. And should one manage to light you on fire, your only solace will be that you won't become a zombie yourself. Apply fire from a distance for best results: thrown firebombs, improvised flamethrowers, boiling fryer oil dumped off the mall roof, etc. The traditional wall of fire is rarely effective: most zombies will simply walk through it, leaving you with the previously mentioned problems re: maddened, unliving torches. Walls of fire are also notoriously difficult to provide with sufficient fuel to be effective for any period of time.
  • Depending on when you find out about the zombie invasion. It might be good to find the most fuel-efficient large car or truck with the biggest tank and acquire that. Get to the gas station as soon as you can. I would hesitant to use a bike because of the chance of being overwhelmed vs. the ability to ram your way through though it’s fuel usage makes it’s a valid choice for situations where you don’t have to ram through a bunch of zombies! (In addition, we all know your going to have to do this at least once!)

As for weapons, a hand axe/fireman's axe is probably one of the better hand-to-hand weapons if you are dealing with slow zombies and all you need to do is exposure the head. (Fast zombies you do not want to engage in melee weapons!) Mainly you will want to use this weapon because of its availability/size/ability to expose the brain ratio! Truly, then I would head over to my friends who are all about guns and independent living and shack up with them! (God forbid they actually learned skills actually useful for a zombie invasion!) As for clothes, you will want as many layers of clothing as you can possibly have with the least amount of extra bits for zombies to grab onto you with and the heaviest material. Trench coats made of leather might seem like a good idea. However, since they tend to flow and be stuck in things and give a zombie another thing to grab onto!

Lastly, if its twenty-eight day later zombies all you can do are wall yourself in the more secure and well-stocked area and wait out the infection! Do not wander around!

To prepare I would suggest that you get the hell in shape! Nothing kills you more then being a fat guy in a zombie movie! Speaking of which, I have to get to the treadmill, more on this later!

This is just a cover, we're dedicated to a higher purpose. We're fighters for truth, justice, and the American way.
  • Depending on when you find out about the zombie invasion. It might be good to find the most fuel-efficient large car or truck with the biggest tank and acquire that. Get to the gas station as soon as you can. I would hesitant to use a bike because of the chance of being overwhelmed vs. the ability to ram your way through though it’s fuel usage makes it’s a valid choice for situations where you don’t have to ram through a bunch of zombies! (In addition, we all know your going to have to do this at least once!)
    It's good to live next to a car dealer. Out my window I have ready access to contractor's trucks, SUVs, Corvettes and a Ford F350 Turbo Diesel(the baddest pickup ever). I just wish there were a few more foreign car dealers nearby. The batteries from a hybrid would be mighty useful.
  • edited October 2006
    A car dealer, a gunshop, a blade store, and a department store with groceries: if you can live next to all of these at once, more power to you! Just bar the damn doors!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    But, we all know if you are meant to survive the initial zombie invasion (and who of us wouldn't), we all know that what you'll really have to worry about are the insane humans, since they are the true evil! ^_^ Duh!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    Fear the crab zombies....you are NOT safe.

Oh and do you know how zombies in Japan get around? Easy, ttttrrrraaaiiinnnssss.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • Memorize the locations of all nearby fire departments.
  • In my opinion, it's better to have a world wide invasion rather than just an outbreak. A world wide invasion cuts down on the chances that the zombies are infectious, thus they are easier to defend against. I say this because you can sustain wounds without becoming a zombie yourself. It also means that the zombies numbers are not increasing at an exponential rate. IMHO the worst kind of zombie is a fast, infectious zombie.
  • edited October 2006
    I would comment, but iTunes is still killing my GeekNights podcasts... Even after the upgrade, playing the podcast causes my iPod to crash...

I'm going to have to make a video of it and get it on Wil Wheaton's blog so they will do something about this ;)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I would comment but iTunes is till killing my GeekNights podcasts... Even after the upgrade playing the podcast causes my iPod to crash...

I'm going to have to make a video of it and get it on Wil Wheaton's blog so they will do something about this ;)
    What iPod do you have? Mac or PC? Are you ejecting your iPod before detaching it from the computer? Did you try restoring the firmware on your iPod? Have you upgraded the firmware to the newest version?

I just downloaded and sync'd the latest episode to my nano. I am able to play it just fine without crashing. Is anyone else out there having a problem with crashing? I've heard of this happening with other podcasts, so I highly doubt it is a GeekNights problem.
  • Yes, most recent firmware upgrade. Updated iTunes last night. It only happens with GeekNights unless I change the start time to 00:01.

All previous episodes already on my iPod work fine (30GB video iPod). It is a Win-Pod. I always use the eject function from iTunes as I once did not and it killed the XML file that tells the iPod what is on my iPod. That day forced me to wipe the iPod clean and start over... All the files were there but all had names like "gtsd8w8g.mp3" and it would have been too much trouble to sort through 3K+ files...

No other Podcast has this problem. Even if I download the mp3 file direct and put it on the iPod as a song (not a podcast) it still causes a crash!
  • What do we want?

Brains!

When do we want them?

Brains!
  • I have to say, monkeys aren't as dangerous as you think. Sure, they can tear your face off if you get to close, humans have a longer reach and more importantly humans can effectivly swing things like chairs or clubs or swords. Oh, and humans can throw stuff pretty well too. A monkey might be able to hit something not to far away with thrown dung, but they generally can't kill things with thrown rocks the way humans can.
  • edited September 2006
    I have to say, monkeys aren't as dangerous as you think.
    As probably the only person on these forums that has actually been attacked by monkeys... trust me... they are as dangerous as you think. You would not believe how fast they are.

I haven't divulged my story yet, but part of it involves a group of monkeys rolling a boulder down a hole into a cave where humans were present. They also threw rocks at us. So trust me... they get the concept of rocks.

I'd take a Zombie over a monkey anyday. Zombies are slower and dumber.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Dammit, kilarney, you can't just leave us hanging. I've got to hear this alleged monkey story now. If you share, then I'll tell you the tale of how the goat attacked me over what I thought at the time to be an ice cream cone with nuts. So come clean with the story, you damned dirty ape!
  • I'd take a Zombie over a monkey any day. Zombies are slower and dumber.
    What about zombie monkeys? Holy shit that would be fucking scary!
  • edited September 2006
    I'll tell the story one of these days. The problem is that it works must better if I can demonstrate some things.

As for Zombie monkeys... holy FUCK!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • When the time is right...

You WILL call into Penn. You WILL tell the story on the air. You WILL shamelessly plug Geek Nights.
  • I'd personally try and get my hands on swords, really sharp swords, and maybe a claymore or too. Mostly for slow zombies. The nice thing with the sword is that you won't run out of ammo like you will eventually with a gun.

And if Dead Rising has taught me anything, its that large mulchers are good zombie killing weapons.