This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oh my FSM GeekNights is a cult

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
Read this checklist about cults keeping GeekNights in mind. Most, but not all, of these statements apply to GeekNights and its listeners.

Comments

• Let's break it down, shall we?
    The group is focused on a leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.
    Scrym get called out and shot down all the time.
    The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
    Not really.
    The group is preoccupied with making money.
    Ha ha. No.
    Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.
    It happens, but see the first point.
    Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
    Nah. Although I have been known to chant "Riiiiidge Racer!" over and over again.
    The leadership dictates sometimes in great detail how members should think, act, and feel (for example: members must get permission from leaders to date, change jobs, get married; leaders may prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, how to discipline children, and so forth).
    ...and what console to buy. Seriously, no. But it's funny, most of the examples given above describe government. Go figure.
    The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s), and members (for example: the leader is considered the Messiah or an avatar; the group and/or the leader has a special mission to save humanity).
    Damn straight it's elitist. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    The group has a polarized us- versus-them mentality, which causes conflict with the wider society.
    Yes. Us (the awesomes) versus them (the lameoids).
    The group's leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).
    Everyone is accountable to Mr. Period. Everyone.
    The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify means that members would have considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities).
    Nope.
    The leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them.
    Naw.
    Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.
    I have spent more time on the computer recently in order to troll the forums... CULT!!!!1!
    Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group.
    See above.
    Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members
    Yes, I'll be moving into the Front Row Crew compound in Waco just as soon I sell my house and send the money to the FRC Swiss bank account.
  • Don't you throw Latin acronyms at me, boy. Sure, I've set up a small shrine to Geeknights in my dank basement apartment, and maybe I make small blood offerings to a pair of idols carved into a likeness of Rym and Scott. But that doesn't mean I'm obsessed!

NANANANANANANANA GEEKNIGHTS! NANANANANANANANA GEEKNIGHTS! GEEKNIGHTS! GEEKNIGHTS! BATMAN!
  • Heyheyhey there cowboy, just complimenting the completeness of your discourse.
    Ergo-
    Quod Erat Demonstrandum'd
  • Sorry Hasbro, I guess joining a cult enjoying a harmless podcast makes you paranoid!
  • So temping to run the average sports team through it...
  • OHH YEAAHH!!!!
    OH NOES!
  • Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
    oo-BOOON-too

As for enemies, look in the archives for the Moon Masters mini-rivalry.
  • OHH YEAAHH!!!!
    OH NOES!
    And here's the chanting requirement...
  • OHH YEAAHH!!!!
    OH NOES!
    And here's the chanting requirement...
    Ha! If it isn't already a cult, we'll make one!

/Yay quoting posts that are quoting posts that are quoting posts!