This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rehabilitating fanboys?

jccjcc
edited September 2008 in Anime
One thing I've always enjoyed about the anime clubs I've been a part of has been that unlike other social groups, they generally have no unspoken meta-requirements. If you liked anime, and showed up, the club would accept you. One side effect of this is that occasionally the group would snare a few social leper fanboys.

So for those of you out there who are/were members of anime clubs, how did your club deal with them? I know that Scrym were fans of the "surgical removal" option in their day, but really I'm interested in rehabilitation stories. Did your club have any fanboys that got better? How was it accomplished? Any tips on fanboy management in general? Keeping them from spooking the noobs? Utilizing their non-social talents effectively?

Comments

• I deal with them in the only way they can understand: Brutal honesty.
    EX: Every five minutes during a showing of an anime, fanboy keeps putting his two cents over whats happening, or worse, narrating the action.
    Fanboy: Oh, man! did you see that!?!
    Me: Yes, I saw it. We all saw it. Now shut the fuck up so we can enjoy the anime in piece.

And if that fails, threats of graphic violence.

Fanboy: hey, I can talk if I want! Freedom of speech.
    Me: You keep talking pimple face, and I'll give you the chance to know what it feels like to be Glass Joe.

Fuckin Fanboys.
  • Sometimes it is difficult. I was always polite to the fanboys, but then they cling to you (and if you are a girl, fawn over you) and you end up regretting it. I guess insults are not the way to go, but sometimes truth hurts just as much as insults, and sometimes its really hard to change someone's behavior.

Rym and Scott actually did make an effort with politely giving out soap and stuff. They tolerated Creepy Steve for a while, but it was honesty that made him upset. The fact was, that this was someone who liked hentai animated snuff films. REALLY LIKED THEM. And that would make me uncomfortable. When they said as much, he broke down crying.

It's a tough question.
  • edited September 2008
    Sometimes it is difficult. I was always polite to the fanboys, but then they cling to you (and if you are a girl, fawn over you) and you end up regretting it.
    Oh god yeah. Argh! But I took a lemon and made some lemonade.

The only time I kinda rehabilitated a fanboy is when one asked me out. I dated him for awhile and was straightforward in a non insulting way. We only went out on a few dates but I think I helped him in some ways. He doesn't smell and dresses cooler anyway. We still talk now and then because he's the only one in the RL who I can have a decent anime debate with that doesn't end with "Ur gay lol!" It was fun but we didn't fall for each other but were cool.

Then there's the other fanboys in clubs I was in. Mostly people did they only thing you can do. Ignore them, not talk to them, tell them to leave if they are trouble or just talk about them.
    The fact was, that this was someone who liked hentai animated snuff films. REALLY LIKED THEM. And that would make me uncomfortable. When they said as much, he broke down crying.
    I don't think we ever made the fanboys cry. They usually had backup from other fanboys. (Kinda like a small tribe)Meh, he needed to hear it probably. As long as no one gets enjoyment from another tears its okay.

Plus did anyone el;se immediately think of Welcome to the NHK when they seen this thread?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • You know, if I ever am annoying to anyone or need to change my behavior, I'd want people to tell me. If they said "You always go on long rambling tangets" or "you cut people off, it's annoying" I'd be a little bummed, but I think I'd feel much better than having this nagging feeling that I am pissing someone off without knowing WHY. The problem is, most fanboys do not have the social skills to read people's body language, so they don't know there is a problem. When you tell them, it kinda comes outta left field and stuns them. You know, I always like when friends tell me of a fault that I have or used to have, like that I used to be aloof and standoffish. Its an expression of trust, I think.
  • Maybe I should be rehabilitated for my Apple fanboyism.
    Then again,........ GET THAT PROB AWAY FROM ME!