This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My family wants me to be a Republican

edited September 2008 in Politics
I'm going to start off by saying that I pay very little attention to politics. I try not to concern myself with things that I'd rather not bother getting into, so I really don't know much about the current election aside from the candidates. For the most part, I'm pretty much clueless. However, if I had to say I leaned anywhere, I'd say that I'm closer to being liberal than conservative.

My entire family is Republican, as far as I can tell. My mom isn't too bad about it- she makes the occasional comments about how she dislikes Barack Obama, but that's about the extent of it. My brother doesn't seem to pay any attention to politics and just agrees with whatever his parents think like a good child. My sister doesn't give a rat's ass, but I'd guess that if she had to vote she'd also just go with whatever the rest of the family chooses. None of them are the problem because none of them bother me about my political affiliations. The problem is my dad.

My dad is a die-hard conservative. He listens to Rush Limbaugh frequently, to the point where he never listens to music when driving anymore, so I don't look forward to driving anywhere with him unless I have my iPod with me. He audibly complains about the Democratic party often, and sometimes he calls me over to his computer so he can impart some wisdom on why liberals are morons. He is convinced that global warming is a conspiracy started by liberals so they can raise taxes. He believes George W. Bush has done no wrong and that Obama will ruin the country and potentially bring about the apocalypse or something silly like that.

I'm not a confrontational person, and I really dislike talking about my personal beliefs- especially in front of my family. I've been a closet atheist for at least three years now simply because I expect my family to react negatively since they're all somewhat religious (though we don't attend church). As such I am unsure about what I should do so my dad will stop bothering me about this. So I suppose I'll turn to the intelligent folk here for some suggestions.

Comments

• It sounds, sadly, like your parents aren't terribly well-informed when it comes to politics. Do a lot of research, and any time they make an ignorant or unfounded political statement, politely note your well-researched, cited, backed-up position.

Either that, or just keep quiet until you get yourself off to college on their dime.
  • Either that, or just keep quiet until you get yourself off to college on their dime.
    If you do this, know you're not the only one.
  • a) Continue to keep quiet.
    b) Attempt quiet and rational discussion.
    c) Confrontations!

Maybe just be like "Look, dad. I really don't care. You don't care about my anime, technology, and video games. I don't care about your political stuff. I really would like it if you didn't bother me about it anymore, unless of course you want to start playing video games."
  • Best solution for family harmony: Ignore politics and religion, especially if they seem belligerent about the subjects. Focus on the other things that you and your family have in common. If you insist, I suggest discussing it with that individual person in private. Sometimes a person will be more reasonable about the strengths and weaknesses of their position if there is no risk of embarrassment in front of others. There's more to the world than heroes and monsters, but some people have a lot of trouble seeing it that way. That's not to say that that sort of personality is all bad, it's essential to some tasks, it just means that bringing up certain subjects around them really won't generate anything helpful. ^_^;
  • My dad is a die-hard conservative. He listens to Rush Limbaugh frequently, to the point where he never listens to music when driving anymore, so I don't look forward to driving anywhere with him unless I have my iPod with me. He audibly complains about the Democratic party often, and sometimes he calls me over to his computer so he can impart some wisdom on why liberals are morons. He is convinced that global warming is a conspiracy started by liberals so they can raise taxes. He believes George W. Bush has done no wrong and that Obama will ruin the country and potentially bring about the apocalypse or something silly like that.
    Your dad sounds exactly like my uncle. The way I deal with it? I don't discuss politics with him. If he goads me, I state my well-informed and researched opinion, and he hits me back with some right-wing talking point. Then, I swallow my pride and let the conversation drop. Move on to another topic. It's the same deal with religion; every time we discuss it, he usually ends up saying something to the effect of, "Oh, that's right, you're going through the 'atheist phase.' You'll figure it out when you grow up."

Doesn't stop me from taking their gifts, though. The way I see it, they give me money in the vain hopes that I'll one day be a Republican and a Christian; I'll just take whatever they give and use it to keep being an educated, well-informed atheist. :p

So, basically, just suck it up. You're not going to change your dad's mind. An incredibly well-worded argument will fall on deaf ears. Just keep the satisfaction of knowing that you're right, and let him spout his nonsense.
  • Maybe just be like "Look, dad. I really don't care. You don't care about my anime, technology, and video games. I don't care about your political stuff. I really would like it if you didn't bother me about it anymore, unless of course you want to start playing video games."
    Scott, that's pretty disrespectful.
  • Maybe just be like "Look, dad. I really don't care. You don't care about my anime, technology, and video games. I don't care about your political stuff. I really would like it if you didn't bother me about it anymore, unless of course you want to start playing video games."
    Scott, that's pretty disrespectful.
    Tact isn't a Scott point, but the basic idea isn't a bad one. :)
  • I agree, it's a good idea, But people often have a habit of taking this literally.
  • Flat out tell him to stop because it makes you feel uncomfortable that he is attempting to force his beliefs down your throat, like what Michael Moore does in his movies and books.
  • You have the right to make up your own mind, just as he does. You should tell him that. Scott's point is also a very good one, but maybe a pinch more tact is required...
  • The fact that your dad listens to drug-addled gas-bag and compulsive liar and hatemonger Rush Limbaugh is a pretty bad indication. He'll not be listening to any fact, and dismiss it as 'liberal claptrap'. I'd let him know that you're not interested in politics and make it a non-issue as best you can until you're not on their dime anymore. Then it's only an issue of weather or not you want to keep in contact.
  • edited September 2008
    just keep quiet until you get yourself off to college on their dime.
    I went with this, and when I got to college well... senior yr of high school I told them that they were retarded. My dad got mad, but he got over it. He now turns to me for advice on tech, medicine, and politics. I turn to him for investments, for he watches the stock market ALL DAY. Your parents aren't gonna be totally wrong about everything (I hope) so eventually you will find a middle ground, but it does take time and aggressive words may be used.
    Maybe just be like "Look, dad. I really don't care. You don't care about my anime, technology, and video games. I don't care about your political stuff. I really would like it if you didn't bother me about it anymore, unless of course you want to start playing video games."
    works also when it comes to aggressive parents and you want them to lay off for a while.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Hold out your hand, look for the one in the center. Stick it up high and proud, and as an added bonus, say",Fuck you Mom and Dad"
  • What about telling your parents they raised you to think for yourself and that this is what you've chosen to think?

You may disagree with them on this and agree with them on other things, but you should still respect them and hope they still respect you.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I probably am going to just stick it out and wait until I move on to college, but if it ever gets to a point where I really need to say something I probably will go with the "I'm not interested in politics right now so if you could not bother me about it that'd be nice" route. And I suppose it wouldn't hurt to read up a bit more on politics...
    Hold out your hand, look for the one in the center. Stick it up high and proud, and as an added bonus, say",Fuck you Mom and Dad"
    Yeah, the thing is that I really do love my parents. I just disagree with them when it comes to things like this. I don't talk about my personal beliefs because I know people will judge my character by them when I just want to make nice, and flipping off my own parents because my beliefs are different from theirs is far from making nice.
  • You're all alone in the voting booth. When you're there, it doesn't matter what your parents want you to be.
  • My dad is pretty conservative, although he pays more attention to Patrick J Buchanan than the likes of Rush Limbaugh. My response has pretty much always been to argue it out with him. Luckily, we're both mature enough to keep it civil and light, but there's nothing inherently wrong with being a Republican. I would recommend just arguing with him about it, but since you're non-confrontational, maybe you don't want that.
  • edited September 2008
    I've been ignorant of politics for all my life. Does anyone have any good links for getting into politics?
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • Does anyone have any good links for getting into politics?
    Listen to NPR's It's All Politics.
  • I've been ignorant of politics for all my life. Does anyone have any good links for getting into politics?
    Pay attention in class.
  • I've been ignorant of politics for all my life. Does anyone have any good links for getting into politics?
    NOW is the best freaking time in your entire life to learn about politics, VOLUNNTEER WITH A CAMPAIGN, be it local or national. The people you meet will be involved and to some extent knowledgable, this will give you an idea of how politics work and you'll get to make phone calls and knock on doors as well :-p You don't even have to be voting age to get involved. Read about how the government works and election law, then BS as much as you can.
  • Pay attention in class.
    Which class?
  • Pay attention in class.
    Which class?
    History, political science, social studies, etc.
  • This really has nothing to do with Republican or Democrat, though this board loves to rip into the Republican party (I'm Republican and even I think they deserve most of the scorn they get.)

People have different opinions. Some accept that other people might have different, equally valid opinions. Others think that no other opinion is valid, and the worst are very vocal about it. You just have to learn to deal with it. There are times and ways to confront people and almost times you just have to leave things alone and bite your tongue.
  • People have different opinions. Some accept that other people might have different, equally valid opinions. Others think that no other opinion is valid, and the worst are very vocal about it.
    What if that opinion is something like "black people are bad." or "Jews are no good?" Do I have to accept that as a valid opinion?
  • It depends on what your definition of a "valid opinion" is.
  • People have different opinions. Some accept that other people might have different, equally valid opinions. Others think that no other opinion is valid, and the worst are very vocal about it.
    What if that opinion is something like "black people are bad." or "Jews are no good?" Do I have to accept that as a valid opinion?
    It depends on how they elaborate. Perhaps if someone said "Jews are no good because I am a hog farmer and they do not support my livelihood."? :P
  • What if that opinion is something like "black people are bad." or "Jews are no good?" Do I have to accept that as a valid opinion?
    That's depends on you.

Inane responses to what an opinion is aside, there are lots of different, but equally good ways to run our government.
  • edited September 2008
    Pay attention in class.
    Which class?
    History, political science, social studies, etc.
    The only class I've had with politics is Civics and that class wasn't very in depth.
    Depends on whose mouth it comes from and if they can give valid reasons. A person's opinion of a group of people has a lot to do with their experiences with members of that group. Imagine being jumped every week by black people and how your opinion of them might change. You might say it won't change, but I assure you it probably will.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • I'm going to start off by saying that I pay very little attention to politics. I try not to concern myself with things that I'd rather not bother getting into, so I really don't know much about the current election aside from the candidates. For the most part, I'm pretty much clueless. However, if I had to say I leaned anywhere, I'd say that I'm closer to being liberal than conservative.
    Why do you not want to concern yourself? Choosing to be ignorant about politics means that you will be uninformed when you vote. To me, choosing to be ignorant is worse that being informed and choosing to be a republican.