This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080917 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Comments

• Good episode, Hitman. I also recommend Sins of the Father from season 3.
  • Okay, I have a Star Trek episode to try. It's an episode of Next Generation in Season 5 called the Inner Light. I won't spoil the story, and I would ask that no one else do it either. You can get it on Netflix by goinghereand selecting the last disc of the season. I personally have it on the Jean-Luc Picard collection, but that's not available through Netflix.
    I would agree with you... that episode was very moving/touching.
  • I don't know if Sins of the Father would work as well if one is not familiar with the story of Worf and Klingons in the Trek universe, but this link would take you to the appropriate page, you want disc 5 there.
  • From a technical/film perspective, what is a better show?

I felt the way you did until I watched the show again. It stands the test of time and even the test of multiple viewings better than the vast majority of anime ever made.
    I prefer Gungrave or Cowboy Bebop.

I've tried to rewatch EVA a couple times and can never get very far before I lose interest. The new, re-editing of EVA that's coming out now, I think those are much better.
  • Scott, you kept repeating a mistake that started annoying me after a while:
    The Sea of Dyrac was early in the series, well before Shinji has to attack the Angel that took over one of the new Eva. The 200% synchronization, which causes him to "vanish" inside his Eva, occurs after that event, during the episode with the scene Rym described about Misato staring down the Angel attacking NERV.
  • The Sea of Dyrac was early in the series, well before Shinji has to attack the Angel that took over one of the new Eva. The 200% synchronization, which causes him to "vanish" inside his Eva, occurs after that event, during the episode with the scene Rym described about Misato staring down the Angel attacking NERV.
    Yeah, you're right. That is one thing about the show that's pretty tough. Near the end of the show they count all the angels. It's hard to believe their were 17. As much as I pay attention I can never remember which was which, in which order, or their names.
  • I always thought the "Sea of Drak" was a misliteration of "Dark."

@Gedavids - I love me some Gungrave, too, but there is no way the story is more meaningful than Eva. I wish it got more love, though, and I'd love to hear Scrym's thoughts on it. To anyone who wants to watch Gungrave, here is my advice: Skip the first episode and pretend it never happened. You'll get to watch the same episode later in the series anyway.
  • I prefer
    From a technical/film perspective, what is a better show?
    *facepalm* I cannot comment on Gungrave, but I too prefer Cowboy Bebop, but I had not noticed everything in Eva that has been discussed in the show. Then again, I've only watched it once.
    You'll get to watch the same episode later in the series anyway.
    What? O.o Please explain that, perhaps in a whisper if it's spoilery.
  • I didn't listen to this podcast past a certain point because its been years since I saw the series and there are parts I don't remember that well.

But you guys better damn well have used the phrase "Immanentize the Eschaton" at least once.
  • @Gedavids - I love me some Gungrave, too, but there is no way the story is more meaningful than Eva. I wish it got more love, though, and I'd love to hear Scrym's thoughts on it. To anyone who wants to watch Gungrave, here is my advice: Skip the first episode and pretend it never happened. You'll get to watch the same episode later in the series anyway.
    More meaningful story? Eva? I found the story of friendship and betrayal of Gungrave much more meaningful to me than the questioning mankind's existance of Eva.

But skip the first episode? I disagree. Confusing as it may be, I rewatched it last night and it's really well put together. So I say watch the first episode, but immediately go onto episode two.
  • Gungrave episode one takes place in the middle of the series, after the main plot twist has been done. I feel that watching episode 1 ruins the show because it gives far too much away. Episode 13 repeats everything in episode 1 and gives very little else; there's no reason to watch it twice.
  • Gungrave episode one takes place in the middle of the series, after the main plot twist has been done. I feel that watching episode 1 ruins the show because it gives far too much away. Episode 13 repeats everything in episode 1 and gives very little else; there's no reason to watch it twice.
    I disagree, I like the setup. Anyway, after the 3rd or 4th episode I had almost completely forgotten the 1st and was totally enthralled. Oh, it's it's eps 17 that repeats episode 1, but it tells a slightly different perspective. Eps 1 being from Mika's perspective, and eps 17 from Brandon's. I liked the contrast and the way it brought you back to how it started.
  • Bravo - with the exception of the EvaMonkey himself, that was an excellent justification behind the qualities and humanity behind Eva.

And gedavids, you know how much I like Gungrave.
    You KNOW.

And maybe you sympathize more with the humanity that threads Brandon to Harry, which you may certainly do more than with anyone in Eva (few of us have ever piloted something that large, but most of us have had friends that have dragged us along bad ideas and paths.) However, what puts Eva up there is its definitive theatrical statement, its take on the HUMANITY'S PSYCHOLOGICAL STRUGGLE - "why do we suffer?"

Eva strove to tell something very true about Humanity on a worldly scale. Gungrave answers "what makes you a friend, what makes you a leader, what makes you a brother," Eva dared to question "what makes us human and how do we deal with ourselves." I give Eva points for its over-the-top budgeting turning into a work of brilliant surfacy robot fighting, and equally strong character study.
  • I think if you really wanna notice the point where the jokes stop coming, just watch for when Pen-Pen stops showing up.
  • I think if you really wanna notice the point where the jokes stop coming, just watch for when Pen-Pen stops showing up.
    Pen Pen actually doesn't show up in the show that much at all. There's also a very un-funny scene where Misato sends Pen Pen away, so that he'll be safe somewhere else.
    Pen Pen actually doesn't show up in the show that much at all. There's also a very un-funny scene where Misato sends Pen Pen away, so that he'll be safe somewhere else.
    Yeah, true.
    GAH, now I'm burning to watch this again, and I just watched it like two months ago.
  • edited September 2008
    Bravo - with the exception of the EvaMonkey himself, that was an excellent justification behind the qualities and humanity behind Eva.

And gedavids, you know how much I like Gungrave.
    You KNOW.

And maybe you sympathize more with the humanity that threads Brandon to Harry, which you may certainly do more than with anyone in Eva (few of us have ever piloted something that large, but most of us have had friends that have dragged us along bad ideas and paths.) However, what puts Eva up there is its definitive theatrical statement, its take on the HUMANITY'S PSYCHOLOGICAL STRUGGLE - "why do we suffer?"

Eva strove to tell something very true about Humanity on a worldly scale. Gungrave answers "what makes you a friend, what makes you a leader, what makes you a brother," Eva dared to question "what makes us human and how do we deal with ourselves." I give Eva points for its over-the-top budgeting turning into a work of brilliant surfacy robot fighting, and equally strong character study.
    Damn you Karl!!! How could you shoot me out of an elevator like that?!?

I still love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...................
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Shit. Now I want to watch Gungrave and Eva again. Damn you all to hell.
  • Then again, proving Eva's intellect and quality is shooting fish in a barrel. Still a very impressive podcast.

Still, I think an interesting challenge would be to prove INITIAL D is the greatest anime ever:

Rym: and then there will be a point where you think the car can't go any faster, but then it does, and it's awesome and it's like "oh man."
    Scott: Yup.
    Rym: And I gotta say, watching that the first time at RIT, I-I cried.
    Scott: uh, I didn't.
  • In what fictional fantasy land is Eva 30 bucks? I'd buy it and give it a chance a second time, but it's NOWHERE for less than 100 bones.
  • 1) Go to Amazon.com
    2) Search for 'Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum'
    3) ????
    4) PROFIT!
  • edited September 2008
    1) Go to Amazon.com
    2) Search for 'Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum'
    3) ????
    4) PROFIT!
    Amazon.de says that Platinum single disc 30€ and it's 8 discs. The cheapest Box set of Evangelion is 126€. At least I'm happy that Panini has decided to release Samurai Champloo in a Box Set for 45€. Big step up after they had decided to release it on 8 DVDs (means most of them only have 3 episodes) for 30€ a disc.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I just listened to this episode today, and it was great! In fact, it inspired to run out and finally pick up the Platinum Collection (despite the fact that I've got work to do) as soon as I could. I'm watching episode two right now, and I have to say that I agree with Scott that this has some great battles; given the organic nature of the Evas and Angels, the battles are incredibly visceral. I've always been confused by the "Eva-haters" out there, but in general I haven't really worried about it (even when it comes from people I respect for their opinions, like the AWO crew). Anyways, now I'm going to get either the beginning or ending theme in my head for the next week or so.
  • Eva is truly at the top of my anime classics list. I try watching one of these titles every couple of years to remind me what true great anime is amongst the mediocre.
    The following in my opinion are true anime classics.
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Edition (5.1 Sounds Fantastic)
    • Cowboy Bebop
    • Trigun
    • Ninja Scroll
    • Akira
  • Ninja Scroll
    Which one does not belong? ROFL.
  • The reason for Ninja Scroll being on my list. It was my first anime DVD in my collection and one of the first anime movies that I saw back in the day. A huge difference from the cookie cutter animation that was being produced in the States at the time. It was a very fluid animation in terms of movement. When I watch this animation I can not help but think of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which came out afterwards.
  • The reason for Ninja Scroll being on my list. It was my first anime DVD in my collection and one of the first anime movies that I saw back in the day. A huge difference from the cookie cutter animation that was being produced in the States at the time. It was a very fluid animation in terms of movement. When I watch this animation I can not help but think of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which came out afterwards.
    Why is it that so many people have a problem separating things that hold personal significance for themselves from things which are universally significant?
  • Awwww, I really liked Ninja Scroll too.
  • Isn't Ninja Scroll the machismo-rite-of-passage anime for guys? I remember whenever I started talking to random guys about anime and what they liked, almost 90% of the time Ninja Scroll was the first thing they mentioned.
  • Thats because Ninja Scroll was one of the first Dubs available in America, along with Akira.