This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080917 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Comments

• Isn't Ninja Scroll the machismo-rite-of-passage anime for guys? I remember whenever I started talking to random guys about anime and what they liked, almost 90% of the time Ninja Scroll was the first thing they mentioned.
    It was popular and widely distributed in the US. It was the introduction to anime, specifically violent and sexual samurai action anime, for many US fans. It has a historical significance for the fandom outside of Japan, but artistically speaking it is not anything to write home about. If any of the other myriad of violent/sexual samurai shows had been widely marketed and distributed as Ninja Scroll was, we would be talking about that show instead.
  • edited September 2008
    I can understand Ninja Scroll being popular or being nostalgic, and the Madhouse animation is pretty high budget.
    I don't know if I'd put it on the ballot for "greatest anime of all time." Not exactly a complex message there. Not high art.
    Isn't Ninja Scroll the machismo-rite-of-passage anime for guys?
    I watched Ninja Scroll because I lost a bet with a guy pal of mine in high school. I had refused to watch it because of the high gore factor, but I was suckered into it anyway.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Yes, I remember watching Ninja Scroll just to see what the hype was all about. I pretty much agree what what you say about it, Apreche.
  • Apreche there was no need to be insulting. You just had to say, "I do not agree with you".
    I did indicate it was my opinion and my anime classics list. I did not indicate my list was universal.
    I tried to explain my personal reasoning for having it on my list. Because it does have a personal significance.
    I don't know how I implied my list was somehow universally significant.
  • edited September 2008
    Apreche there was no need to be insulting. You just had to say, "I do not agree with you".
    I did indicate it was my opinion and my anime classics list. I did not indicate my list was universal.
    I tried to explain my personal reasoning for having it on my list. Because it does have a personal significance.
    Welcome to the FRC forums, and personally I don't think it was an insult at all.

Having that said, I do believe that Ninja scroll should be there, but just because it helped pave the way to more stuff coming our way. One should also add Miyazaki, GITS, FLCL and Lain to the list.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Apreche there was no need to be insulting. You just had to say, "I do not agree with you".
    You see, you're being self-contradictory here. You can't have a personal list of classics. Look up the definition of the word classic. You can have a personal favorites, but not personal classics. If something is a classic then it is a high quality work that exhibits long-lasting quality. Determining what is classic has nothing to do with personal taste.

Also, in this thread we are discussing Neon Genesis Evangelion, one of the greatest anime works ever, and the topic has a tangent discussing what other works are on the same level of quality. If your post serves just to state your personal favorites, it's a complete non-sequitur to the discussion we are having.

Welcome to the forums :)
  • I did start out saying how Eva was at the top of the list of my personal favorites. There I have corrected myself, did not use the word classic.
    I was still indicating the importance of Eva which is relevant to the discussion.
    Ninja Scroll is a classic that stands up to the test of time in regards to 2D animation production quality on the same level as EVA. In regards to story line Eva pretty much out shines Ninja Scroll and almost everything else in anime.
    The only other anime that I can think of that seems to match EVA in terms of intense and gut wrenching story line is Grave of the Fireflies.
  • Oh Christ, let's not turn this into another debate about the meaning of "classics" and their importance or lack thereof.

1. Eva is an important anime, both in regards to the medium itself and the culture around it, and in a broader context. The message of Eva applies well beyond anime fandom, and stands as an important artistic work in human history. Period.

2. Ninja Scroll is also an important anime, but mostly for the medium itself and the culture around it. It pushed forward production quality in animation, served as a gateway anime for a large number of US fans, and helped separate "anime" from "cartoons" in the US.

3. The importance of Eva does not necessarily mean that more modern shows aren't important, but the immediacy of more modern shows does not necessarily make Eva irrelevant either. It is still an important work. That may change some day, but for the time being, it's one of the most important shows out there.

Did I miss anything?
  • TheWhaleShark
    You are indeed wise.
    edited September 2008
    TheWhaleShark
    You are indeed wise.
    Okay, that's it, can you please go back to writing like you did earlier?
    The reason for Ninja Scroll being on my list. It was my first anime DVD in my collection and one of the first anime movies that I saw back in the day. A huge difference from the cookie cutter animation that was being produced in the States at the time. It was a very fluid animation in terms of movement. When I watch this animation I can not help but think of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which came out afterwards.
    Like that, paragraph style please, looks better and doesn't make you look like an idiot when you write 5 words.

EDIT: Also, yes, that is an insult, unlike whatever you considered to be insulting in Scott's post. This be the internet, one would expect another one to have already evolved his thick skin, but apparently some cases have not. Welcome to the internet, and the Front Row Crew Forums ivory tower.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited September 2008
    I've always imagined the Ivory Tower to look like this one:
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • No, it looks like this.
    This is why black is better. That, and zombies, lots of zombies.
  • This is why black is better. That, and zombies, lots of zombies.
    Except that that's a colorless artifact.
  • This is why black is better. That, and zombies, lots of zombies.
    Except that that's a colorless artifact.
    Ah yes true, my MtG knowledge is very limited, but I don't care, it does what black does, take life and it has black in its name anyway, so it's still black. :p
  • edited September 2008
    Actually, Ivory Tower was once popular in black decks, of course only until Necropotence was banned. On the other hand Black Vise's sibling The Rack was reprinted rather recently and saw some play again in discard heavy black decks.

Back on topic: Anybody got an online shop where I can buy a region free box set of Evangelion for a decent price (less than 60€)?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I always preferred to pair it with Library of Leng in a blue/white control deck. If anyone busted out with Black Vise, I could always counter/disenchant it. Having a separate card-drawing mechanism is needed in that scenario, though.
  • Evangelion becomes Money: The Wasting.
  • edited September 2008
    I just want to say thanks to Scrym for getting me to watch this show. I finally finished this sucker, and all I have to say is WOW. Technically it's incredible, as pointed out before, but the way that this is used to convey the message so powerfully is absolutely amazing.

The shows message is great too. I hold many transhumanist ideals and the idea of combining human conciousness is not new to me, but the way Eva explores this idea is excellent. There are other ways of combining the perspectives/minds/souls of people without turinng everyone into goo, but this way was definately more dramatic!

Again I just want to thank your guys for pointing out this work of art that I would have missed otherwise.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • edited November 2008
    I have just finished watching the first DVD of the Platinum Set of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have never watched this series before, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in the thoughts of a first-timer, I can start a new forum post thread but I do not want to if no body has any interest in reading it. Let me know if you would like me to start one. Disc 2 should be here by Monday.
    Post edited by Bobblun on
  • I have just finished watching the first DVD of the Platinum Set of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have never watched this series before, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in the thoughts of a first-timer, I can start a new forum post but I do not want to if no body has any interest in reading it. Let me know if you would like me to start one. Disc 2 should be here by Monday.
    You just made a new forum post. I hope you aren't mistaking posts for threads. As for your question, I have no particular interest or disinterest in your opinion at this point in time.
  • Just post it. If people care they'll read it.
  • Just post it. If people care they'll read it.
    What he means is that he doesn't wish to bother spending his time writing it out if nobody is going to read it.
  • I finished the series (Neon Genesis Evangelion) a while ago and have not had time to write about it, until now. First, if you can afford to purchase it I would recommend doing that, I myself rented it from Netflix which was fine except the fact that you will definitely want to re-watch certain episodes that are not on the current disc, which sucks. Second, it is a great series that I would highly recommend anyone with an open mind to watch. And lastly, when I watched the episode when they reveal who Rei really is my head exploded, everything up to that point made sense, so much so I couldn't watch any more episodes that night and I had to go to bed. That was some powerful stuff.
  • I'm reiterating the request that you do an episode about the Evangelion movies.

I'm currently fascinated with the idea that Seele members are the souls of the Mass Production Evas.
  • I'm reiterating the request that you do an episode about the Evangelion movies.

I'm currently fascinated with the idea that Seele members are the souls of the Mass Production Evas.
    I assume you are talking about the new 1.0, 2.0 movies You Can Not Advance, etc. I plan not to watch any of them until they are all done. One day I'll even read the manga.
  • edited August 2012
    I like the manga. Kaoru and Shinji make out.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Advice on the Rebuild movies:
    1. Skip 1.0; you've seen the show, you already know what happens in the first five episodes. Assume that is the case and if you're confused by things that happen in the subsequent ones, it's because you're supposed to be.
    2. If you buy them, get the 1.11 2.22 etc. editions. They are just higher quality in every way shape and form.
    Seriously? I kinda want to read it now just to see how that is set up and unfolds.
  • Advice on the Rebuild movies:
    1. Skip 1.0; you've seen the show, you already know what happens in the first five episodes. Assume that is the case and if you're confused by things that happen in the subsequent ones, it's because you're supposed to be.
    2. If you buy them, get the 1.11 2.22 etc. editions. They are just higher quality in every way shape and form.
    Seriously? I kinda want to read it now just to see how that is set up and unfolds.
    Wait, there's a 1.0 and a 1.11? Does 1.11 come AFTER 1.0, or is it a replacement for 1.0? How does this shit work?

I think maybe when all is said and done I'll rewatch/read everything that says Evangelion on it that isn't doujinshi.