This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Watch your grammar, guys

RymRym
edited September 2008 in Forum Stuff
Since Mr. Period has been absent, a small number of you have been making increasingly annoying posts. I would hope that you know who you are. This is your warning that forum courts martial will be forthcoming if you continue to annoy me by posting ill-thought-out gibberish and lazy, worthless comments.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    This is your warning that forum courts martial will be forthcoming if you continue to annoy me by posting ill-thought-out gibberish and lazy, worthless comments.
    Is there any provision for having a Captain's Mast first?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Is there any provision for having a Captain's Mast first?
    The "grammar probation" and other scarlet letter banners are the closest to that which we have. ^_~
  • Oh no, the grammar stick hath crushed my soul.

This is fair enough I suppose. I am really lazy about my "because" and "cause." I don't know how I'm going to fix my tendency to forget words though, because I gloss over that in proofreading.

• This is fair enough I suppose. I am really lazy about my "because" and "cause." I don't know how I'm going to fix my tendency to forget words though, because I gloss over that in proofreading.
    Just think about what you're posting and what you're trying to say. Read your post before hitting submit. This is a discussion forum, not Twitter/4chan.
  • edited September 2008
    Yes, we HAVE a twitter here for that!

Or do the same rules apply in Suffice to Say?
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • Well for example, in the thread on MS Office, I completely forgot "going to" in one of my sentences. I meant to type it and I know I proofread it too. My mind just put the missing words in there as if they were on the page.
  • Or do the same rules apply in sufficetosay?
    Suffice To Say is lawless for the time being. Unless we state otherwise, you won't be banned there for posting stupidly: people simply won't subscribe to you.
  • Yes, we HAVE a twitter here for that!

Or do the same rules apply in sufficetosay?
    Suffice to Say is a tool we provide for your use. It is unregulated. Everything is ok there, except for SPAM.
  • Thank you both for the clarification.
  • Suffice To Say is lawless for the time being.
    Ahaa! That'll mean I can undisturbed continue my silly rants about one-hundred-and-forty characters and why it sucks to have so few. And of course why it's thus awesome to get exactly one-hundred-and-forty characters in your post.

Also, I always thought 'forty' was spelled 'fourty', or at least in British, but it's wrong according to my Firefox British dictionary. It's a sad Nine because of that. Fourty complies with the multitude of words that have 'ou' and is thus easier to type with muscle memory...[insert forceful interruption of this rant]
  • edited September 2008
    Since Mr. Period has been absent, a small number of you have been making increasingly annoying posts. I would hope that you know who you are. This is your warning that forum courts martial will be forthcoming if you continue to annoy me by posting ill-thought-out gibberish and lazy, worthless comments.
    Took you long enough to do something about it...

I'm still up for court martial-ing Morio-Kun.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • @ Rym
    The moderators will be lenient with non-native English speakers, right?
  • edited September 2008
    The moderators will be lenient with non-native English speakers, right?
    It has been stated that most of the non-native English speakers here have better grammar than those who are native English speakers, as ironic as it sounds.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The moderators will be lenient with non-native English speakers, right?
    Grammatically, I hope so. For basic spelling (capitalization, punctuation), I hope not.
  • We also try to be more careful and usually read our posts twice before adding them because we are posting in a different language.
  • Clue me in...who are the non-native English speakers?
  • I speak Spanish as a native language.
  • I speak Kannada as a native language but I have lived in the US for half my life (8 years.)
    So, I'd like to think that my English is just as good, if not better, as my native language. ^^
  • I speak Kannada as a native language
    Kannada? Never heard of that, where's that from? Also, if you still don't know that I'm non-native in English, I will be forced to hit you on the head Dkong.
  • Isn't Kannada the source of the weird character in the, ಠ_ಠ face?
  • edited September 2008
    Kannada is a South Indian language that is spoken by people from Karnataka, India.
    If Karnataka isn't familiar, you may have heard of Bangalore, which is the capital.

Edit: Yes! ಠ is a Kannada letter. This is the first time I have seen that face.
    Post edited by Meru on
  • TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • edited September 2008
    My native language is Russian. However, by the time I was old enough for school, my family had moved to Australia. Consequently, my English is far better than my Russian.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Shouldn't there be a period at the end of this thread's subject line?
  • Kannada is a South Indian language that is spoken by people from Karnataka, India.
    If Karnataka isn't familiar, you may have heard of Bangalore, which is the capital.

And here I thought Kannada was a funny way of identifying Canadian English. XD
  • Kannada is a South Indian language that is spoken by people from Karnataka, India.

Never heard of Karnataka or Bangalore. India was never a topic during history or geography class. Hence I did not know India was divided into states where some also have their own language. Also, that letter screws up the line-height. D:
    Spanish is my first language.
    If you can't tell who they are, they're doing fine.