This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080925 - Snow Crash

edited September 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we finally head back to the book club with our review of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. Our next book choice is Ursula K. LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea. In the news, Henry Earl is awesome and doctors are not empathetic.

Scott's Thing - Freestyle Battle Translated
Rym's Thing - Crazy Radio DJ

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Damn it, now I have to listen to the book.
    The diplomates are probably really happy because everything is so cheap here compared to there country. Since our economy is 'fucked the fucked' up.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited September 2008
    Damn it, now I have to listen to the book.
    The diplomates are probably really happy becuase every is so cheap here compared to there country. Since our economy is 'fucked the fucked' up.
    Please, please, please read what you typed before you post it.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • Scott's Thing -Freestyle Battle Translated
    Oh mans, that made cry from laughter. XD
  • Damn it, now I have to listen to the book.
    The diplomates are probably really happy becuase every is so cheap here compared to there country. Since our economy is 'fucked the fucked' up.
    Please, please,pleaseread what you typed before you post it.
    Opps, a mistake, what's all the big problem.
  • Damn it, now I have to listen to the book.
    Please, please,pleaseread what you typed before you post it.
    Opps, a mistake, what's all the big problem.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • You guys need to do a book club on Neuromancer sometime soon.
  • edited September 2008
    Scott's Thing -Freestyle Battle Translated
    After seeing this, I watched the actual rap battle. The first guy spits some pretty great rhymes. The second guy sucked.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Reminds me of the old saying in the hood.

"Don't bring a rhyme to a fist fight"
  • The first guy spits some pretty great rhymes. The second guy sucked.
    The first guy did have better rhymes than the second guy, but they both sucked overall. I'm disappointed that the translation didn't actually match the rhymes completely. The translation even used the names Hydrogen and Boost, which weren't even right. I think it's much funner if you watch the translation and never watch the real deal.
  • I think it's much funner if you watch the translation and never watch the real deal.
    Damn you Apple for corrupting the English language!
  • The first guy did have better rhymes than the second guy, but they both sucked overall. I'm disappointed that the translation didn't actually match the rhymes completely. The translation even used the names Hydrogen and Boost, which weren't even right. I think it's much funner if you watch the translation and never watch the real deal.
    I thought the "turn your dome to a stadium" bit was pretty clever.
  • edited September 2008
    Hey, guys, just listening to the show now.

I just wanted to add, I always found the awkwardness of the sex scene to be too pronounced to be accidental. I've always considered that as it was YT's story, yes, it was written with that sense of awkward inexperience. That discomfort you feel reading it, that it just isn't flowing, isn't well written... well, isn't that an entirely suitable story telling device to make you empathise with YT?

I don't know Neal so I can't say whether he could have written it better back in '92 but let's say he did. Imagine he wrote the most intimate, erotic, arousing and engrossing sex scene you can imagine. How entirely inappropriate is that imagined scene to the narrative?

Just some food for thought.

Addendum: 5 = V. Da5id = DaVid. I'm surprised you guys don't interpret that the same way I do.
    Post edited by wryterra on
  • Addendum: 5 = V. Da5id = DaVid. I'm surprised you guys don't interpret that the same way I do.
    What the, in what bastardized version of leet is that the case? 5 represents 's' last time I checked. I personally just try to read it as 'Da-five-id' though I always fall over the fact that it's supposed to be David and that it's a bloody 5 in there.
  • edited September 2008
    What the, in what bastardized version of leet is that the case?
    In no version of leet, there are other ways of assigning meaning to things. :)

I, II, III, IV, V

V is the numeral for 5.
    edited September 2008
    there are other ways of assigning meaning to things. :)

I, II, III, IV, V

V is the Roman numeral for 5.
    *facepalm* Don't be so condescending. You could've just pointed out that you used the Roman numeral system. But thanks for that idea though, I might be able and read faster over the character's name.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited September 2008
    *facepalm* Don't be so condescending. You could've just pointed out that you used the Roman numeral system.
    I thought I did. I wasn't trying to be condescending, that's why I ended the sentence with a smiley.

Sorry it didn't come across and thank you for the entirely non-condescending editing of my original post in your citation.
  • Da5id = DaVid
    I listened to the audiobook version, and it was simply pronounced as "David".
  • IMO Romania is an awful place to live.
  • I just pronounce it "Da-Sid". It doesn't sound right, but I don't care.
  • edited September 2008
    I went and looked at Henry Earl's mugshots...Turns out that he was arrested AGAIN, 3 days before the release of this podcast.

I admire this man.

EDIT: Just realized that this has to be the "1000 days" arrest. I think we need some "Free Henry Earl" t-shirts.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I just finished The Darkens That Comes Before.
    so... has anyone read both the Wizard and the Crash? which one is better?
  • Nice review of Snowcrash. I generally agree with everything you said there, with one small quibble. I think the Raven/YT scene was supposed to be a seduction and, well, I don't blame the writer for never having seduced anyone before. Also, erm, at the time I thought that that thing that Raven did to get YT to move closer to him was really hot. I ended up trying that myself later and it worked pretty well, so I sort of have to give him props there.
  • I have a podcast where I review every science fiction novel that I read. As Snow Crash is a science fiction novel it became the subject for episode 29, and if you can listen here: SFBRP #029 - Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash.mp3

I discuss the book in detail without spoilers, or at least with only minor spoilers, so even if you've not read the book you can get a good idea of what it is like. To be clear; I review this novel from the point of view of a long time science fiction novel reading enthusiast, not as any kind of computer geek or aspiring hacker. Which means that I was less than enthusiastic about much of it. Actually, that might be an understatement. Various rants made this episode the longest one I've recorded so far.

If you like it, check out the Science Fiction Book Review Podcast at sfbrp.com/.