This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Official Friday Night Party Line Thread.

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Instead of doing a new thread every time we do a show with Rym & Scott, I'm just going to bump this thread.

We did show #35 last night and while it is not for the intellectually timid (mostly economics and physics), I really enjoyed it.

Timo the Physicist was our special guest! David, Scott, Rym and Thaed round out the cast.

Here are the topics:

Ask the Economist: new ideas on alternative currencies
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/23/what-went-wrong.html

Update on the Large Hadron Collider from someone who knows.

Should the government fund pure science?

Is the Black Swan concept important to theoretical modeling?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludic_fallacy

Subscribe via iTunes.

Email Thaed at thaed@cox.net
Follow Thaed on Twitter.

Comments

• Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah~ *does the banana gif dance*

Here's the download link for the lazy among the listeners: Friday Night Party Line 35.
  • Is it just me, or is there something strange with the audio quality of the episode?
    edited September 2008
    Is it just me, or is there something strange with the audio quality of the episode?
    You mean the echoing that they continuously mention? Skype's fault.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I actually only got about five minutes into it before I stopped. Though it does suck that Skype was doing that, guess I'll suffer through it then.
  • The echoing was due to an epic fail in setting up the skype call. At some point I start using the mute button which alleviated the problem somewhat, and about halfway through the show we get around to fixing the call setup.
  • Yeah, Skype'll do that.
    Anyway, cheers on the FPNL thread. I hope that in two years it'll still be around so that I can join in like all the rest of you awesome people who get on the show.
  • The echoing was due to an epic fail in setting up the skype call. At some point I start using the mute button which alleviated the problem somewhat, and about halfway through the show we get around to fixing the call setup.
    Which led to some good material for the outtakes. :-)
  • edited September 2008
    Which led to some good material for the outtakes. :-)
    Man, talk about brain farts. I was using a fairly decent microphone & headphones and was using a gate and compressor to make my sound as clean as possible. So I was going like "this just can't be a hardware problem, it has to be skype"... but it still took me some twenty minutes to notice the call hosting weirdness.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Which led to some good material for the outtakes. :-)
    Man, talk about brain farts. I was using a fairly decent microphone & headphones and was using a gate and compressor to make my sound as clean as possible. So I was going like "this just can't be a hardware problem, it has to be skype"... but it still took me some twenty minutes to notice the call hosting weirdness.
    Hey! You've been in our forums since June, and you didn't say anything. What gives?
  • Hey! You've been in our forums since June '07, and you didn't say anything. What gives?
    This happens often. I think a new person has joined the forums, and then I discover they've been a member for a long time, they just didn't say a word. What gives people? Are we that scary?
  • Are we that scary?
    You are.. :p
  • Which led to some good material for the outtakes. :-)
    Hey! You've been in our forums since June, and you didn't say anything. What gives?
    That would be June of 2007?! This is exactly the point of the "Hey You" thread. Timo is a super genius, but he's been essentially lurking for over a year. :-)
  • Well he at least signed up. He did better than most.
  • Are we that scary?
    You are.. :p
    I was talking about us as a whole. Someone around here balances me out, no?
  • I was talking about us as a whole. Someone around here balances me out, no?
    How can one balance you out? *ponders*
  • I was talking about us as a whole. Someone around here balances me out, no?
    How can one balance you out? *ponders*
    Are you lopsided?
  • edited September 2008
    Heh. Well, I didn't mention it on the show because it didn't come up. Also with the LHC thread, I thought you might have noticed ;).

As for not posting a lot, I mostly only post when I think I have something substantive to contribute (e.g. the LHC thread), I also wrote you an email some time (~a year) ago about the situation of comics in Finland (how Donald Duck is the shit over here).
  • Finland (how Donald Duck is the shit over here)
    I can attest to this. I'm still not sure why he is, though. Care to illuminate our minds, Timo?
  • [C]omics in Finland (how Donald Duck is the shit over here).
    Donald Duck is also thoroughly enjoyed over here. Personally I enjoy the Uncle Scrooge comics more.
  • Donald Duck is also thoroughly enjoyed over here. Personally I enjoy the Uncle Scrooge comics more.
    We're reviewing The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck very soon. Disney Ducks are boss.
  • Hey Thaed, how about you go and make you own forum and stopping leeching off ours.
  • Hey Thaed, how about you go and make you own forum and stopping leeching off ours.
    Hey, shut up.
    edited September 2008
    Hey Thaed, how about you go and make you own forum and stopping leeching off ours.
    You do not own any part of these forums, thus you cannot claim 'ours'. So STFU and GTFO since I think the majority of forum members enjoy getting their very own updates concerning Friday Night Party Line.
    We're reviewing The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck very soon. Disney Ducks are boss.
    Nice.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Sarcasm obviously doesn't carry over the net.
  • Sarcasm obviously doesn't carry over the net.
    Well, yeah. Maybe you shouldn't use it anymore?
  • Donald Duck is also thoroughly enjoyed over here. Personally I enjoy the Uncle Scrooge comics more.
    YES! You just made me happy!
  • I haven't done this yet? Weird.

Your podcast fucking rocks Thaed, but it makes me feel stupid. ;)
  • edited September 2008
    I can attest to this. I'm still not sure why he is, though. Care to illuminate our minds, Timo?
    This explains quite a lot. To put it in perspective, this is a comic magazine with a circulation 75% that of the biggest newspaper here in Finland. Per capita, Aku Ankka is the best selling comic book magazine anywhere (I'll gladly hear evidence to the contrary) and it is damn close to being the best selling anything.

I think the most important factors were that it was the first full color weekly comic and that the language they applied was and still is extremely good. Oh yeah, also the fact that they used a lot of Barks' stories. When Aku Ankka was launched it was also heavily promoted by people selling subscriptions for the aforementioned largest newspaper.
    Awesome, I hope you are aware of "The Pertwillaby Papers" which deserve at least a mention in a show about Rosa's work.
  • I like the show! Thanks to Rym and Scott being guests on it several times, I plan on subscribing to Party Line now!