This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planning to stay in NY from June 23rd to July 23rd

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
On the first of April my Zivildienst ends and I wont attend University until September. I guessed I would travel around a bit and for one visit the USA.

I wanted to ask where I should go and what I should see there. I would probably stay with a friend of my aunt who lives in Manhattan. So far I'm only certain of attending next year's Otakon.

Update: Okay, some more info
I'm planning to be in NY from June 23rd to July 23rd, I'll most likely stay with a friend of my aunt, who lives in Manhattan.
I have a Visa and gave myself a budget of 1500-2000 Euros. I plan to go sightseeing and attend Otakon (btw is there any way I could share rooms with the FRC? I don't know/trust anybody else who would or could stay at a hotel with me).
I'll turn 20 right in the middle of my trip, so no alcohol.
I planned to do this trip for a longish time now and currently have the money and time to do so.

Nothing beside Otakon is set in stone right now, if you know anything, which would merit changing the date, please tell me.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    EDIT: Post made moot with logical thought.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'd highly recommend San Francisco and Seattle. On the other hand I wouldn't recommend on going to Florida or Texas.
  • I would suggest coming here to my house, and giving me your plane ticket for the return flight. Then I can escape to Europe. We'll both get free flights home when we get deported. It will be all good.
  • For how long are you staying in US? You're already going to the place I was gonna recommend, NY! There is so much stuff to do in NY, probably you can waste all your time going to museums if you like that sort of thing.
  • It also depends on how much money you have along with time. If you have a spare week and around a thousand dollars, I would suggest going to Walt Disney World. If you don't you should go to New York City and/or Washington D.C. Washington has a lot of free museums and there is also a Spy Museum and the Newseum, both of which are worth the price of admission.
  • I would suggest coming here to my house, and giving me your plane ticket for the return flight. Then I can escape to Europe. We'll both get free flights home when we get deported. It will be all good.
    I see Scott's trying to fulfill his plan of passing through ever longitude. :P
  • I recommend Washington DC or New York. If you stay here just during the time the economy collapse it would be a great story to tell your grand kids. If we live long enough to have grand kids :P
  • Could you recommend any specific places/events/things to see, which wouldn't show up in a common travel guide?

@Apreche: We could actually try that, it's just that sometime in the future I'd like to spend a decent amount of my life in the USA (Sweden and Norway are too cold and I don't speak any Asian language) and I'm pretty sure such a thing could interfere.
  • If you have the opportunity, go through Colorado.
  • edited September 2008
    For the first trip, I suggest staying on the East Coast. There's no need to waste a lot of time on planes, and there's plenty to see. Just off the top of my head (I'll make a more coherent post when I'm not just on the forum to procrastinate), I'd recommend:
    -Museums in ANY city you go to.
    -Camping in the Poconos (Lake Wallenpaupack is the largest man made lake in the world) or in Appalachia
    -At least one Broadway show

EDIT: Just read the original post. Are you staying for a year? If so, you may want to ignore that first bit of advice...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Hit up Chicago. I'm kind of biased, but you have to see the skyline at LEAST once.
  • If you're staying in Manhattan, go see everything. Museums are especially awesome.
  • A lot of it depends on how much time and ability to travel / money you have. Obviously going to San Francisco or a lot of other places in the US would be great, but it might just not be possible. You can probably have a damn good experience staying on the East Coast, especially in New York and visiting DC and similar areas. Another important question to keep in mind is whether you'll be living here or coming as a tourist. If you're living here a lot of your time will probably be taking up with socializing and experiencing daily life, but if you come as a tourist, you should go around to all the museums and stuff.
    Hit up Chicago. I'm kind of biased, but you have to see the skyline at LEAST once.
    Hey, just moved to Chicago for college, any recommendations?
  • The museums in DC are really good too. There's some pretty good venues like the Red and Black or Black Cat if you wanna catch a show. Then there's all the historical stuff. If you hit up Chinatown then head to Tony Chens. The Mongolian food there is kick arse.
  • edited September 2008
    See a baseball or American football game. It doesn't matter where.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Depending on how long you want to stay, you should probably go to DC or NYC. DC, unsurprisingly, has a lot of monuments, cool architecture, the Smithsonian museums, and, of course, America's capital buildings. NYC has a lot of interesting landmarks, and I could spend weeks on end just going to museums in that area.
  • Hit up Chicago. I'm kind of biased, but you have to see the skyline at LEAST once.
    Chicago is the only thing worth seeing in flyover country. Take a walk up Michigan Avenue and don't leave until you've had a pizza. Pizza is definitely one area in which Chicago kicks NYC's ass.
    Chicago is the only thing worth seeing in flyover country. Take a walk up Michigan Avenue and don't leave until you've had a pizza. Pizza is definitely one area in which Chicago kicks NYC's ass.
    Get the hell off my Internets. There's no pizza in Chicago.
  • Get the hell off my Internets. There's no pizza in Chicago.
    Chicago IS pizza. You have some kind of doughy confection in NYC that you call pizza, but it tastes kind of like Chef Boy-Ar-Dee raked off his some of his leftovers onto a piece of greasy cardboard.
  • edited September 2008
    In order to give recommendations we need to know your travel restrictions. Will you be restricted to a coast or region? Obviously you will be in Baltimore region, which is accessible to the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. Would you like to say within those regions or can you afford to fly to the West Coast, the South, etc?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • While you are in Baltimore, you should at least check out Geppi's Entertainment Museum and the Maryland Science Center. If you have more time you should also squeeze in the National Aquarium in Baltimore.
  • See a baseball or American football game. It doesn't matter where.
    That's going to be pretty difficult. Baseball is entering the playoffs, so it will be impossible to get tickets. NFL tickets are always impossible to get. Your best bet is to get tickets to an NHL game, but they have hockey in Europe, so that's sort of a waste.
  • Roadtrip! Do a grand loop over the course of a month. Find a car rental company that doesn't charge mileage and go for a drive. Make friends along the way. Outside the big cities, Americans are some of the friendliest people you will meet anywhere (especially in the south). These are a few of my personal favorites. Gas prices right now are pretty comparable to Europe, with accomodations being less, except on the east or west coast where they are roughly the same. In the time frame you are talking about you should be able to get tickets to a baseball game in almost any city that has a team.

NY, DC, Atlanta GA, Memphis TN (Graceland), Branson, MO (worlds largest ball of twine), New Orleans LA (Voodoo Museum), San Antonio TX (the Alamo), Barringer Crater AZ, Grand Canyon, Phoenix AZ(Cardinals tickets are easy to get), Las Vegas, NV, Hoover Dam, Death Valley CA, San Diego CA, Los Angeles CA (Getty Museum), Big Sur CA, San Francisco, CA, Seattle WA, Mount Rushmore, Chicago IL, Cleveland, OH (Rock&Roll HOF), Philidelphia PA (Liberty Bell) then wind up in NYC again.
  • Americans are some of the friendliest people you will meet anywhere (especially in the south).
    . . . unless you look, act, or sound different in any way from the good ole boys. Seriously. Don't go to the South. Fuck the South.

I'm not joking. Don't.
    Chicago IS pizza. You have some kind of doughy confection in NYC that youcallpizza, but it tastes kind of like Chef Boy-Ar-Dee raked off his some of his leftovers onto a piece of greasy cardboard.
    If your pizza is doughy, you're doing it wrong. It should crispy. The crust should be nearly non-existent.
    Chicago IS pizza. You have some kind of doughy confection in NYC that youcallpizza, but it tastes kind of like Chef Boy-Ar-Dee raked off his some of his leftovers onto a piece of greasy cardboard.
    If your pizza is doughy, you're doing it wrong. It should crispy. The crust should be nearly non-existent.
    Silly rabbit, a good crust is essential for the foundation of a good pizza, because it needs to support many layers of toppings and maybe even a secound crust.

If the crust is "barely there", you might as well heat up a pepperoni stick in the microwave and eat it like a Slim Jim.
  • . . . unless you look, act, or sound different in any way from the good ole boys. Seriously. Don't go to the South. Fuck the South.

I'm not joking. Don't.
    What parts of the South have you actually been to? Being out in the country can be like that, but the major cities are, for the most part, okay. There's a good mix of generally friendly people.
  • edited September 2008
    What parts of the South have you actually been to?
    I lived in rural areas outside Nashville and Memhis. I've also lived in various places in Kentucky if that counts as The South for you. I've been to Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia too many times. No one I met there could be described as "nice" in any way.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • They were probably just mean to you what with Cortez coming around last month and all.
  • edited September 2008
    What parts of the South have you actually been to?
    I lived in rural areas outside Nashville and Memhis. I've also lived in various places in Kentucky if that counts as The South for you. I've been to Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia too many times. No one I met there could be described as "nice" in any way.
    Zip up, your undue bias is hanging out.
    Roadtrip! Do a grand loop over the course of a month. Find a car rental company that doesn't charge mileage and go for a drive. Make friends along the way. Outside the big cities, Americans are some of the friendliest people you will meet anywhere (especially in the south). These are a few of my personal favorites. Gas prices right now are pretty comparable to Europe, with accomodations being less, except on the east or west coast where they are roughly the same. In the time frame you are talking about you should be able to get tickets to a baseball game in almost any city that has a team.
    I concur. As far as the southeast is concerned, you are required by law to visit the "Big Three," Charleston in South Carolina and Atlanta and Savanna in Georgia. Lots of history and wonderful sights to see.

Edit: Athens, GA might interest you too if you are into small-town bohemian atmospheres, but I wouldn't go out of my way.
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on