This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The one thing Bandai did right!

edited September 2008 in Anime
This is probably old news for a lot of you but for people who thought Gurren Lagann was awesome Bandai has put out a release of the show on DVD subbed! Gurren Lagann The price is a bit high but this is one of the better releases of anime I have seen, and I was able to find it at Best Buy which is shocking within itself.

Comments

edited September 2008
    The price is a bit high
    $19.99
    Length 225 minutes
    That's 20 bucks for 9 episodes, how is that high? That adds up to 60 bucks total for all 3 discs/27 episodes, seriously, is that still to high of a price for America?

EDIT: And yes, it's been long known that 3 subbed Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann DVDs were going to be put out this summer+fall. And later followed by dubbed DVDs for those who want dubs.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Well, $20 for 9 episodes is good. $60 for 27 isn't that good, though, considering box sets are typically a lot cheaper. I got all 50 eps of Macross for $50, all of Eva for $40, Escaflowne for $30, Bebop for $25...etc.
  • Well, $20 for 9 episodes is good. $60 for 27 isn't that good, though, considering box sets are typically a lot cheaper. I got all 50 eps of Macross for $50, all of Eva for $40, Escaflowne for $30, Bebop for $25...etc.
    Notice how all of those shows are -old-. It's very impressive that a new release like Gurren Lagann would have a box-set that is so inexpensive.
  • 60 bucks total for all 3 discs
    That is 6 dvds for 10 bucks. Each volume comes with 2 dvds. The quality is a lot better than the Astroboy 2003 (52 ep in 5 dvds). Sony you do not put 10 eps. in one dvd and strip its original language. It kills the series :(
  • I remember paying >$200 for the Macross box from AnimEigo and the original Eva box for $120, so I would say this isn't bad on that basis. For me, it's not strictly a dollars-to-minutes value judgment though.
  • Notice how all of those shows are -old-. It's very impressive that a new release like Gurren Lagann would have a box-set that is so inexpensive.
    Here's the fundamental problem with the anime industry. Gurren Lagann may well be new, but it still has to compete with all of the other good shows that came out a long time ago, shows which are much, much cheaper. Being "new" is less and less a justification for a higher price.
  • Notice how all of those shows are -old-. It's very impressive that a new release like Gurren Lagann would have a box-set that is so inexpensive.
    Here's the fundamental problem with the anime industry. Gurren Lagann may well be new, but it still has to compete with all of the other good shows that came out a long time ago, shows which are much, much cheaper. Being "new" is less and less a justification for a higher price.
    That's a problem the entire media industry has, not only anime. New films also are 'expensive' and also have to stand up to classics. The same goes for music, the latest punk-crap CD costs more than a random CD from Queen. The only problem anime has is that the prices are (sometimes) ridiculous.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2008
    New films also are 'expensive' and also have to stand up to classics.
    And new films are increasingly seeing lower initial sales and higher long-tail discount sales or rentals. The culture of buying DVDs to see movies as they come out is fading fast.
    The same goes for music, the latest punk-crap CD costs more than a random CD from Queen.
    And the latest CDs hardly sell at all.

If a show has no immediacy, then there's no reason not to wait until it hits the discount bin. That's especially true of anime, where the majority of fans have seen a very small percentage of even the "good" shows. I have no desire to purchase Gurren Lagann any time soon mostly because I have a few dozen shows ahead of it in my queue.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • And new films are increasingly seeing lower initial sales and higher long-tail discount sales or rentals.
    And the latest CDs hardly sell at all.
    Yup, just like with anime. It's a 'problem' of the times. On-demand and file-sharing/piracy are much easier and more popular ways of obtaining media.
    If a show has no immediacy, then they're no reason not to wait until it hits the discount bin.
    Shouldn't this be "..., then there's no reason..."? Or is that sentence grammatically correct and just wonky-looking to me?
  • Shouldn't this be "..., then there's no reason..."? Or is that sentence grammatically correct and just wonky-looking to me?
    No, you're right, I just posted in haste. ^_~
    Then again there are a lot of people that do not care about "old"shows. On my first anime club meeting I took Super Dimensional Fortress Macross so people could vote for it but no once someone said the world "old" it got zero votes. In the other hand this stayed

Nadia was taken out, at least I was able to convince enough people to watch Phoenix.

And no one cared about New Getter Robot.

It really does not matter if it is new or old. What matter is if the show is good. Gurren Lagaan is good but not as good as Macross. And yet many new anime followers have heard a lot more of Gurren Lagaan than Macross, or Yamato, or even Astro Boy. And that makes me sad and angry at this new anime genration.
  • On my first anime club meeting I took Super Dimensional Fortress Macross so people could vote for it but no once someone said the world "old" it got zero votes.
    Your problem is letting people vote. The best anime clubs show by fiat, exposing people to lots of anime.
  • On my first anime club meeting I took Super Dimensional Fortress Macross so people could vote for it but no once someone said the world "old" it got zero votes.
    Your problem is letting people vote. The best anime clubs show by fiat, exposing people to lots of anime.
    Yeah that is true but then again, last year people did not vote and they only had 5 members :O
  • Why not mix the schedule up a bit, and get people in for shows like Zero no Tsukima, while showing some of the older stuff as well?
  • Your problem is letting people vote. The best anime clubs show by fiat, exposing people to lots of anime
    When I was forced to step down as Supreme Dictator of my school's anime club, the members demanded democracy because they didn't like who I had named as my successor. I have no idea how the elections turned out, but if the person I named won I know that they will continue using this method of programming. I fear the worst if he lost.
  • I'm currently co-president of the school Anime Club (~10 people) with a friend of mine. He's obsessed with democracy to prevent the rest of the club from getting angry if we show "bad" shows. I am doing my level best to turn him from this path, but I lack the firepower to adequately convince him of the benefits of autocracy.
  • When I was forced to step down as Supreme Dictator of my school's anime club, the members demanded democracy because they didn't like who I had named as my successor. I have no idea how the elections turned out, but if the person I named won I know that they will continue using this method of programming. I fear the worst if he lost.
    You're supposed to use democracy to elect the club leadership. At the very least, you have a rigged democracy, so that people think it's fair. However, once someone, or some group, is elected, they should be dictators.
  • edited September 2008
    Actually, the one thing that Bandai did right was actually have some cute girls at their booth at the New York Anime Festival. M I RITE?? M I RITE??

Ahem... so anyway umm.... PICTURES!

Well, at least they're Gurren Lagann characters, so this post sort of stays on topic.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on