This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battle Royale

edited September 2008 in Movies
I've rewatched this movie every six months or so since discovering it a few years ago. It's one of the very few pieces of media that I reconsume like this. It's a multilayered story with great characters and holds up as one of my favorite movies.

As big a fan of this movie I am, I must admit I've never read the novel or manga and I've avoided watching the sequal. Which of these should I check out?

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I loved the original one and heard the sequel sucked, so I've steered clear of that one, that's all I can say.

Also, watch or read Lord of the Flies.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Also, read Lord of the Flies.
  • The novel is very good, adds some depth to the characters by going into their pre-Royal lives. This really helps explain their motives for how they react in the situation, something I feel the film really didn't cover at all beyond the main character.
  • The sequel movie sucks balls. Definitely don't waste your time on it. The novel is good so far...I'm only around 80 pages into it, though.
  • Oh, I concur. The book is best, but I think the movie and manga portray the story well. And the sequel isn't worth bothering with.
  • The sequel movie sucks balls. Definitely don't waste your time on it. The novel is good so far...I'm only around 80 pages into it, though.
    The AK-47 is the most glorious weapon ever known to children.
  • Oh my god the book is disturbing. I actually had to put the book down for a few days when I read it due to the extreme detail of the violence, but I loved it all the same. The movie is good, but as was stated above, the book was much better.
  • I have the book, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I decided to go with the Prince of Nothing series first (and that was the right decision). And like everyone else, I concur that the sequel movie was horrible. It had no real point and basically tried to turn the story into an action movie, which just doesn't properly portray what Battle Royale is really about.
  • I love this movie and show it to everyone who hasn't seen it that I know. Yes, the sequel is sucky. It does have maybe one or two good scenes. I want the book badly. It has so much back story I am missing!
  • I loved the book, but my Grade 9 English teacher probably thought I was insane when I did my report on it. Was there ever a sequel written?
  • I have only read the book, and I like it a lot, although it's very oddly written at times. It has a very odd tone; things are phrased differently from the way an American author would phrase them, in a very subtle way. I assume most of that has to do with translation? I should probably watch the movie sometime, it's a good story and Kinji Fukasaku is really good.
  • I have only read the book, and I like it a lot, although it's very oddly written at times. It has a very odd tone; things are phrased differently from the way an American author would phrase them, in a very subtle way. I assume most of that has to do with translation? I should probably watch the movie sometime, it's a good story and Kinji Fukasaku is really good.
    I know what you mean about the wording. I just assumed it was a translation thing.
  • Battle Royale was fun, but not mind blowing - in my opinion.
  • Battle Royale movie was ok, but it's not some epic thing to re-watch all the time. The sequel movie sucked balls, but you can get a lot of ironic entertainment out of it. I remember specifically the scene with the gym teacher near the end. I plan to read the book someday, but I have other things ahead of it in the queue. People say the manga is ok, but I have no interest.
  • I fell in love with this movie, and I'm irked that I only discovered it last year. Like Scott and Knoxinator, the book is in my queue.