This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080929 - Cloud Computing

edited September 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we explore all things related to cloud computing. In the news, Apple iPhone NDA sucks even more, and the T-Mobile G1 isn't perfect either.

Scott's Thing - Solenoid Symphony
Rym's Thing - Model T Rice

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Yeah, the app store and the iPhone are not perfect, but Apple will hopefully iron out the HUGE creases soon. I do find it frustrating as well, being the Apple Fan boy of FRCF, I just have to assume that Apple has some reason. Trust me, the Apple fan/fan boy community is not happy as well.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Post about toast! G'ah! Host? Toast! Idiot!

Sorry. I'll get back to the podcast now.
  • edited September 2008
    I'll bet you plenty of these censored people will just go ahead and say they got cock blocked, I mean it's an Ex-application after all. It is no more, it's not going to be on any IPod ever, it's ceased to be, it's canceled. It is the Toonami of IPhone applications...oh, too soon?
    Yeah, the app store and the iPhone are not perfect, but Apple will hopefully iron out the HUGE creases soon.
    The same way Nintendo has ironed out the HUGE problem in offering downloadable Games for it's fun machine with only around 400 or so MB to play with?
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Yeah, the app store and the iPhone are not perfect, but Apple will hopefully iron out the HUGE creases soon.
    It's not a crease. A crease would be simply blocking a good app. A crease is not systematically using your legal department to cover up said crease. What you call that is money grubbing and evil. No one can defend Apple for their stance on the NDAs.
  • Defense will be attempted, but will be an utter failure. The easiest way to check if the defense is a fanboy-defense would be to ask "If MS did this, wouldn't you be yelling about it?".
  • Post about toast! G'ah! Host? Toast! Idiot!
    Rhymes with post...bread related...Toast! TOAST! I almost yelled this when I was listening. OMG Duh, Rymski.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2008
    Rhymes with post...bread related...Toast! TOAST! I almost yelled this when I was listening. OMG Duh, Rymski.
    Post about toast! G'ah! Host? Toast! Idiot!
    I learned a lot from Andy Kaufman and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Allow me to explain my comedy genius:

Action: Make simple bread-related rhyming joke.
    Result: Groans (standard comedy level one)

Action: Keep running with it, but skip the next obvious joke.
    Result: You all are agitated, yelling "toast" into the air (Kaufman-scale comedy level three)

Action: Build up on the joke in an obvious and unsubtle way.
    Result: Groans (standard comedy level one, buildup for later)

Action: "Suddenly" strike upon obscure, strange answer instead of the obvious one above.
    Result: Kaufman-scale comedy level two

Action: After said buildup, hit you with a perfectly natural, unexpected, un-built-up, witty joke to cap it off out of nowhere.
    Result: Hilarity, standard comedy level three

Maybe I overthink these things...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Result:Kaufman-scale comedy level two
    I think you underestimate the complexity of Kaufman's work. It wasn't about just throwing non-sequiters against the cultural tableau to be weird. If you haven't, please watch Man on the Moon.
  • I think you underestimate the complexity of Kaufman's work.
    I think you underestimate the granularity of my scale. I'd say there are at least twenty levels of his humor. My "level three" joke was merely the "scrolling TV image" gag, which is depicted in the movie.
  • Maybe I overthink these things...
    Perhaps, I still laughed at that part, good job. :D
  • Hmmm, I'm not convinced. This may have been your intention, but it fell way short of any hillarity.
  • You "kneaded" two bread jokes?
  • Finally catching up with old episodes. Wee for factual errors: The Red Wings are not the oldest club. The Canadiens are. Red Wings were founded 1925. The Habs got their centennial this season.

Good stuff on the cloud computing.
  • Red Wings were founded 1925
    The team was founded in 1911, and underwent a few name changes over the years. They changed their name for the last time to the "Red Wings" in 1926, so the difference is only a few years.
  • edited October 2008
    I tried to resist.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!