This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081001 - Comics are for Boys

edited October 2008 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights we response to a somewhat fair criticism of one of our panels. In the news, we went to the NYAF, and they're really making the Lupin Car.

Scott's Thing - Mamboleo
Rym's Thing - Rock and Roll Bomber

Comments

• edited October 2008
    While I have a fond little place in my heart for KO Century Beast, that OP has nothing on Watashi no Tamago.

You need to read Tin Tin. Put it on your list...
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • edited October 2008
    I think this is what triggered the Kiki-Batman connection. It was on AWO episode 58.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Emily adds an awesome dynamic to the show. I feel like it's a lot easier for you guys to play off eachother with a third person in the mix.
  • Mambo-mamboleo mambo-mambole...
  • edited October 2008
    1.Emily: At first, I thought you had a bad Brooklyn accent. But then, as I listened, to it it was more cute and fun. Good job on the show.

2. I think that making definitive versions of your panels would be a great idea. because Not only are some people too lazy to go to see you guys, but some are actually incapable. of seeing it (such as long stretches of water known as the ocean). Also, you guys have gone down to two shows a week, so you have more time to put together these smaller ideas in order to boost you into your eventual super Internet popularity faster.

I'm running out of warnings. Please mind how you post.
    -Mod
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Having Emily on the show was really cool. I second what Gunter said about her adding a neat dynamic to things. Also, I have to re-watch Here is Greenwood now.
  • KO Century Beast's dub was odd as all get out and it had a whole fuck-ton of anime references and digs in the general direction of the voice cast ("I feel like I'm in a poke ball!")
  • KO Century Beast's dub was odd as all get out
    It's pretty painful to listen to.
    it had a whole fuck-ton of anime references and digs in the general direction of the voice cast ("I feel like I'm in a poke ball!")
    That line was in the original Japanese, actually.
  • ... It's owned by Ford and Ferrari ...
    ... They make little cars ...
    ... It's the kind of car a high school kid would have.
    I haven't lol'd so hard in such a long time. Ford does not own Fiat, Fiat owns Ferrari. Fiat owns pretty much all Italian car brands, with the exception of Lamborghini. They make normal cars, and they aren't that popular either, I haven't seen one in quite some time. As for high school kids... eh, yeah right, if high school kids were allowed to get a drivers license perhaps, and even then Fiats would cost too much. Scott's knowledge of the European cars, not that good.
  • The reason I thought Ford owned Fiat was from reading these kinds of news stories a few years ago. Also, my knowledge of European cars comes from two places, Top Gear and a trip to Israel in 2000. In Israel, Fiats were everywhere, were relatively cheap, and high school kids were driving them.
  • In Israel, Fiats were everywhere, were relatively cheap, and high school kids were driving them.
    Israel however is not Europe. As for your other source, Top Gear, while awesome, did apparently not teach you enough, or you were sleeping. As for them being cheap, in the year 2000 the Dollar was still pretty strong. What you consider(ed) to be cheap, might not be considered cheap by other countries.

Fiat courting Ford for a joint project basically means "Ford, makes us an engine, we make the rest". Since that's pretty much all Ford can make. :)
  • One of my uncles owned a Fiat years ago when they did have more of a lower priced US presence. I think they've been long gone from our market in that capacity.

On the girls & comics issue, my early teen daughter has read most of the comics you brought up at the panel. She's got no problem with them 'not being for girls' since she's being raised right...
  • I find it funny that "Satellite" thinks Runaways is a comic for boys.

I remember talking to a few people who work at a comic book shop that based upon what they've seen that Runaways is the gateway comic for boyfriends trying to get their girlfriends into comics.

Also I think that it's a great idea that you put your retired panels on youtube. For those who can't go to all those East Coast cons, it would be a nice treat to see what you did there.
    edited October 2008
    Yosh, more Gomily on the show please! Good show. Rym, Steam forums are scary as hell yes. To Scott, I see more proper posts on 4chan than others forums. :) Then again, this says little...
    Post edited by ... on
  • Just A Note, I was wrong about Skeleton Key. I was thinking of a different comic, one that was more stereotypically manga styled. Skeleton Key is one I haven't read, but it looks good.
  • I haven't heard/watched Mamboleo in a long time. It's still the best AMV.
  • There are a lot of Fiats down here in Costa Rica, they are as popular and at the same price range as Toyota, Honda, Renault, Ford, etc.
  • Emily or bust.
  • GeekNights definitely needs more Emily. Have you guys read Blankets by Craig Thompson? It's a romance and one of my favorite comics.
  • I was actually going to mention Blankets, but I forgot. I have a copy, but the boys haven't read it yet.
  • I was actually going to mention Blankets, but I forgot. I have a copy, but the boys haven't read it yet.
    Make them.
    Make them.
    What is with people acting like we are all resistant to reading things? Nobody has to "make us" read anything. We are more than happy to try anything and everything. People seem to think if we haven't consumed their favorite book/anime/comic/movie/game yet it is because we don't know about it, or are somehow resistant to it.

Listen. There is more entertainment media in the world than there is time to consume. If you want us to consume more, send us thousands of dollars every month so that we can quit our jobs and spend all of our time reading and watching and playing. I'll be more than happy to take you up on it. Until then, just chill. My to-read stack of books is larger than many people's entire personal libraries. Back off.
  • edited October 2008
    What is with people acting like we are all resistant to reading things? Nobody has to "make us" read anything. We are more than happy to try anything and everything. People seem to think if we haven't consumed their favorite book/anime/comic/movie/game yet it is because we don't know about it, or are somehow resistant to it.

Listen. There is more entertainment media in the world than there is time to consume. If you want us to consume more, send us thousands of dollars every month so that we can quit our jobs and spend all of our time reading and watching and playing. I'll be more than happy to take you up on it. Until then, just chill. My to-read stack of books is larger than many people's entire personal libraries. Back off.
    Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be taken in that way. >_>
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Hi. You guys are entertaining and this podcast was quite amusing. I did not mind that for the most part you all dissed my opinion, especially since in the same podcast at least one of you dissed the entire New York Anime Festival! Hey... thousands of people had lots of fun at that con! But I agree that the dealers/exhibitors room was a bit lackluster.
    As likeable as you guys are, the image that comes to mind upon reflecting on the 2nd half of the podcast is of three people sitting around agreeing with each other that the earth is flat (literally, geometrically). I have three simple, direct questions to pose to you all:

1) Why is it that when I go into a Western-comics-oriented comic book store like Midtown Comics, it is always the case that almost all the customers in the store are male. I do not see a sign at the door saying "no females allowed"... it seems to have something to do with the content of the material on the shelves.
    2) Why is it that when I go to a Western comic book con in NYC, the vast majority of the attendees are male. I do not see a sign at the door saying "Half-price admission for dudes": it seems to have something to do with the material within.
    3) Why is it that when I go to an anime/manga con in the NYC area, the attendees are either split about 50-50 males/females or there is actually a majority of females. For all the world it seems to be a result of the material within.

OF COURSE FRANK MILLER FARE IS MALE ORIENTED! Denying that is craziness! For example, did you guys watch "Sin City"?! It is little more than a succession of violence and torture: entirely dependent on depictions of grizzly gore for it's entertainment value. On a few of the others: I started reading Watchmen once but it didn't interest me (the "just look at the name" comment was meant as a joke). I read an issue of Bone yesterday: I thought it was pretty dumb. But I have not given up and I am going to try Fables. I appreciate Emily's recommendations at the end: perhaps I will try those.
  • edited October 2008
    1) Why is it that when I go into a Western-comics-oriented comic book store like Midtown Comics, it is always the case that almost all the customers in the store are male? I do not see a sign at the door saying "no females allowed"... it seems to have something to do with the content of the material on the shelves.
    2) Why is it that when I go to a Western comic book con in NYC, the vast majority of the attendees are male? I do not see a sign at the door saying "Half-price admission for dudes": it seems to have something to do with the material within.
    3) Why is it that when I go to an anime/manga con in the NYC area, the attendees are either split about 50-50 males/females or there is actually a majority of females? For all the world it seems to be a result of the material within.
    If you're going to ask a question, you might want to end the sentences with a question mark. ^_~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I loved the analogy you had for toy isles in this episode. Also as for having Emily on the show, I think you should bring her on whenever she would have a different opinion or perspective than you guys on something. I don't really mean "the female perspective" but just a different view in general.
  • 1) Why is it that when I go into a Western-comics-oriented comic book store like Midtown Comics, it is always the case that almost all the customers in the store are male. I do not see a sign at the door saying "no females allowed"... it seems to have something to do with the content of the material on the shelves.
    2) Why is it that when I go to a Western comic book con in NYC, the vast majority of the attendees are male. I do not see a sign at the door saying "Half-price admission for dudes": it seems to have something to do with the material within.
    3) Why is it that when I go to an anime/manga con in the NYC area, the attendees are either split about 50-50 males/females or there is actually a majority of females. For all the world it seems to be a result of the material within.
    I'm not disagreeing with you here. The US superhero comics culture is largely superhero-based, and has major problems with sexism. I believe we did talk about how much cheesecake there is in comics, on both sides of the ocean, and how we detest it. The only thing we disagreed with you on was that the particular comics we mentioned in our panel were all-time comics that appeal to all genders. You may not personally like our choices, and you may be female, but that doesn't mean that the books are male-oriented books. You admit yourself you haven't read many of them.

Also, while Sin City and other Frank Miller books, do tend to be violent, and have many whores in them, we did not recommend Sin City, 300, Ronin, or his other works. We recommended only Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which is a revolutionary comic from any perspective. It is no different than recommending The Godfather as a great movie. It has plenty of depictions of violence, but it is considered one of the greatest movies of all time with equal appeal to all people, regardless of gender, race, or other factors.

I really think there is definitely a Catch-22 situation going on here. If you make the pretty pink comics like in Japan, you are sexist because you are furthering the gender stereotypes. If you don't make the pretty pink comics, you are sexist because you neglected the female audience. Which is it?

I agree the US comics market is sexist because they make many unisex comics as well as male-stereotyped comics, but not many female stereotyped ones. That sort of imbalance is clearly a problem. However, I think that everyone, but you, agrees that the specific comics we mentioned in our panel have unisex appeal. If a comic only had appeal to one particular demographic, even a non-gender demographic, it wouldn't be worth mentioning.
  • Also, while Sin City and other Frank Miller books, do tend to be violent, and have many whores in them, we did not recommend Sin City, 300, Ronin, or his other works. We recommended only Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which is a revolutionary comic from any perspective.
    Not to mention Robin being a strong female character. Some other comics with unisex appeal are the Flight anthologies, started by Kazu Kibuishi of Copper fame.
  • edited October 2008
    1) Why is it that when I go into a Western-comics-oriented comic book store like Midtown Comics, it is always the case that almost all the customers in the store are male?I do not see a sign at the door saying "no females allowed"... it seems to have something to do with the content of the material on the shelves.
    2) Why is it that when I go to a Western comic book con in NYC, the vast majority of the attendees are male?I do not see a sign at the door saying "Half-price admission for dudes": it seems to have something to do with the material within.
    3) Why is it that when I go to an anime/manga con in the NYC area, the attendees are either split about 50-50 males/females or there is actually a majority of females?For all the world it seems to be a result of the material within.
    If you're going to ask a question, you might want to end the sentences with a question mark. ^_~
    Leave here alone! Do you want to scare her off?
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited October 2008
    Leave here alone! Do you want to scare her off?
    I think you should know how it works around here by now.
    Post edited by Walker on