This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How To Not Act Like A Dumb Fan

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
I have to write a feature story for one of my classes, E-Zine. In it you make a magazine in small groups using InDesign that goes up for free on the internet. So, our group decided to go for something easy: Things that inspire us or have changed us or anything of the sort. One of my first ideas was to do a story about the first show that made me want to get into podcasting, so I contacted my local morning radio show to see if I could sit in. After waiting forever, they responded and said I could come.
Now I have a problem. I love listening to these guys, and I nearly wet myself when I got the e-mail saying I could sit in on a show, so I don't want to make an ass of myself when I observe.
Have you encountered this problem? If so, do you have any tips for me? Any useful help would be great!

Comments

• Treat them as regular guys, but don't be afraid to complement them about their show or tell them how much you like it. People are always flattered by something like that.
  • Don't be this guy.
    BEST. ADVICE. EVER.

And seconded what Sail said. Just be cool, tell them you enjoy their show, and when sitting in, be professional. Try to learn something from them doing their show, how they do it, etc, everything you could use for your story.
  • Just be cool and don't ooze nervous-ness.

Too bad I don't listen to my own advice. :P
  • Don't assume friendship.
  • edited September 2008
    Listen to the Geeknights episode about how to be professional.
    Don't assume friendship.
    Don't assume the person you are writing to won't be a self righteous arsehole.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited September 2008
    Don't be this guy.
    Also, don't say something unless you really think it's worthwhile. Using unnecessary small talk is a good way to look like a tool.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • That post was supposed to be humourous, but I guess it fell on it's face.
  • The best advice I ever heard on the subject came from Howard Taylor at a panel he was running. He was talking about how he once met Steve Jackson and fought hard not to let out a big "SQUEEEEEEE!" He said that what you have to do is keep up a calm face and internally let out a suave "Squee."
    Just stay calm and act professional. Shake hands, exchange smiles and talk shop. Have some questions ready for them about radio so you don't choke up.
  • That post was supposed to be humourous, but I guess it fell on it's face.
    Yes, yes it did.
  • Thanks guys! I'm gonna be on tomorrow from 8-10 AM, and now I don't feel so worried about doing the interview. I can't wait!
  • Don't scream to the screen when watching anime or anything. It is quite annoying.
    Don't go bragging that you know useless facts such as where did Naoko Takeuchi got the idea to give Usagi such a hair design :S
  • I went on Friday morning! It was really great, and I even got to meet Carlos Mencia!
    The interview went terrifically, and I can't wait to show them the story.
    They were also really nice, and kinda shocked at how young I was based on the e-mail I sent them.

I'm so glad I missed Geography. :D
  • Carlos Mencia huh...
    May I ask what he was like.
    I pray his television/comedy personality is MUCH different then his own.
  • Carlos Mencia huh...
    I pray his television/comedy personality isMUCHdifferent then his own.
    He was pretty cool, actually. When he was talking to the hosts he sounded like they had been friends forever when one of them had just met him for the first time.
  • Carlos Mencia huh...
    He was pretty cool, actually. When he was talking to the hosts he sounded like they had been friends forever when one of them had just met him for the first time.
    That's good, because I can't stand that guy one bit.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2008
    >
    Carlos Mencia huh...
    Ditto.
    Don't bethis guy.
    Fuck you.
    Was that really necessary? Don't you think you're overreacting a little too much?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2008
    Carlos Mencia huh...
    Thats like saying you can't stand Colbert... it could just be a persona he uses for television. Maybe he is a truly humble person who has a purpose for telling his aggressive "jokes" like Dave Chappelle did.
    He is an entertainer after all. If you don't like clowns that doesn't mean you can't like the guy who dresses up as Bozo. ^_^
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • The reason I can't stand Mencia has more to do with his joke-stealing and general dickish-ness concerning that.
  • Why does everyone bag on Morio-kun???
  • Why does everyone bag on Morio-kun???
    What's it to you if we do that?
  • What's it to you if we do that?
    Please don't scare away the fresh blood.
  • Mmmm, blood.
  • Mmmm, blood.
    What flavor?
  • edited October 2008
    Why does everyone bag on Morio-kun???
    Sadly it has become a fad to a select few I believe.
    He does little things that some find annoying, but sadly the group has blown them out of proportion and now rag on him for anything he says because it's "funny".
    Some have even labeled their actions as righteous for they believe this harsh name calling and ostracizing will make him change for the better.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • There was more annoying people than him. Morio is small potatoes in annoyance and it's died down as of late.
    Some have even labeled their actions as righteous for they believe this harsh name calling and ostracizing will make him change for the better.
    I seen this in action though. Sometimes it's the only way.
  • There was more annoying people than him.
    Should we name them?
    Should we name them?
    That Mosquitoboy kid is such a dick. I hate him so much.
    Should we name them?
    That Mosquitoboy kid is such a dick. I hate him so much.
    I don't know. That Viga chick is so eww. She's always like "Weee! Gay Scrym yay! Weee anime and yaoi!"