This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Great anime shorts?

edited October 2008 in Anime
Hi, my name is Derek. I'm a long time listener, first time poster. I'm a student in England (Albion...), with some mates I have recently started running a weekly film screening at my university. Next week I am showing Grave of the Fireflies as a beginning step into anime for my fellow students. My argument being that an animated film can have just as much emotional impact as any live action film.

Before each screening there is half an hour to show short films. This is where I am struggling. Does anyone know any good animated short films (preferably Japanese) I could show? So far I'm considering showing a short called Requiem and perhaps a segment of the Animatrix. However this still leaves me plenty of time to fill. Cheers

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Hi, my name is Derek. I'm a long time listener, first time poster.
    Hello, Derek. Welcome to the forums!
    Next week I am showing Grave of the Fireflies as a beginning step into anime for my fellow students.
    When I first read this, I immediately thought to myself, "Why would you show something so depressing to get people into anime?!" Then I read your following sentence.
    My argument being that an animated film can have just as much emotional impact as any live action film.
    This may not be an anime, however Rym's Thing of the Day from 061113 - Hard Drives: Partitioning was an animated short called Kiwi. Everytime I watch this short, it makes me cry so much. I think it would be a good example of just animation in general having a lot of emotional impact on a person.

I'm trying to think of more things, however, there have been Things of the Day throughout the Geek Night's Archives that might help. I hope this helps, and I will try to post more if I can think of any.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I haven't seen it, but I hear that Hoshi no Koe is pretty good.
  • look for anything from the people at Studio 4C
  • I think any of the 3 from Memories might be ok, however it might be too long.
  • Oh God, Grave of the Fireflies? I watched that in Japanese and cried... Felt depressed the whole day afterward.
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I know one, 7 minute movie by I think it was Ghibli, On Your Mark. Not a sad story.
    [A]nimated short calledKiwi.
    Oh god, I never saw that before, so saaaaad. D: Go Kiwi! GO!

And I still have to watch Grave of the Fireflies. I watched the start, I have it on my comp, I just haven't watched it completely. :(
    Post edited by ... on

• And I still have to watch Grave of the Fireflies. I watched the start, I have it on my comp, I just haven't watched it completely. :(
    DON'T DO IT! Unless you want to be horribly depressed for the whole day.
  • DON'T DO IT! Unless you want to be horribly depressed for the whole day.
    I heard this before, hence I did not yet finish it.
  • Genius Party is a omnibus of shorts by Studio 4C. I'd look into many of their little 5 minute films. Some of them are kinda artsy and weird, but others are just plain beautiful. They were the studio that did much of the animation for the Animatrix, so if you like that kind of thing, some of their shorts might appeal to you.

For the time being "Baby Blue" and "Shanghai Dragon" are really good. Check 'em out on Youtube.

Not from genius party:
    Anikuri are super short, and can be interesting.
    "Comedy" (2002) from "Sweat Punch 3" is a totally gorgeous short.
  • DON'T DO IT! Unless you want to be horribly depressed for the whole day.
    I heard this before, hence I did not yet finish it.
    It's definitely depressing, but it's still amazing and should be watched. Watching it with a group of people might be a better option than watching it by yourself, though. The second half is a lot tougher to sit through than the first.
  • Tezuka shorts (can be found on Youtube...and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them yet)
    She and her cat by Makoto Shinkai

That's about all I got.
  • Amazing Nuts from Studio 4C
  • Tezuka shorts (can be found on Youtube...and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them yet)
    She and her catby Makoto Shinkai

That's about all I got.
    I was wondering how long it would take someone to post about Tezuka shorts which are teh awesome! Good job posting it in record time. If it wasn't posted after at least 30+ posts (which will never ever happen on any intelligent forum), I would've been shamed to be in the same forum with anyone else. Needless to say, it would be a dark day in the forums.
  • "Comedy" (2002)
    I second "Comedy."

Also, is Genius Party available on DVD? I can't find it in Japan.
  • Thank you very much for your welcome and all your suggestions, I have been going over them and I'm getting together a reel for tomorrow now. I'm going to put on Comedy and Kiwi as per your posts to show as much variations in styles of animation as possible.

If you are interested I also found two other shorts which showcase a good variation in animation styles, The Puppet by a guy called Patrick Smith and Tim Burtons Vincent , a short stop motion film he made voiced by Vincent Price. If you haven't seen either I'd recommend them.

Once again thanks for all your suggestions and tips.
  • Oh and as for Tezuka shorts, I really wanted to show Jumping, but unfortunately the youtube version is terrible quality and I couldn't find a better version.
  • edited October 2008
    Hey, I'm getting very close to being banned for my sloppy posting, bad grammar, and frightening spelling.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Are you the Bonta-kun from the animesuki forums? Just a heads up, we use the Shift key here. Forum rules and all that.
  • Are you the Bonta-kun from the animesuki forums? Just a heads up, we use the Shift key here. Forum rules and all that.
    We also use periods, commas and apostrophes.
  • Miss Critical Moment (Ippatsu Kiki Musume) is a funny series of short episodes. More info here:
    ANN link

There's an active torrent for the show that's reasonably quick for the entire series (16 or so episodes)
  • Miss Critical Moment (Ippatsu Kiki Musume) is a funny series of short episodes. More info here:
    ANN link

There's an active torrent for the show that's reasonably quick for the entire series (16 or so episodes)
    Ho man! I have been wanting to re-watch that show for ages, but I couldn't remember the name. Thank you!
  • Miss Critical Moment...Damn someone already said it.
    Anime World Order told me about it. It Rocks, to say the least.
  • You could always show some stuff from Robot Carnival if you can find it. You will probably have to torrent it unless you can get a VHS copy. I don't even know if it was released across the pond, but it's worth checking out.
  • Ah yes. Robot Carnival. Good one. Almost forgot about it.
  • edited November 2008
    Are you the Bonta-kun from the animesuki forums? Just a heads up, we use the Shift key here. Forum rules and all that.
    No, I'm not the BontaKun from animesuki. Sorry though, I didn't realize it was my grammar was that bad. I did do, however, know know that my spelling is terrible.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2008
    I need to calm down or I'm going to get myself banned.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2008
    The issue seems to be, BontaKun, that you differ from a lot of people here in some of your views about forums. It seems like you think that forums are essentially casual, places for jokes and light conversation, and so language should be light as well, or even that, regardless of subject matter, as long as the message gets across, the grammar and form of the message don't matter. While people here don't think that forums should be a place for people to exchange term papers, there is an idea that places where grammar and capitalization and spelling aren't important will tend to have less important and less interesting posts, that form influences substance, and that the sort of discussion we want see is fostered by insisting on certain rules. Admittedly, there's also an undercurrent of prescriptive "THIS IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY AND ANYTHING ELSE IS IMMORAL" thinking going on and I think sometimes that does lead to people going too far, but there's also a fairly reasonable impulse here. Also sometimes people are just immature or mean, that happens to. We're not immune to that.

Also, I am very surprised no one has mentioned Twilight yet. Although I suppose it doesn't actually fit the technical definition of a short. It's still really good, though. (I really hope that's the correct link, I can't watch Youtube videos right now for some reason.)
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • On Your Mark by Miyazaki. Both a good short and a good music video.
  • The Animatrix is pretty awesome. it turned out to be a lot better than i thought.