This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081009 - Sandwiches

Comments

• Avocadoes go well on practically every kind of sandwich. Also burgers, if you insist on counting those separately.
  • Peanut butter and Bacon anyone? Great way to wake up in the morning. Also Spanglish had a famous sandwich too, since it was considered "the world's greatest", I doubt that but if you saw it you can not deny the tasty potential it had.
  • edited October 2008
    American food worries the hell out of me.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Post edited by Neito on
  • That looks nasty Neito, and tasty.
  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again: hot pastrami on fresh rye bread, with stone-ground mustard. I dare you to find me a better sandwich.
  • I love the Monte Cristo sandwich, it's a shame that I can't eat it more than usually once a year.
  • it's a shame that I can't eat it more than usually once a year.
    I have them at least a few times a month. ^_^
  • Oy Gevalt, that looks horrific. But then again, so does poutine.

Is it just me, or do things, like turduckin, that combine copious amounts of different greasy meats seem kind of excessive and disgusting?
  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again: hot pastrami on fresh rye bread, with stone-ground mustard. I dare you to find me a better sandwich.
    Lets go to the deli, Pete. Pastrami on rye with a pickle is one of my favorites.
  • edited October 2008
    Neito, that's one scary looking sandwich!

My sandwiches are bread, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and cheese. I love being a vegetarian. ^_^

Edit: Sometimes with mustard and mayo.
    Post edited by Meru on
  • edited October 2008
    My sandwiches are bread, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and cheese.
    I love being a vegetarian. ^_^
    DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • That is not a sandwich, That's a house salad between two pieces of bread.
  • edited October 2008
    I like turkey and cream cheese on German dark wheat! Yum!

I also love to make cream cheese and jelly on toast.

Those pictures scare me.
    American food worries the hell out of me.
    Me too.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited October 2008
    I also love to make cream cheese and jelly on toast.
    I have mostly abandoned pb&j; in favor of CC&J.; It's just so much more tasty.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I have them at least a few times a month. ^_^
    I hate you... SO MUCH!
  • edited October 2008
    Okay, it's all about the Monte Cristo, but not just any ordinary Monte Cristo! Ham, Swiss and turkey, that's all good. However, the bread must be thin challah bread, in french toast form. To put it over the top, the sandwich has to be served with maple syrup for dipping, and it must be served hot. The salt of the meats in the sandwich with the sweetness of the syrup makes a beautiful combination. Messy, but beautiful. Go to the Bryant House in Weston Vermont, and they'll make you a god-damned Monte Cristo. :D
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Turkey + mashed potatoes + rye = best way to use Thanksgiving leftovers.
    I love sandwiches with mashed potatoes, I have them all the time. Usually with ham and cheese, or whatever meat and cheese there is in the fridge.
    Don't forget to use a moist-maker.
  • edited October 2008
    Anyone here ever had the "fat" sandwiches of New Jeresey? I think they originally gained popularity from the roach coaches (mobile food units) of college campuses, and now you can find them in various restaurants around here. For those who don't know the fat sandwiches are they're generally large sandwiches with what some might consider an odd collection of ingredients on a hoagie roll then given the name "Fat Something or another", like Fat Cat or Fat Moon.

An example of what you might find on such a sandwich would be chicken fingers, motzerella sticks, and french fries served on a hoagie roll covered with marinara sauce.

Or perhaps you'd like fried egg, bacon, hamburger, chicken fingers, french fries, lettuce, tomato and mayo?

Or maybe Cheese Steak, Gyro Meat, hamburger, mozzarella sticks, french fries and tzatziki sauce?

Basically all the sandwiches are combination like that. They're actually quite delicious, though they're not something you'd want to eat every day, cause you'd probably end up... well... dead. Though I have to admit, whenever someone that's never been to Jersey visits, I have to take them down for one of those sandwiches just for their reactions.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • I found a place, a local family owned place down the street from where I live that makes great sandwiches. All their meat is fresh as is the bread, they bake it through the day. You can tell because whenever you walk by you can smell it. My favorite that they make, along with my favorite sandwich period is the reuben. They even make their own sauerkraut and dressing for it.
  • edited October 2008
    What no love for tuna or chicken salad? tuna + cottage cheese + shredded colby jack + mayo + sour cream + wheat roll = really good.
    Post edited by Nerissa on
  • What no love for tuna or chicken salad? tuna + cottage cheese + shredded colby jack + malo + sour cream + wheat roll = really good.
    Two things: first, that sounds crazy and epic, and second, what the hell is malo?
  • I have mostly abandoned pb&j; in favor of CC&J.; It's just so much more tasty.
    I'm quite fond of PB&CC;, myself. :)
  • What no love for tuna or chicken salad? tuna + cottage cheese + shredded colby jack + malo + sour cream + wheat roll = really good.
    Not a big fan of tuna, but salmon works great on sandwiches.
  • I ordered a BLT once that had an assload of bacon and cream cheese. I've never had cream cheese on a BLT before, it was delicious. Ooh I love tuna salad sandwiches. Tuna + mayo + finely chopped pickles + finely chopped boiled egg.
  • I ordered a BLT once that had an assload of bacon and cream cheese. I've never had cream cheese on a BLT before, it was delicious. Ooh I love tuna salad sandwiches. Tuna + mayo + finely chopped pickles + finely chopped boiled egg.
    Sliced hard-boiled egg on a sandwich can be really awesome. I've had a great sandwich consisting of a chopped liver spread, sliced egg, Russian/Thousand Island dressing, and LTO on rye bread. Good stuff. Cholesterol central, but very tasty.
  • Anyone here ever had the "fat" sandwiches of New Jeresey?
    I've heard, never seen nor tasted, however I would like to try them sometime (maybe not the whole thing) but I garner a bite...
  • I'm a fan of an over easy fried egg on buttered rye bread. It's a simple breakfast. Better if you toss some (turkey) bacon on it as well.

I have yet to find a good locally owned deli. But there are a few franchised deli restaurants that I like to go to and eat a tasty muffuletta.
  • Potbelly's

New place that opened around me, pretty good, gets into good sandwich place to go in the area.