This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081015 - Political Manga

edited October 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we make our contribution to politics in comics month with an episode about political manga. We mostly discuss First President of Japan, Sanctuary, and Eagle. In the news, we are probably finally going to rock Anime Boston '09, and Studio Ghibli's DS game is off the hook.

Scott's Thing - Ghostly Swim
Rym's Thing - Johnny Wander

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Yay Anime Boston!

I can't wait to hear your review of my home con. I want to hear all the bad stuff mostly, since I really like it even though it's a 12 year old fest.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2008
  • I am a fan of all of these books. Ever since I heard the podcasts about Sanctuary and Eagle I have been trying to get them. I am only missing the first volume of Sanctuary and volumes 2 and 4 of Eagle. Now I have to check out the First President of Japan.

Sanctuary is unmitigated awesome!
  • NOOOOOO!!!!!!! I fucking KNEW this would happen. The no more than two months after I move out of easy driving distance from Boston, Rym and Scott decide to go to Anime Boston.

ARRRGHH!!!!!!
  • ARRRGHH!!!!!!
    Welcome to the world of being a west coast listener.
  • ARRRGHH!!!!!!
    Don't remind me, this cruel world does so enough.
  • Ghostly Swim, weird, but I can't stop listening to it.
  • Welcome to the world of being a west coast listener.
    At least we're on the better coast.

:D
  • ARRRGHH!!!!!!
    QFT
    At least we're on the better coast.
    QFT ^_~
  • Sanctuary sounds good to me. I like any story having to deal with the yakuza.
  • @BBOCS You owe me $5/$2, dude.
    Speaking of owing money, I want my $5 change for the shirt I bought from you guys at PAX. ^_~

(Just kidding. I honestly don't mind if I never get the $5 back.)
  • "Anime Boston"

Fuck yeah! Let me get you guys Dim Sum or a glass of mead or something when you're here.
  • I gotta remember to pick up Eagle, and First Japanese President next time I go to an anime con.
  • Yo, you guys need to go to the Science museum if you’re in Boston.
    It is quite cool.
  • Yo, you guys need to go to the Science museum if you’re in Boston.
    It is quite cool.
    I'm not so sure about that. There are a couple of cool things going on at the Science museum, but for the most part the place seems more suited towards children than people Rym and Scott's age.
  • edited October 2008
    I guess... I donno. I can't make a non-bias judgment. I love it, but it may be because of past memories as a child there. I still love the math room, the electricity room, and a few others.

I guess maybe it isn't worth the money, but if you go to libraries you can usually get free/discounted tickets.

The IMAX theater is amazing! If you have never been in something like this before, this is a thing you should see. You don't need tickets to the museum to get tickets for this. They are separate things.
    Imax website
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • I've been to the Boston science museum and IMAX theater a bajillion times.
  • edited October 2008
    I found a site with Sanctuary scanlations: http://www.mangafox.com/page/manga/series/2920/sanctuary/
    Post edited by Mana Wannabe on
  • I'm just curious. Scantuary was actually translated by Viz. Are there people out there who are scanning in the Japanese versions and doing their own translations of them, or are these just scans of the Viz editions? I think it is important to note that the Viz editions are flipped, however the translation is very good. If someone out there were to put out some unflipped scans, but use the Viz translation, that would be pretty cool.
  • edited October 2008
    Ghostly International is so awesome. One of their bands, Skeletons & The Girl-Faced Boys/The Kings of All Cities is one of my all time favorite bands and if you can manage to find Lucas or Git, I highly recommend both.

They're like an accessible, IDM Animal Collective.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Oh jeez, I was not expecting this! Thanks for the link, Rym! :D I guess I'll have to make the comic funny and/or interesting now.

I'll try to give you fellas a call tomorrow, it's been a while!
  • Eagle is awesome. I began reading it yesterday before listening to the episode today and it's fantastic. Hard time finding other volumes on amazon though. I can only find those 120 page things instead of the 460 page books. I only found volume 3 for a reasonable price and bought it right of the second hand shop before it was gone.
  • I can only find those 120 page things instead of the 460 page books. I only found volume 3 for a reasonable price and bought it right of the second hand shop before it was gone.
    Why are you doing what I told you not to do?
  • edited October 2008
    Maybe that didn't come out right. I got in front of me the 420 page volume 1 and ordered the 420 page volume 3. I am on the lookout for the 420 page volume 2, 4 and 5 but all I can find are the 120 page editions which go up to like volume 16 and I am NOT buying.

Edit: The other volumes are on amazon, but none of them is less than 18 € and the cheapest offer for Volume 5 is 40€! Not my price.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • At a local comicon I bought a bunch of the 120 pg Eagle books for a dollar each. I don't have all of them, but what I've read of the story is really good. I will keep my eyes open to upgrade to the full size editions.
  • Late to the party, but wanted to say thanks for the plug! :D Johnny Wander should be fun all around. ;)
  • I finally got Volume 4 of Eagle for a decent price ($23 which is about 17€) on Amazon.com. I thought I should just bite the bullet since I really like the series and Battle Royale is also shipping for 22€ for a 600 page volume here. Anyways, I'm still looking for Volume 5. The only one I can find online is priced at 50€ which is simply put insane. If anybody got the 500+ page volume 5 of Eagle and is willing to sell it to me and ship it to Austria, of course I will reimburse the full shipping cost, please contact me.