This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime on Hulu

edited September 2008 in Anime
Just went to Hulu.com and they just added an anime section to the site. Only 5 shows so far: Speed Racer (51 eps,) Astroboy (50 eps, its the newer one not the old series,) Naruto (21 eps,) Mushi-Shi (12 eps) and Death Note (all 37 eps.)

Now this is a good way to get anime.

It's subtitled too.

Comments

• It's subtitled too.
    Man, I was really excited to be able to see the original Japanese version of Speed Racer. You lied to me Kiey, you lied and you shall pay the price for your treachery!
  • I love that they are putting anime on hulu, but I don't like how they're doing the subs. It should be full screen anime with subs on the bottom of the scene, IMO.
  • I rather watch It is always sunny in Philadelphia, the Colbert Report, 3rd Rock, or The daily show :P
    Astro boy is awesome but I won't watch the edited American version :(
    Now if by some kind of change in the space continuum hulu releases NEW GETTER ROBO, I would definitely watch that anime channel. Seriously, that bud was awesome :P
  • Oh wow, that's the very new Astro Boy. I've got the '80s series on the Netflix Roku. I've got half of the original black and white series on DVD. The second half is very expensive. I think that makes it possible for me to watch all of the Astro Boy anime there is to see.
  • Why must Hulu be this good yet I must be unable to use it? :/
  • NEW GETTER ROBO
    I would be pleased with the original series.
  • Hulu has posted the season 2 premier of Chuck a week in advance of its NBC broadcast.
  • Hulu has posted theseason 2 premier of Chucka week in advance of its NBC broadcast.
    Is that show any good? I tried watching a few episodes and it seemed too corny and cheesy. For some reason I just can't like the female agent. I am curious to see how Adam Baldwin plays out in it.
  • It has a horrible premise and the dramatic aspects of the show are deplorable. But as was the case with Buffy and other such shows, Chuck is good because of its characters and understated comedy. And it's made success for itself by hitching itself to the geek market.

Bottom line: Don't watch it for the spy stories. Watch it for everything else, and take none of it seriously.
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, Chuck seemed to be likable and very hot in that geeky sorta way. It's just that female agent. Since she's the main one protecting him, she's a main character. I think I have a predisposition of not liking female roles with blondes being the lead. :/

I guess when I have nothing better to do, I'll check it out.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Sweet! They have Exo-Squad! I totally wasn't actually expecting that to work! Holy crap, I know what I'm doing Thursday!
  • edited September 2008
    I was going to use Netflix to watch Death Note, but now I don't have to. Ah Internets, how I love you.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Well, I just fixed my troubles. Now I can also watch Hulu :)
  • I remember signing up for the private beta of Hulu, and to my dismay the videos would not play simply because I don't live in America. I just checked to see if they opened it up internationally, and they haven't. However, using hotspot shield works and I'm currently watching Deathnote. I've refreshing to read subs that are in proper English with no typos. I just wish the subs would actually be on the video, not the system they use now where they shift the whole video up just to fit the subs underneath.
  • edited September 2008
    If I'm recalling this article correctly (I read it on ANN before my coffee), didn't they say alot of Funimation's stuff was going to go up there?
    Also, new Astro Boy and old Speed Racer have been up on there for a while.
    EDIT: Seems Joost is gonna be going after the anime geek market, too.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Mushi-Shi
    YESSSSS.
  • edited October 2008
    I just try to download what I want to watch, because since I don't have an internet connection at my house, I take my laptop to my friends place and use his wifi.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Again Bonta, when speaking about a person, use capital letters. When talking about someone's possessions, use apostrophes.
  • Again Bonta, when speaking about a person, use capital letters. When talking about someone's possessions, use apostrophes.
    Don't bother correcting people in the forum anymore. I'm setting up a special sort of punishment for repeat offenders that will be ready this weekend.
  • Thank god, Rym.

Topic: I've been fairly impressed with Hulu recently. Though the advertising may be somewhat annoying, it generally isn't overbearing. It's a good place to watch SNL clips and such.
  • I hate Hulu. =__= I would've expected them to have more anime by now though.
  • I really like Hulu, its not good for movies, but it gives me a place to watch the Daily Show, Colbert, and the few other TV shows I watch.
    Don't bother correcting people in the forum anymore. I'm setting up a special sort of punishment for repeat offenders that will be ready this weekend.
    Repeat offenders of grammar errors or repeat offenders of correcting grammar errors?
  • Repeat offenders of grammar errors or repeat offenders of correcting grammar errors?
    Both.
  • Repeat offenders of grammar errors or repeat offenders of correcting grammar errors?
    Both.
    Ooh...Interesting. This oughta be fun to watch.
  • It's a good thing that I am neither :p

There's only one thing I don't like about Hulu's anime... the commercial breaks. It's not that I mind the advertising (since that's what keeps the site free,) but rather their placement. Half hour anime tends to be divided into halves, whereas American half hour shows are divided into three. Anime on this site is divided into three by the ads, but it seems they're just plopped into the middle of the show, where breaks are not intended. This takes me out of the mood and interrupts the narrative. I wish Hulu would be a little smarter with their ads in regards to anime. Perhaps if they had an ad before the show starts and two in the middle where the break is supposed to be I wouldn't mind as much.
  • Anime World Order was just talking about this problem with watching anime on the Sci-Fi Channel as well, especially in regards to Gurren Lagann. They said that it was essentially unwatchable on that network due to the commercials, given that each episode has only one mini-climax written with a break in mind rather than having a bunch of mini-climaxes the way American shows do. Makes me sad to hear. :(
  • edited October 2008
    I could care less about commercial placement, but I did notice that on Mushi-Shi, they left off the last 14 episodes. Also, for those of you who have a PS3 and/or XBox 360, I recommend picking up PlayOn.
    Post edited by Shaun on
  • edited October 2008
    I've been watching 24 on Hulu for the past couple days. It weird that they've only got episodes 1-5 and 7 on there.

EDIT: Hmmm, I'm not really sure why I posted this in an anime thread. Please excuse me.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Ok, so Hulu have added some more anime, among the ones worthy of mentioning are the Slayers and School Rumble :D