This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime in America, evolutionary history

edited October 2008 in Anime
I'm writing a paper on the evolution of anime in the USA, both with the industry and the fanbase, and was wondering if anyone knew of some good sources that I could use.

Thanks!

Comments

edited October 2008
    Wikipedia and Google, continue from there, and of course your library, but that's on the internet also, so yeah.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    If you want good information about the history of anime in the US from the 60s to the late 90s, and if you can find it (maybe a library has it?) I highly recommend The Complete Anime Guide by Trish Ledoux, Doug Ranney, and Fred Patten. There are several different comprehensive timelines in this book (e.g.: one shows which anime was on American TV during which years, another shows what was going on in fandom), as well as several interesting essays on various topics. It's a bit of a rare book, so I don't know if you'll be able to find it, but if you do, it's a great resource that covers up to about 1996/7.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • On Anime World Order they talked to some older fans who were around in the 1st or 2nd generation of anime fandom. They gave a great first hand insight.
  • Where do the generations start and end? The pre-Sci-Fi generations, the Sci-Fi generation, the Toonami generation, and the Naruto generation? That's always confused me.
  • You can get a lot of information from AWO just look for the episodes in which they talk about old anime. Such as Macross, Yamato, Astroboy, Tezuka, etc
    I think when it comes to fan base is kind of weird since people went from being fans of good shows such as Macross, Yamato, Astroboy into becoming Narutards or cat girls :(
  • Where do the generations start and end? The pre-Sci-Fi generations, the Sci-Fi generation, the Toonami generation, and the Naruto generation? That's always confused me.
    A rough outline:

-Astro Boy/ Speed Racer fans
    -Starblazers fans
    -Robotech fans
    -Sailor Moon/ DBZ fans
    -Pokemon fans
    -Naruto fans

Those are the anime that stirred up people to get into anime in an significant number. They act as names of the waves of new fans who came in because of them. It's a separator to show how long you been in fandom. Each wave is called a generation.