This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm need a laptop

edited October 2008 in Technology
Hey all, I know that this topic comes up every now and then, but I need a laptop. I'm need something that's good for video games, and can do basic Word and web searching (basically a gaming laptop). The size doesn't matter much, my price range is under $2000, hopefully under $1700 but if a few hundred makes that much of a difference I'm willing to pay. My biggest problem is that I'd like to be able to buy it in a store, I'm not a fan of credit cards. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Why would you buy it in a store when Newegg exists? You will pay double.

This will pwn any game you can play
  • Can you build your own laptop? I was just wondering...
  • What's the point of a gaming laptop? The point of a gaming machine is to be powerful. The point of a laptop is to be portable. If you make a powerful laptop, it will be large and heavy, and the battery life will be horrendously weak. That makes it effectively not portable. That defeats the purpose.

For about $1000 you can build an incredibly powerful desktop for gaming, and also get a pretty sweet full-on laptop for about $800 that can do everything but game. Why pay twice that price for the worst of both worlds?
  • ut $1000 you can build an incredibly powerful desktop for gaming, and also get a pretty sweet full-on laptop for about $800 that can do everything but game. Why pay twice that price for the worst of both worlds?
    No.
  • The only real use for a laptop of that power is to show 3D graphics to clients. Don't bother trying the whole "portable gaming" thing, it doesn't work. You'd be better served getting a microATX PC as well as a bag to carry the case and monitor then use the left over money to get a netbook.
  • ut $1000 you can build an incredibly powerful desktop for gaming, and also get a pretty sweet full-on laptop for about $800 that can do everything but game. Why pay twice that price for the worst of both worlds?
    No.
    Um, yes you can.
    No.
    Um, yes you can.
    Sorry, I meant to quote Skyshiro asking about building a laptop. If I actually am wrong, please let me know, because I've never seen anywhere you can buy laptop hardware such as a motherboard or case.
  • edited October 2008
    Sorry, I meant to quote Skyshiro asking about building a laptop. If I actually am wrong, please let me know, because I've never seen anywhere you can buy laptop hardware such as a motherboard or case.
    Hai, douzo. Please keep in mind that a gaming laptop cannot be used as a laptop (nor can anything above about 15"), once you hit 17" you just end up with a desktop you can tote around. The desktop + netbook/laptop combo would work better.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm thinking of getting an Eee as my laptop for college and then building a wicked powerful desktop with the money I save. I know a few people with 17" Laptops...Totally inconvenient.

On the upside, a lot of excellent old-school games will run on Eee hardware, making it an awesome LAN machine for stuff like Starcraft, Quake, and UT Classic.
  • Sorry, I meant to quote Skyshiro asking about building a laptop. If I actually am wrong, please let me know, because I've never seen anywhere you can buy laptop hardware such as a motherboard or case.
    Hai, douzo. Please keep in mind that a gaming laptop cannot be used as a laptop (nor can anything above about 15"), once you hit 17" you just end up with a desktop you can tote around. The desktop + netbook/laptop combo would work better.
    Domo arigato Omnutia-san!
  • One problem people forget about gaming on a laptop is that the keyboard is attached to the monitor. For fps games especially, that's a huge problem. You need to get your seat, hands, and head in a comfortable position. If the keyboard is attached to the screen, that really limits you. You could carry around a keyboard, but then you might as well get a laptop.

Also, if people are looking for Netbooks, they aren't a bad idea. However, the famous Eee might not be the way to go. Lots of other companies like HP and Dell are not getting into the Netbook business. You should check the competition before you buy one. The Dell mini 9 looks pretty good.

Also, when considering a netbook, also consider lower end full-on laptops. I bought my parents a normal 15" dell laptop running Ubuntu. It's wicked awesome for every day computing. Only $800ish after all expenses included.
  • The Dell mini 9 looks pretty good.
    That's an awesome setup. As long as it can run RTSs and older classics, I'm pretty much happy. Also, the Mini 9 has the added benefit of being priced like an original Eee but with all the power of an Eee 1000.
  • edited October 2008
    I'm thinking of getting an Eee as my laptop for college
    I'm also looking at getting a new laptop. This Eee looks like it does everything I currently need a computer to do. Plus I have a USB CD drive if I end up needing to install anything.
    About all I use my computer for these days is Firefox, Media Player Classic, and Word/Excel for class work.
    Post edited by ColdfireSerge on
  • Thiswill pwn any game you can play
    That's the laptop I bought when looking for computer for college and yes, it has pwned several games.
    What's the point of a gaming laptop? The point of a gaming machine is to be powerful. The point of a laptop is to be portable. If you make a powerful laptop, it will be large and heavy, and the battery life will be horrendously weak. That makes it effectively not portable. That defeats the purpose.

For about $1000 you can build an incredibly powerful desktop for gaming, and also get a pretty sweet full-on laptop for about $800 that can do everything but game. Why pay twice that price for the worst of both worlds?
    Actually for basic computing (such as taking notes, checking email, etc) I can get a good 2.5 hours of battery life. Since I don't need to be going full speed while in-class and taking notes, I can turn down the processor speed and brightness and it works out well. Plus, I'm not too hampered by the lack of portability with this machine since it's a 15.4" and relatively not that heavy.

So, for about $1000 I got a really powerful machine that handles anything I throw at it, and the portability of a laptop. It's certainly not the epitome of portability, but considering the price and the fact that I don't want to have to deal with multiple computers (space issues, etc), it works out well.
  • Dell just announced a mini 12. It's Japan only for now, but I would consider it if it were in the US.
  • I don't need extreme portability or battery life, a couple hours of batter and under 7lbs is fine. I have seen ASUS in action before and am a big fan, but I really want to be able to get my computer in a store. I know you all think that's amazingly stupid for numerous reasons, but not only does Newegg have no insurance policy that I am aware of, I have a really bad history with credit cards and don't like putting money on them.

Now, can anyone please suggest a laptop that I can get in a store?
  • I don't need extreme portability or battery life, a couple hours of batter and under 7lbs is fine. I have seen ASUS in action before and am a big fan, but I really want to be able to get my computer in a store. I know you all think that's amazingly stupid for numerous reasons, but not only does Newegg have no insurance policy that I am aware of, I have a really bad history with credit cards and don't like putting money on them.

Now, can anyone please suggest a laptop that I can get in a store?
    Newegg gives you the manufacturer's warranty,and the option to add extended warranties including stuff like accidental damage coverage. However, If you like Asus and really really want to buy one in the store, Best Buy has this one, which is similar to the previously cited M50vm-X1.

Also, money is money whether you put it on a credit card or spend cash. If spending cash is what it takes for you to ensure you have the money before you buy something, you're losing out in the long run; you will almost always find a better deal (especially on computer-related stuff) online.
  • Scott: I see your Dell Mini 9 and raise you an Acer Aspire One. 5 hours with a 6 cell and a 160GB HD.
  • As the Apple fan boy of FRCF, all I can recommend is a Mac, go figure.
  • edited October 2008
    Because apple makes a value for money machine that is in someway capable of playing games. Which Mac were you suggesting exactly?

The preceeding statement may come over as ever so slightly sarcastic but if someone was looking for an easy to maintain computer with a nice interface and money wasn't a concern, I wouldn't be recommending they buy an Eee PC, it's a question of suitability.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Scott: I see your Dell Mini 9 and raise you anAcer Aspire One. 5 hours with a 6 cell and a 160GB HD.
    Excellent.
  • Forums, I ask: Is included Bluetooth worth a $50 increase?
    I'm comparing this EEE with this one. All I can find different are Bluetooth and n network capability in the second. Plus it looks like the one without Bluetooth has a warranty, while the other doesn't claim to.
  • You may want to try out Circuit City for a laptop on Wednesday. That is their rumored day of liquidation and you might get some good deals.
  • You may want to try out Circuit City for a laptop on Wednesday. That is their rumored day of liquidation and you might get some good deals.
    So Wednesday is the day, eh?
  • edited November 2008
    Yeah, I know all of Cleveland stores and the one here in Canton is closing. I just don't know it if its worth going through the crowd unless the cut in price on electronics is drastic.

CNet Circut City
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Scott: I see your Dell Mini 9 and raise you anAcer Aspire One. 5 hours with a 6 cell and a 160GB HD.
    I just purchased one for my mother with the intent of installing Ubuntu. I will let you know how that goes. I am a mac geek but for my mother's needs this laptop will be perfect.